Rolling Stone's 50 Greatest Hip-Hop Songs Of All Time (rap threads on SS-r)

DocMcCoyDocMcCoy "Go and laugh in your own country!" 5,913 Posts
edited December 2012 in Strut Central
Full list here.

It isn't the actual content I have the biggest issue with; there's a lot of great music on there, although I think the inclusion of Mind Playing Tricks On Me in the top 10 is an obvious sop to Harvey. It's the fact that it gathers together three things I actively loathe - cosy rap nostalgia, lazy, list-based journalism and rock-crit values imposing themselves upon rap - in one handy package. On the other hand, there are probably a good few rap bloggers twisting themselves into a frothing rage because deadprez, Lupe Fiasco and Immortal Technique aren't on that list.

I mean, it's Rolling Stone, so whatever. But to give an example, just this week I read Christgau give exactly the same rating to Saigon's new album (at best, well-intentioned but boring - at worst, unpleasantly reactionary) as he did to Kendrick Lamar's (album of the year), so these kinds of value judgements are particularly bugging me at the moment. Plus, in 2012, I find I am still having the same old arguments (you know, those arguments) with people who really should know better.

Discuss. Or not.

Comments

• Jesus, 50 click-throughs?! Or am I missing a link for a single page list somewhere?

• DocMcCoyDocMcCoy "Go and laugh in your own country!" 5,913 Posts
    Herm said:
    Jesus, 50 click-throughs?! Or am I missing a link for a single page list somewhere?

Yeah, sorry, I should have mentioned the blatant click-bait aspect of the formatting. Even Prefix, which was where I first saw it, only did a precis of the top 10. It just feels like part of a massive conspiracy to waste everyone's time.

• francois parkerfrancois parker formerly know as Parkz. 125 Posts
    No 46: Push It
    I bloody hate that tracks.
    Salt n Pepa hadn't put a foot wrong until that track.

• francois parkerfrancois parker formerly know as Parkz. 125 Posts
    The list is really all over the place, and if is based on genuine votes is interesting , a real mix of proper underground seminal joints and stuff that crossed over to the mainstream (or aimed at the mainstream).

Missy / Get your freak on is in there, I banned DJs from playing that at the nights I used to put on.

• magpaulmagpaul 1,314 Posts
    1. The Message - Grandmaster Flash and the Furious Five
    2. Rapper's Delight - Sugarhill Gang
    3. Planet Rock - Afrika Bambaataa and the Soul Sonic Force
    4. Sucker MC's - Run-DMC
    5. Mind Playing Tricks on Me - Geto Boys
    6. Nuthin' But a 'G' Thang - Dr. Dre feat. Snoop Doggy Dogg
    7. Fight the Power - Public Enemy
    8. Juicy - The Notorious B.I.G.
    9. Straight Outta Compton - NWA
    10. Paid in Full - Eric B. & Rakim
    11. CREAM - The Wu-Tang Clan
    12. They Reminisce Over You (TROY) - Pete Rock & CL Smooth
    13. La Di Da Di - Doug E. Fresh and the Get Fresh Crew
    14. Rebel Without a Pause - Public Enemy
    15. **** tha Police - NWA
    16. Big Pimpin' - Jay-Z feat. UGK
    17. Peter Piper - Run-DMC
    18. Dear Mama - 2Pac
    19. Paul Revere - Beastie Boys
    20. In Da Club - 50 Cent
    21. Rock the Bells - LL Cool J
    22. Strictly Business - EPMD
    23. I Know You Got Soul - Eric B. and Rakim
    24. It Takes Two - Rob Base and DJ E-Z Rock
    25. Ain't No Half Steppin' - Big Daddy Kane
    26. Scenario - A Tribe Called Quest
    27. Flava in Ya Ear (Remix) - Craig Mack, Rampage, the Notorious B.I.G., LL Cool J, Busta Rhymes
    28. Lose Yourself - Eminem
    29. Mama Said Knock You Out - LL Cool J
    30. Hypnotize - The Notorious B.I.G.
    31. NY State of Mind - Nas
    32. Jesus Walks - Kanye West
    33. 99 Problems - Jay-Z
    34. P.S.K. What Does It Mean? - Schoolly D
    35. Shook One Pt. II - Mobb Deep
    36. Rosa Parks - OutKast
    37. It Was a Good Day - Ice Cube
    38. Get Ur Freak On - Missy Elliott
    39. My Name Is... - Eminem
    40. The Breaks - Kurtis Blow
    41. California Love - 2Pac & Dr. Dre
    42. South Bronx - Boogie Down Productions
    43. Top Billin' - Audio Two
    44. Me, Myself and I - De La Soul
    45. Lost Ones - Lauren Hill
    46. Push It - Salt-N-Peppa
    47. That's the Joint - Funky 4 + 1
    48. The Symphony - Marley Marl
    49. Adventures of Grandmaster Flash on the Wheels of Steel - Grandmaster Flash and the Furious Five
    50. B.O.B. (Bombs Over Baghdad) - OutKast

