Kanye's NYT interview

DocMcCoyDocMcCoy "Go and laugh in your own country!" 5,913 Posts
edited June 2013 in Strut Central
No thread?

Read it here.

Rich in quotables and location material.
Justice could just be clearing a path for people to dream properly. It could be clearing a path to make it fair within the arena that I play. You know, if Michael Jordan can scream at the refs, me as Kanye West, as the Michael Jordan of music, can go and say, ???This is wrong.???
I don???t know if this is statistically right, but I???m assuming I have the most Grammys of anyone my age, but I haven???t won one against a white person.
[The Taylor Swift incident] only led me to complete awesomeness at all times. It???s only led me to awesome truth and awesomeness. Beauty, truth, awesomeness. That???s all it is.
I???m forever the 5-year-old of something.
You know, I was able to slip past everything with a pink polo, but I am Dead Prez. And now, because I was able to slip past, I have a responsibility at all times.
I am in the lineage of Gil Scott-Heron, great activist-type artists. But I???m also in the lineage of a Miles Davis ??? you know, that liked nice things also.
Architecture ??? you know, this one Corbusier lamp was like, my greatest inspiration.
I feel like I don???t want to be inside anymore. Like, I uninvited myself.
But ultimately, this guy that was talking to me doesn???t make Christmas presents, meaning that nobody was asking for his [stuff] as a Christmas present. If you don???t make Christmas presents, meaning making something that???s so emotionally connected to people, don???t talk to me.
I will be the leader of a company that ends up being worth billions of dollars, because I got the answers. I understand culture. I am the nucleus.

Comments

• FlomotionFlomotion 2,390 Posts
    If you don't make Christmas presents [...] don't talk to me.

• Jonny_PaycheckJonny_Paycheck 17,825 Posts
    Still can't decide. So much awesomeness (at all times).

• DocMcCoyDocMcCoy "Go and laugh in your own country!" 5,913 Posts

• cookbookcookbook 783 Posts
    shouts to J-Kwon

• JimsterJimster Cruffiton.etsy.com 6,889 Posts
    Wow.

So high on his own supply.

Props to dude for striking while his iron was hot, but I personally cannot see his body of work up there with Miles and GSH 20 years+ down the line.

That is just some silly chat.

• Is he being ironic with the Gil Scott Heron and Miles Davis comparisons.?

• white_teawhite_tea 3,262 Posts
    I thought the Miles comparison was on point and got the impression 'Ye was associating himself with him strictly on a want-of-material-possessions type thing.

• Jonny_PaycheckJonny_Paycheck 17,825 Posts
    Yes

• Can't hate on anyone who compares his own music to "Tipsy" is alright in my books. Yes he is a MASSIVE douche. But he is a good beatmaker, an ok rapper and you can't really argue the fact that his music has more hype and reach than most other rap.

The awesomest? Not sure about that.

• Fred_GarvinFred_Garvin The land of wind and ghosts 337 Posts
    white_tea said:
    I thought the Miles comparison was on point and got the impression 'Ye was associating himself with him strictly on a want-of-material-possessions type thing.
    Maybe, but if it was strictly that, there are a lot of people to whom that comparison could have been made. Unlike many of them, Miles Davis also happened to be a phenomenal musician... which Kanye isn't, irrespective of whether any of us enjoy his work. Given his inflated sense of 'awesomeness', I feel like he used that comparison out of a desire to see himself compared to Miles Davis in more ways than one.

• DJ_EnkiDJ_Enki 6,471 Posts
    Steve Jobs died so Kanye could live.

• Big_StacksBig_Stacks "I don't worry about hittin' power, cause I don't give 'em nuttin' to hit." 4,670 Posts
    Sheeeeeeeet, Kanye still needs to go see the Wizard to get some breakbeats!!! Dude should stop with the egomania, really.

Peace,

Big Stacks from Kakalak

• 4YearGraduate4YearGraduate 2,945 Posts
    done and done
    ------------------

• Controller_7Controller_7 4,052 Posts
    It would have been awesome if they titled the article:

K.West the Mad Lad

Controller_7 said:
    It would have been awesome if they titles the article:

K.West the Mad Lad

Damn. That really was a missed opportunity.

