Making of The Prodigy's Firestarter

DuderonomyDuderonomy Haut de la Garenne 7,784 Posts
edited April 2013 in Strut Central

I love these. Before the Voodoo People one and this I assumed most of the music was 'original' - so well put together and organic sounding, he was absolutely bossing it in 1995. Also respect for unpicking Howlett's work.

Comments

• DJBombjackDJBombjack Miami 1,665 Posts
    It's pretty well known (at least in the UK) that Howlett is a huge former b-boy - hence his use of Ultramagnetics

• DuderonomyDuderonomy Haut de la Garenne 7,784 Posts
    I always had the beats down as samples, just thought that he was playing the melodies & other noises with synths or something. Great to see how many layers are involved, and mind boggling to think how he did it with the equipment of the time.

• jammyjammy remixing bongo rock... 813 Posts
    man, i always knew he was clever, but after seeing that 'voodoo people' video i had a new found respect. and to think all of that was done on some akai racks and an atari.

• magpaulmagpaul 1,314 Posts
    I'd like to know what was sampled for the riff from Breathe. You'd think someone would have figured that out by now.

• Jilted Generation was a bit of a landmark album. Kind of went off them after that though.

• DJ_EnkiDJ_Enki 6,471 Posts
    jammy said:
    after seeing that 'voodoo people' video i had a new found respect. and to think all of that was done on some akai racks and an atari.

I was never into dude's tunes that much, but seeing how he made them was a real eye-opener. He flipped those samples hard--and it ain't like it was on some super-easy, do-it-in-Pro-Tools-X shit, either. I'm still not into dude's tunes, but he gets tons of props from me for his exceptional skill with samples and those machines.

• OkemOkem 4,617 Posts
    His demo tape from 1990

What Evil Lurks 0:00
    We're Gonna Rock 4:19
    Manic 8:53
    Drop The Bass 12:39
    Android II 16:30
    Your Love (EP) 21:22
    Pandemonia 27:23
    Charlie I 31:37
    Charlie II 36:49
    Dr Zupan 40:26