It feels like another very clear and obvious attempt to establish A Canon, but the consensus aspect completely undermines the whole exercise. I mean, I can understand why Juicy is in the top 10 on one level, but I can't think of anyone I know that has a clue about rap who'd say it was Biggie's best song. Personally, I'd put it where Hypnotize is on the list, and vice versa. If I were to put it there at all, that is.

And isn't it funny that all these people seem to agree that the high-water mark of the genre happens to be the exact point where the rock press finally declared that, yes, it was possible for rap music to exist on the same plane of artistic worth as rock. Seriously, man. Fuck. That. Noise.

• DuderonomyDuderonomy Haut de la Garenne 7,784 Posts
    I dunno, wouldn't expect much else from Rolling Stone. It's not a great list, but not the worst I've seen :smirk:

Duderonomy said:
    I dunno, wouldn't expect much else from Rolling Stone. It's not a great list, but not the worst I've seen :smirk:

Like I said, the actual content doesn't bother me so much. As a list of 50 great rap songs rather than The 50 Greatest Of All Time, there's not a lot there that I'd argue with. On the other hand, the guiding principles behind it (or what they appear to be) are absolute fucking cocksnot.

• batmonbatmon 27,574 Posts
    99 Problems shoulnt be on there. Jay-Z has better more seminal joints. Rockist guitar Rick Rubin shit.

Too many doubles on the list, the Beastie boys dont need two joints. As well as Run Dmc. and Flash.

other than that its not garbage.

• Would be nice to see the reaction of the Rolling Stone readership if EgoTrip compiled a list of the best 50 rock singles.

SP 1200 said:
    Would be nice to see the reaction of the Rolling Stone readership if EgoTrip compiled a list of the best 50 rock singles.

^^^ THIS.

• HarveyCanalHarveyCanal "a distraction from my main thesis." 13,234 Posts
    1. Fat Pat - Tops Drop.

• batmonbatmon 27,574 Posts
    magpaul said:

1. The Message - Grandmaster Flash and the Furious Five
    2. Rapper's Delight - Sugarhill Gang
    3. Planet Rock - Afrika Bambaataa and the Soul Sonic Force
    4. Sucker MC's - Run-DMC
    5. Mind Playing Tricks on Me - Geto Boys
    6. Nuthin' But a 'G' Thang - Dr. Dre feat. Snoop Doggy Dogg
    7. Fight The Power - Public Enemy
    8. Juicy - The Notorious B.I.G. Not so high up
    9. Straight Outta Compton - NWA Fuck tha Po should be here
    10. Paid in Full - Eric B. & Rakim I Know You Got Soul should be at this spot
    11. C.R.E.A.M. - The Wu-Tang Clan
    12. They Reminisce Over You (TROY) - Pete Rock & CL Smooth
    13. La Di Da Di - Doug E. Fresh and the Get Fresh Crew Live tape version > the latte pas vinyl version
    14. Rebel Without a Pause - Public Enemy
    15. **** tha Police - NWA
    16. Big Pimpin' - Jay-Z feat. UGK
    17. Peter Piper - Run-DMC yeah yeah..Raising Hell..whatever
    18. Dear Mama - 2Pac
    19. Paul Revere - Beastie Boys
    20. In Da Club - 50 Cent
    21. Rock the Bells - LL Cool J
    22. Strictly Business - EPMDThis some Clapton dick riding shit. Its My Thang/You Gots ta Chill over that lesser single.
    23. I Know You Got Soul - Eric B. and Rakim If your double up on him - Juice should be here
    24. It Takes Two - Rob Base and DJ E-Z Rock
    25. Ain't No Half Steppin' - Big Daddy Kane
    26. Scenario - A Tribe Called Quest
    27. Flava in Ya Ear (Remix) - Craig Mack, Rampage, the Notorious B.I.G., LL Cool J, Busta Rhymes
    28. Lose Yourself - Eminem
    29. Mama Said Knock You Out - LL Cool J
    30. Hypnotize - The Notorious B.I.G.
    31. NY State of Mind - Nas Great song but was this the signature song from Illmatic?
    32. Jesus Walks - Kanye West
    33. 99 Problems - Jay-Z Rick Rubin dick riding
    34. P.S.K. What Does It Mean? - Schoolly D
    35. Shook One Pt. II - Mobb Deep
    36. Rosa Parks - OutKast
    37. It Was a Good Day - Ice Cube
    38. Get Ur Freak On - Missy Elliott
    39. My Name Is... - Eminem
    40. The Breaks - Kurtis Blow
    41. California Love - 2Pac & Dr. Dre
    42. South Bronx - Boogie Down ProductionsThe Bridge Is Over
    43. Top Billin' - Audio Two
    44. Me, Myself and I - De La Soul
    45. Lost Ones - Lauren Hill
    46. Push It - Salt-N-Peppa
    47. That's the Joint - Funky 4 + 1
    48. The Symphony - Marley Marl
    49. Adventures of Grandmaster Flash on the Wheels of Steel - Grandmaster Flash and the Furious Five
    50. B.O.B. (Bombs Over Baghdad) - OutKast