• HarveyCanalHarveyCanal "a distraction from my main thesis." 13,234 Posts
    101 Things to Do While I'm with Your Girl Shopping for Scarves.

• dayday 9,611 Posts

"I just talked to Jesus / he said, 'What up, Yeezus?' I said, 'shit, I'm chillin' / trying to stack these millions / I know he the Most High / but I am a close tie / Mi casa (es) su casa / that's our cosa nostra ??? I am a god ???"

/eyeroll

I'm not even sure if this is a marketing stunt or dude really believes this.

• Hotsauce84Hotsauce84 8,450 Posts
    This is the best interview with him I've ever read. Normally his interviews make me hate him, which affects the way I listen to his music. This interview gives me a little insight. I like the anecdote about his basketball days in school. Yeah he's narcissistic and an ego-maniac but it seems like that frustration and anger from his youth made him push harder BUT he never lost that anger.

And believe it or not, I do respect his trendsetting.

• bassiebassie 11,710 Posts
    crabmongerfunk said:

Been saying the same thing for years...not for those reasons as much as dealing with trauma/loss

HarveyCanal said:
    101 Things to Do While I'm with Your Girl Shopping for Scarves.

• i'm not even mad at any of this. love it, matter of fact. sure, he's either dealing with weapons-grade narcissism or bi-polar mania, and at this point it's just a matter of WHICH sociopathic affliction he's affected by.... it's all very andy kaufman-esque from the jump.

but isn't this EXACTLY who we want to be our rock star? some deliberately egomaniacal person whose music might not be the greatest we've ever heard, but at the very least stands up to even the most harsh critics to a certain degree?

• rootlesscosmorootlesscosmo 12,848 Posts
    Herm said:

And believe it or not, I do respect his trendsetting.

oh we believe it alright.

• mrmatthewmrmatthew 1,575 Posts
    I serisously find most everything that this guy does fascinating, be it his actual "art" or the way he portrays himself in the media.
    I think i am in the miniorty, however.

• Hotsauce84Hotsauce84 8,450 Posts
    vintageinfants said:

but isn't this EXACTLY who we want to be our rock star? some deliberately egomaniacal person whose music might not be the greatest we've ever heard, but at the very least stands up to even the most harsh critics to a certain degree?

Exactly. I know fools who hate this guy yet talk about how badass/arrogant/"didn't give a f*ck"/crazy some long dead legendary rock star was.

• HarveyCanalHarveyCanal "a distraction from my main thesis." 13,234 Posts
    Herm said:
    vintageinfants said:

Exactly. I know fools who hate this guy yet talk about how badass some long dead legendary rock star was.

Yeah, fuck Kanye! And fuck Beethoven!

• bassiebassie 11,710 Posts
    I think he's an amazing producer, but am not a fan of his rap style or content too much. I think I would be more entertained by Planet Kanye if I were a hardcore fan. I also lost a lot of respect when he retracted his Katrina telethon comment. A decidely un-awesome back-pedal.

His antics make for a good read and some amusing pictures, but there is a trainwreck in slow motion quality that I can't shake.

• rootlesscosmorootlesscosmo 12,848 Posts
    I will always celebrate some of his productions.

Annoying as shit as a rapper to ME, but I understand the appeal.

I'm not really WOWed by his OHSHITGRANDEURAWESOMNESS in any way; he's another hot music dude who's on top right now; he's not changing the landscape forever or otherwise creating some amazing lasting legacy. That whole part is self-promotion (at which he obviously excels).

hot beats tho.

• rootlesscosmo said:
    I will always celebrate some of his productions.

Annoying as shit as a rapper to ME, but I understand the appeal.

I'm not really WOWed by his OHSHITGRANDEURAWESOMNESS in any way; he's another hot music dude who's on top right now; he's not changing the landscape of anything or otherwise creating some amazing lasting legacy. That whole part is BS.

hot beats tho.

there's definitely a talented musician/producer somehwere behind all the quasi-bravado, but i think i wouldn't give a shit about him in any way if he was all meek and unassuming.

and i dont think anyone here actually THINKS he's some legendary force sent to change the landscape of music or other journalist hyperbole, but hes an interesting dude, kind of like a modern ..... jim morrison? (whose music i DONT like) and makes pretty good beats. that's more or less enough for me.