Kendra Morris: What's the verdict?

yuichiyuichi Urban sprawl 11,331 Posts
edited January 2013 in Strut Central

Comments

• Big_ChanBig_Chan 5,088 Posts
    Great! Love all her material. I can't believe she is not more popular.

• jammyjammy remixing bongo rock... 813 Posts
    yep, i play her stuff in my dj sets all the time. good stuff.

• Listened to the album once and wasn't too keen. Been meaning to give it another try.

• first time i heard of her. it's extremely "feist" and the hipster quotient in the videos is off the charts but this is not bad. i think this could actually appeal to a more adult contemporary crowd, i might cop this for my dad. she has potential.

• ReynaldoReynaldo 6,054 Posts
    She's a nose job and a positive pitchfork review away from being something. Maybe.

• yuichiyuichi Urban sprawl 11,331 Posts
    hipster quotient in the videos is off the charts but this is not bad.

The album Banshee is really starting to grow on me.

• I heard of her a year or two ago from some Doc Delay edits posted hear. Everything I've heard from her since has been spot on! I most definitely ride for this.

• Reynaldo said:
    She's a nose job and a positive pitchfork review away from being something. Maybe.

:beerbang:

• Reynaldo said:

:beerbang:

• her Pink Floyd cover is great

That concrete waves jam is awesome too

I dig

• p_gunnp_gunn 2,284 Posts
    her [strike]Pink Floyd[/strike] Metallica cover is great

• bassiebassie 11,710 Posts
    Not being a Winehouse fan, she's not to my taste.

Also - Not that adult contemporary can't be good music, but I am having a hard time seeing the difference between this and popular AC.
    Can't see why she's wouldn't be big if Winehouse and Adele are.

• DelayDelay 4,530 Posts
    Reynaldo said:
    so now we know who writes all that bullshit on youtube.
    If you ever get tired of record shopping on ebay, and decide to join people out in the real world, hope you don't see me.

• jamesjames chicago 1,863 Posts
    bassie said:
    To me she sounds a little blurrier and more noncommittal than either of them.

Vocally, she's got her slurry Soul Voice and her chilled, crisper Jazz Voice, but they bleed into each other in unfortunate ways, leaving her jazz cooing sounding kinda lazy and indistinct and her soul belting sounding kinda brittle.

Musically, I feel like most of it is filtered through a console on which there is a knob labelled "Wu-Tang," and which can be turned up or down, but never turned off completely. And I don't mean that as flippantly as it may sound: Seriously, of the dozen or so things I've checked out, about ten of them have That Snare and Those Chops, and/or live-played approximations of same. Though I did listen to one thing she did that sounds a little like Debra Laws. Or at least like that Jennifer Lopez song that sampled Debra Laws.

Maybe I've just listened to the wrong things, but this isn't for me.

• pcmrpcmr 5,591 Posts
    i agree and am also left lukewarm
    i liked primo's approach to the remix though...i would be pleasantly surprised to hear this in a hotel lounge but not hooked enough to play this on my ipod...if pop could follow this route instead of the epic faux-indie rock (we are youuuung!) than it would be a positive

• DelayDelay 4,530 Posts

• batmonbatmon 27,574 Posts
    She has a good voice, but id like her to commit to a sound.

Comparing her to other White Soul singers in the past ten or so years the ones that have gained some heat have albums that have one type of sound.

B-Level (not too popular) singers Alice Russell and and i cant recall the MTV hippie chic that did the crusty blues for her first album and then got w. Saadiq and fell off, and the Italian Funky Soul chic that hasnt broke threw but had a decent promotion push. All three committed to a "sound". Nikki Costa....and Joss Stone.

And its unfair for me to lump her according to skin color, in the end.

Doc played me some joints a minute ago and she has a magic, but somethin is missing IMO. But there is also a trap if she commits to a trendy producers sound and rides that shit for 2 album, if she splits from that sound shit could be like some Kelis shit. Dont wanna be too producer dependant but not too undefinable.

Blued Eyed Soul?
    Williamsburg Neo Funk?
    Overchurned Gangstarr Beats?

• yuichiyuichi Urban sprawl 11,331 Posts

Vocally, she's got her slurry Soul Voice and her chilled, crisper Jazz Voice, but they bleed into each other in unfortunate ways, leaving her jazz cooing sounding kinda lazy and indistinct and her soul belting sounding kinda brittle.

I hear what you're saying about her voice or style lacking that punch. "sounding lazy and instinct". I felt this way the first time around. But I feel like this combined with lyrics that half the time don't make sense, are what makes her different.

• JimsterJimster Cruffiton.etsy.com 6,894 Posts
    batmon said:
    Alice Russell

That is who I thought it was the first time I heard her.

Kendra has a good voice but I don't think she's got as good a voice as Alice. And Alice has struggled to make it. IMHO Alice's tunes have not been strong enough and I'd say the same for Kendra. However, Kendra has the advantage of being American, having access to hipper production and having tattoos. Even if she just breaks NYC, she's making dough.

She's also willing to play the novelty-cover card which may get her more airplay, but I have not been moved by the tunes so far. I am no fan of that neo tambourine-soul that Ronson blessed Winehouse with and now everyone thinks those shoes need filling.

BTW, this is my fave Russell product:

J i m s t e r said:
    neo tambourine-soul

:oh_my:

• JimsterJimster Cruffiton.etsy.com 6,894 Posts
    You up early or partying late?

J i m s t e r said:
    You up early or partying late?

IM BATMON.......

• bassiebassie 11,710 Posts
    james said:
    bassie said:

Yes.

I cited Adele and Winehouse because Morris sounds somewhere between the two of them to me. I like Adele, her voice has warmth and depth...both of which are lacking in Winehouse and Morris for me. The genre/sound might be the latter two singers' takes on soul, but their voices don't have any imo.

• kalakala 3,361 Posts
    Delay said:
    Reynaldo said:
    If you ever get tired of record shopping on ebay, and decide to join people out in the real world, hope you don't see me.

this interaction truly warms my heart for many reasons and gives hope that teh strut is indeed "BACK"

• ReynaldoReynaldo 6,054 Posts
    kala said:
    Delay said:
    Reynaldo said:

this interaction truly warms my heart for many reasons and gives hope that teh strut is indeed "BACK"
    My objective assessment of her prospects for success are right and in line with the harsh realities of the entertainment industry/world, and have been confined to this thread. If Delay wants to risk a civil lawsuit over a perceived slight to Kendra Morris' honor and good name, more power to him. I want to get paid.

• Reynaldo said:
    kala said:
    Delay said:
    Reynaldo said:

My objective assessment of her prospects for success are right and in line with the harsh realities of the entertainment industry/world, and have been confined to this thread. If Delay wants to risk a civil lawsuit over a perceived slight to Kendra Morris' honor and good name, more power to him. I want to get paid.

Reynaldo has been a member 1 month longer, and has more posts, so clearly he is right.

Back on topic please

• DelayDelay 4,530 Posts

• DelayDelay 4,530 Posts
    listen @1:27

• parallaxparallax no-style-having mf'er 1,266 Posts
    I think with the right handling, she could breakthrough. She has chops, no doubt. Whether or not she's your "style" is one thing. But she is talented.