Bizarro Wedding Invite... Scam?

soulmarcosasoulmarcosa 4,296 Posts
edited August 2005 in Strut Central
So last week I got a poorly-worded email invitation from a certain RALPH TOMMY to DJ a wedding party in a small NC town about 4.5 hours away. It seemed like a fairly sketchy proposition, as the party was from 12pm-10pm (kinda long for a wedding party), he said nothing about what kind of music he wanted, and didn't say anything about how he heard of me (I don't advertise as a wedding DJ).Still, whenever I'm a DJ "for hire" I always get a deposit in advance so I don't get burned, so I figured if he'll pay, I'll do it. So I ballparked an estimate of $2000, guessing it would be too steep and that would be the end of that. Nope. He said that would be fine as long as I "promised a good party" and please to send my name, address, phone number, ostensibly to send me a "cheque." At this point I was envisioning coming home to a ransacked house soon after sending the info, so I listed my office address instead (actually a big office complex), which is fully wired with a security system and is generally a lot safer than my house.I also sent him a more detailed estimate listing not only the fee but 2 nights motel stay, a vegan meal, and a sixpack of water. Here's what I got back:
I have invited another artist who based in uk to work along with you. it means you are working along with the orther artist and he has expressed his readiness to work with you.There is a friend of mine who are has promissed to contribute to the successful arrangement of the party So he has the decided to responsible for the payment of you and the other artist invited. I have forwarded to him your address where the payment will be mailled out to and he has told me that the payment willreach you on tine .so you people will have money to prepare for the party fully. In a couple of days now you will have your full payment and i want you to promise me that you will make the party a very good one. Pls get back to me and feel free for any other question you may need to ask. Thanks for you co operation all the time
What? He's"invited another artist?" "Based in the UK"??? What the hell is going on here?By the broken English of previous emails, I had a feeling it might be someone hiring me for an Indian wedding (though they never mentioned this), and importing an artist from the UK actually dovetails with that theory. And now I'm thinking he must be under the impression I'm a recording artist, not just a dude who spins records.Still, I'm confused as fuck. The whole exchange reads more like a dialogue with a shady French eBayer than someone who wants me to DJ a wedding.Thoughts?

Comments

• DjArcadianDjArcadian 3,630 Posts
    Sounds like a scam. You're probably gonna get a cashiers check for like $5K. He'll ask you to refund the $3K or give it to the "other artist" who'll pick it up from you.

• coffinjoecoffinjoe 1,743 Posts
    where is four & a half hours from you in NC ?
    some outer bank island ??

• mannybolonemannybolone Los Angeles, CA 15,025 Posts
    All I know is that if your spidey sense is tingling on this one, I'd take a pass unless you have some other way to check that everything is legit.

• djannadjanna 1,543 Posts
    why don't you ask for dude's phone number and give him a call to suss him out better?

• careful marcosa, theres some weird peeple in them hills

• volumenvolumen 2,532 Posts
    careful marcosa, theres some weird peeple in them hills

Do the directions say "last house on the left"?

• GrafwritahGrafwritah 4,184 Posts
    Have you considered asking him? I know that's a strange approach, but actually relaying your concerns to the source may be a viable option.

• soulmarcosasoulmarcosa 4,296 Posts
    why don't you ask for dude's phone number and give him a call to suss him out better?

That's actually what I'm gonna do tomorrow. I need to talk to this guy IRL and figure out just what the hell is going on.

BTW, 4.5 hours away from me is in the mountains somewheres. Luckily my wife's family are mountain folk and should have the connections to lay the smack down if needed.

If things get more interesting as I feel this out, ya'll definitely will get the updates.

• soulmarcosasoulmarcosa 4,296 Posts
    Some more updates...

I wrote

Thanks -

Can we discuss some details over the phone?

My cell is xxx.xxx.xxxx. I have free long-distance calling so I can call you
    if you prefer.

