2046 (movie related)

marumaru 1,450 Posts
edited August 2005 in Strut Central
i nearly picked up the chinese dvd the other day based solely on reviews. seems like the type of flick i would like, but looking for some testimonials from soulstrut. hot or not?

Comments

• i havent seen it, but i "celebrate his whole catalog". uh, except for ashes of time. that one was dumb.

• PEKPEK 735 Posts
    i nearly picked up the chinese dvd the other day based solely on reviews. seems like the type of flick i would like, but looking for some testimonials from soulstrut. hot or not?

Saw this in Singapore last November; it's not terribly linear and although you don't need foreknowledge of 'In the Mood for Love,' it does help in embellishin' your understandin' of the overall narrative - Tony Leung delivers another on-point performance and Zhang Ziyi veers away from her stereotypical Wu Xia Pian role... Visuals are stunnin' although Wong Kar-Wai's traditional cinematographer Chris Doyle was complemented by others owin' to the long and protracted process that Wong took in makin' this film...

• AserAser 2,351 Posts
    more as a companion piece to ITMFL, but certainly worth watching. Although as an intro to wkw, I would recommend his older catalogue. My favs are probably ITMFL and Days of Being Wild.

http://www.wongkarwai.net/

• hertzhoghertzhog 865 Posts
    Not his best, but yeah, definitely worth watching. I didn't care for the sci-fi stuff at all-- totally unnecessary.

• johmbolayajohmbolaya 4,472 Posts
    I've had the HK DVD for about a year but haven't watched it. Yet all of the reviews are out this week so... perhaps something to do this week.

• djdazedjdaze 3,099 Posts
    I've had the HK DVD for about a year but haven't watched it. Yet all of the reviews are out this week so... perhaps something to do this week.

heh, I was just gonna write the same thing.

Something I keep meaning to watch but I end up buying and watching shit like "Bichunmoo" instead

• mannybolonemannybolone Los Angeles, CA 15,025 Posts
    I wasn't that into it. It's beautiful style but very little substance or narrative to hold it together. Then again, Zhang Ziyi and Gong Li both looked ridiculously amazing so the eye candy factor is pretty good. Just don't expect it to duplcate ITMFL.

• parenparen 537 Posts
    cosig. this is not one of his best, but it's visually impressive. have some caffiene handy. i enjoyed it the most on my third viewing... considering checking it in the theatre as it rolls through as well...

m*arky*n,

cholla at me, kid -- i totally spaced that i was gonna send you a copy of this dvd.

• MondeyanoMondeyano Reykjavik 863 Posts
    ...Zhang Ziyi veers away from her stereotypical Wu Xia Pian role...
    Indeed.

• johmbolayajohmbolaya 4,472 Posts
    I wasn't that into it. It's beautiful style but very little substance or narrative to hold it together. Then again, Zhang Ziyi and Gong Li both looked ridiculously amazing so the eye candy factor is pretty good. Just don't expect it to duplcate ITMFL.

See, that's how I felt. In The Mood For Love has since become one of my favorites movies (up there with Brazil and Woodstock). Perhaps it's time to check it out, though.

• twoplytwoply Only Built 4 Manzanita Links 2,914 Posts
    When not compared to anything, it's very good. Happy Together is my favorite.

• 99Problems99Problems 1,541 Posts
    Was Tony Leung playing the same character in this? It was definitely implied but this wasn't advertised as a sequel to ITMFL.

Also, my understanding was that when they started filming this 5 and a half years ago, it was supposed to be set entirely in the future. Wong Kar Wai scrapped the whole picture and begin completely re-filming two years into the production!

After watching this film, it seems to me that he is out of ideas. "Oh well, it was still beautiful to look at" seems to be the consensus. Those women were all lookin' right, especially Faye Wong. There is a shot of her towards the end that made my face do this

• Birdman9Birdman9 5,417 Posts
    Fallen Angels[/b] is my favorite. But I have not seen 2046 yet

• twoplytwoply Only Built 4 Manzanita Links 2,914 Posts
    Was Tony Leung playing the same character in this? It was definitely implied but this wasn't advertised as a sequel to ITMFL.

Also, my understanding was that when they started filming this 5 and a half years ago, it was supposed to be set entirely in the future. Wong Kar Wai scrapped the whole picture and begin completely re-filming two years into the production!

After watching this film, it seems to me that he is out of ideas. "Oh well, it was still beautiful to look at" seems to be the consensus. Those women were all lookin' right, especially Faye Wong. There is a shot of her towards the end that made my face do this

Yes, the future concept was scrapped due to budget limitations. I don't think Wong Kar Wai was necessarily out of new ideas (in fact, I highly doubt that), rather he wanted to extend some of the concepts from In the Mood for Love. It's a more in-depth examination of one character's motivations and psychology.