Where to file Santana?

dirtydirty 93 Posts
edited December 2012 in Strut Central
I just recently inherited a good size lot of 70's rock records which has forced me to make shelf space. The bulk of my collection is funk/soul/jazz/reggae/hiphop. I've always separated hip hop and reggae but filed my soul funk jazz fusion together. When my rock section was smaller I'd file them alphabetically into the that shelf space as well. Stuff like Steely Dan, CCR and Santana to name a few. Not that many. While I was moving some of that stuff to my new rock section I hesitated on Santana because of some of the records he did with people like Alice Coltrane and John McLaughlin. I mean it really doesn't matter because I know where it lives but It got me curious to where other collectors might file their Santana records.

thanks

Comments

• If you are going to file it, rather than putting it in the resale box, file it under rock. If your rock section has sub-genre, go ahead and put it in the Stadium Rock section along with Loggins and messiah, Cher, Rare Earth, ect.

• dirtydirty 93 Posts
    GatorToof said:
    If you are going to file it, rather than putting it in the resale box, file it under rock. If your rock section has sub-genre, go ahead and put it in the Stadium Rock section along with Loggins and messiah, Cher, Rare Earth, ect.

Ha!!! some of them might end up there. A few I'd like to keep though. My next question was going to be where to shelve my Loggins and Messina jawns.

• The_NonThe_Non 5,691 Posts
    dirty said:
    GatorToof said:
    If you are going to file it, rather than putting it in the resale box, file it under rock. If your rock section has sub-genre, go ahead and put it in the Stadium Rock section along with Loggins and messiah, Cher, Rare Earth, ect.

Ha!!! some of them might end up there. A few I'd like to keep though. My next question was going to be where to shelve my Loggins and Messina jawns.
    The dumpster

• The_Non said:

The dumpster

Lol, while you are there you might as well throw yourself in the dumpster too.

Hahaha

• GatorToof said:

Cher = stadium rock???

• pickwick33 said:
    GatorToof said:

Cher = stadium rock???

Ahahaha!!!

Well certain 45's of here's on Geffen (I think) that are not available for me to reference at the moment, I put into stadium rock because I dont think they are fast, loud, or synth enough for the next sub genre that I call 80's Wave. And also do not put her in with my what-I-call classic rock, rock because it is a flexi disc single and sounds more produced IMO than the majority of the classic-rock, rock.

So my "resolution" now goes classic rock, rock (mixed together until I have time to separate them) --> stadium rock --> 80's wave (including disco because I just don't have many disco 7"s).

See?

• My resolution is that Cher, if you had to categorize her as "rock" at all, is just mainstream Top 40 music.

If you had put her on some rock show in a stadium in the 70s with, say, Boston or Aerosmith, they would have booed her well into the next week.

• Lol, if you say so.

As long as you know where the record is then it is in the right place, IMO

• RAJRAJ tenacious local 7,779 Posts
    I have his Amigos LP filed in the Disco section:

Great record!