-Marco

He responded

Like i have told you the last time am not in the country because of the arrangements and the service and recepetion of the place is very bad and that is why i think for now we have to discuss for now through mail, plsget to me if your want me to go ahead with the payment or you want me to stop it
    pls get back to me asap

So I wrote back

Ralph:
    Before sending any payment, please send me the following details:

1. Complete address of the venue (plus contact info for the venue manager)
    2. Date and time that I would be DJing
    3. Name and contact info for the UK artist appearing at the event
    4. Name and contact info for the person responsible for payment
    5. The type of music you want played at the event
    6. How you found out about my DJ service

Thanks!
    Marco

How long before he tells me about a frozen Ethiopian bank account that only I can help him access?

• MondeyanoMondeyano Reykjavik 863 Posts

How long before he tells me about a frozen Ethiopian bank account that only I can help him access?
    5 hours max.

• DjArcadianDjArcadian 3,630 Posts
    I always love fucking with these dudes. I usually tell them I was able to get the money but I'm having trouble sending it. Sometimes dudes get really heated.

• FatbackFatback 6,746 Posts
    go with your gut feelings. Mine are that this dude is full of shit. I would pull out. This seems like a disaster waiting to happen.

Cosign on the "smells like the cashier's check scam" in the making.

• DrWuDrWu 4,021 Posts
    Luckily my wife's family are mountain folk and should have the connections to lay the smack down if needed.

Now listen here Rajiv, you told our boy Marco that he was getting paid. Don't make me square dance on your turban.

• man, see if you can get that money in hand. tell him he's gotta pay up front...NOW. that should clear up everything. once you get the loot, then you can decided whether to do it or not.

• asprinasprin 1,765 Posts

I know you just didn't go there.

[color:#999999] [translation]get my motherland out your mouth[/translation] [/color]

• How long before he tells me about a frozen Ethiopian bank account that only I can help him access?
    I know you just didn't go there.

[color:#999999] [translation]get my motherland out your mouth[/translation] [/color]

Yeah, isn't it Nigeria where they're having all the banking problems...??

• dsandersdsanders 495 Posts
    Ask him to send you some OG Nigerian press Fela records as proof of his legitimate business connections with the government and good intentions.

• Yo! What if that UK artist is Paul Oakenfold! Marco... If you come up large with this gig...

You will be big time now!

• SwayzeSwayze 14,705 Posts
    Yo! What if that UK artist is ELTON JOHN[/b] ! Marco... If you come up large with this gig... You will be now!

• Luckily for us, this little DJ invitation had another chapter. This time I didn't get a RALPH TOMMY email, but one (ostensibly) from the UK artists themselves, which quite blatantly laid out the next phase of what was obviously a scam all along:

i was introduce to you by mr RALPH TOMMY, I was told that you and i
    are to play at his party that will hold in united state
    I am an artist of fuji based in uk with 15 years experiece and 10 man band i have travelled out of the country to europe and america.
    I will be looking forward to hear from you, so i can know you better.
    Thanks
    Moreso, he informed me that you are to send to me my service charge(money). Please get back to me as soon as the paymeny is through, so i can go ahead with the preparations and arrange for my travelling documents down to USA.
    The Chairman Ultimate Fuji Band.

Not really enthusiastic about sending this "band" their "service charge(money)" out of my own pocket, I responded accordingly, with apologies to the Soulstrut massive for not being more entertaining in my response.

Hello:

Sorry for the misunderstanding. "Ralph Tommy" asked me to DJ an event, and then told me that a UK artist (you, I assume) would also be playing. He then said another party (not himself) would be paying me & you for our services. When I asked him for specifics (venue, UK artist name, name of party that would be responsible for payment), I got no response from Mr. Tommy.

BE VERY CLEAR: I have signed NO agreement with Mr. Tommy. I have promised NO services to him. And I certainly am NOT in charge of paying for any of YOUR arrangements.

You should take up any such issues with Mr. Tommy. If he wrongly informed you that I was responsible for your payment, rest assured that I will not be working with him at all.

And to Mr. Tommy: please do not contact me again regarding hiring my DJ services. With this email from "Ultimate Fuji Band," it is clear that you approached me with fraudulent intentions from the very start. I am willing to end this conversation right now with no legal action, but should you press the matter, I will not hesitate to contact the proper fraud investigation authorities.

