Outkast ID

RawbbieRawbbie 20 Posts
edited April 2013 in Strut Central
anyone know if the piano hook has ever been identified on this? surprised it's never been included with the bigger chases like Nas Is Like, Shook Ones II, etc etc.

Comments

• HarveyCanalHarveyCanal "a distraction from my main thesis." 13,234 Posts
    Doesn't sound like a sample to me.

• RawbbieRawbbie 20 Posts
    yeah you might be right... only thing that made it sound like a sample is the 'click/pop' sound when the loop replays.. happens a few times in the track... thats the only thing making me think it's lifted from somewhere

• volumenvolumen 2,532 Posts
    http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/ATLiens

The samples are few on that LP. They started using more live musicians.

Fully Rideable LP

• RawbbieRawbbie 20 Posts
    you right. listening to it closer, the piano licks are all 'live' and sound different even when the melody is repeated. kind of like you can never make a snare drum sound exactly the same when banging it twice in a row.

only thing that had me going was the 'pop' at each melody repeat - like it's a sample looping back to the beginning. It happens for the entire 1:06, at every melody repeat. Maybe they did it on purpose.

What a dope melody though, i'd love to know who played it

Rawbbie said:
    you right. listening to it closer, the piano licks are all 'live' and sound different even when the melody is repeated. kind of like you can never make a snare drum sound exactly the same when banging it twice in a row.

only thing that had me going was the 'pop' at each melody repeat - like it's a sample looping back to the beginning. It happens for the entire 1:06, at every melody repeat. Maybe they did it on purpose.

What a dope melody though, i'd love to know who played it

Sampling record static and pops is actually quite common. A lot of people do it just to give the brand new recording a vintage sound. I think it was Daft punk that talked about sampling "air" and putting it before and after drum hit just to give the sample some space.