- DJ Marco

In other words, MR. RALPH TOMMY:

• dayday 9,611 Posts
    Luckily for us, this little DJ invitation had another chapter. This time I didn't get a RALPH TOMMY email, but one (ostensibly) from the UK artists themselves, which quite blatantly laid out the next phase of what was obviously a scam all along:

i was introduce to you by mr RALPH TOMMY, I was told that you and i

are to play at his party that will hold in united state

I am an artist of fuji based in uk with 15 years experiece and 10 man band i have travelled out of the country to europe and america.

I will be looking forward to hear from you, so i can know you better.

Thanks

Moreso, he informed me that you are to send to me my service charge(money). Please get back to me as soon as the paymeny is through, so i can go ahead with the preparations and arrange for my travelling documents down to USA.

The Chairman Ultimate Fuji Band.

Not really enthusiastic about sending this "band" their "service charge(money)" out of my own pocket, I responded accordingly, with apologies to the Soulstrut massive for not being more entertaining in my response.

Hello:

Sorry for the misunderstanding. "Ralph Tommy" asked me to DJ an event, and then told me that a UK artist (you, I assume) would also be playing. He then said another party (not himself) would be paying me & you for our services. When I asked him for specifics (venue, UK artist name, name of party that would be responsible for payment), I got no response from Mr. Tommy.

BE VERY CLEAR: I have signed NO agreement with Mr. Tommy. I have promised NO services to him. And I certainly am NOT in charge of paying for any of YOUR arrangements.

You should take up any such issues with Mr. Tommy. If he wrongly informed you that I was responsible for your payment, rest assured that I will not be working with him at all.

And to Mr. Tommy: please do not contact me again regarding hiring my DJ services. With this email from "Ultimate Fuji Band," it is clear that you approached me with fraudulent intentions from the very start. I am willing to end this conversation right now with no legal action, but should you press the matter, I will not hesitate to contact the proper fraud investigation authorities.

- DJ Marco

In other words, MR. RALPH TOMMY:

WOW it's the same Nigerian scam flipped for the Bhangra set! Incredible.

• alieNDNalieNDN 2,181 Posts
    nomination to replace suspect graelming with "Ultimate Fuji Band"

• "Ultimate Fuji Band"
    "Ultimate Fuji Band"
    "Ultimate Fuji Band"
    "Ultimate Fuji Band"
    "Ultimate Fuji Band"
    "Ultimate Fuji Band"
    "Ultimate Fuji Band"
    "Ultimate Fuji Band"
    "Ultimate Fuji Band"

• dayday 9,611 Posts
    SADISTIC FUJI BAND

• mylatencymylatency 10,475 Posts
    SADISTIC FUJI BAND

LOL

• SooksSooks 714 Posts

• shoulda led them on like they do on those other Nigerian Scammer Buster sites. That way they coulda sent you pics of themselves in their "Ultimate Fuji Band" outfits.

And made them hold a sign saying "DJ MARCO".

while wearing speedos.

E-mail them back. We can work with this.

• Hello,

May I use this opportunity to introduce my self as MRS. TAMI
    SAVIMBI I am the wife to the late MR. GREAT JONAS SAVIMBI, the leader
    of the Angolan revolutionary group know as the (UNITA) who died while
    on active duty in an effort to liberate our people .I am currently in
    possession of (Fifty eight Million United State Dollars) which I
    intended to use for investment purposes specifically in your country.
    The money came about as a result of my late husband's inability to
    proceed with the purchase of military hardware. I traveled immediately
    to my late husband????????s residence in South Africa we he was killed and
    discovered the sum of FIFTY EIGHT MILLION DOLLARS cash hidden under his
    under ground safe.Due to my status as a refugee, I cannot invest these
    funds here in South Africa, I therefore seek your assistance in
    transferring this funds out of South Africa, all necessary arrangement
    has been made by me. if this proposal will interest you, contact my son
    who is staying in UNITED KINGDOM as a refugee via this security Tel:
    +447040112006 or Fax:+448700686501 Please keep this transaction at
    utmost secrecy while I await your response via my son.

Regards
    Mrs.
    Savimbi.

• ReynaldoReynaldo 6,054 Posts
    FIFTY EIGHT MILLION DOLLARS cash

• FIFTY EIGHT MILLION DOLLARS cash

damn you could buy a lot of heatrocks with that. and it would be an "investment" at the same time.