• ppadilhappadilha 2,236 Posts
    this list is an epic feat of pedantry for the most part, but dude makes some good points when he gets around to some of the hip-hop reviews. I think they start around #243, there may be some before that:

http://rateyourmusic.com/list/schmidtt/rolling_stones_500_worst_reviews_of_all_time__work_in_progress_

This is more click-bait, but it's the kind of thing you'd never read in Rolling Stone.

• DocMcCoy said:
    This is more click-bait, but it's the kind of thing you'd never read in Rolling Stone.

Now THAT I clicked through. Thanks for sharing.

• edpowersedpowers 4,437 Posts
    The list is terrible. Rolling Stone shouldnt be excused for that garbage. They have a credible enough staff to do better.

DocMcCoy said:

6. A lot of classic, old-school hip-hop sucks.

But "golden-age" etc. came about because so much of it didn't, and still doesn't.

• That was a good read Doc.

Interesting point about golden era nostalgia. I'm part of a music group on Farcebook that was set up by guys in my hometown who are all of a similar age and were introduced to hip hop by buying Def Jam releases in the mid 80s.

I've made a conscious effort to promote only 2012 releases which largely go uncommented on but the moment a Juice Crew cut goes up it's smiles all round.

• top 50 mainstream hiphop singles that suburban mothers might know.

Duderonomy said:
    DocMcCoy said:

6. A lot of classic, old-school hip-hop sucks.

But "golden-age" etc. came about because so much of it didn't, and still doesn't.

Venerating old music at the expense of everything else (yes, I am aware of the irony) will eventually set you on the way to becoming that dude on YouTube comments who does nothing but complain about how music isn't as good as it used to be, while blaming Justin Bieber or One Direction for the death of Kurt Cobain or some equally stupid shit.

Nobody's saying we've all got to like the new shit, but what makes someone think that the people who do like it are interested in hearing somebody piss and moan about how much it fucking sucks? Besides, who'd seriously expect to change anyone's mind about music by force-feeding them something they've no interest in hearing? In any event, there's a world of difference between inventive throwback stuff like that Evitan album (which is great, btw) and tedious get-off-my-lawn rap like the new Saigon record.

I wouldn't usually do this, but I don't really feel like typing all this out again.

2. RBL Posse - Don't Give Me No Bammer Weed.

Things Everyone Thinks About Hip-Hop (But Nobody Will Say) - 6. A lot of classic, old-school hip-hop sucks.

This looks like a canard; it implies that those who prefer classic, old-school hip-hop think it was ALL good, and ALL better than what's out now. I don't know any hip-hop fans who would say this. What they might say (and I would go with) is that the scene was a lot healthier* & fresher/newer/more groundbreaking, but weighing up eras is easier with the passage of time. Give current rap ten or twenty years to marinate, and Rolling Stone's top 50 list might be very different. One of the other points in the article about personality > 'skills' reflects the changing landscape, as does the attack on sampling (supposedly = authenticity vs 'artificial' keyboard beats). If you have to 'do-down' an established fertile period in order to bolster something else, you've got a problem.

Most of the points in the article I agree with though, it's a good read.

* James' Tuesday factoid in the Stunts, Blunts thread for example, and I'm sure there were other weeks in golden-era hip-hop that won't be topped in a long time.

They need to name which old school classics they think suck. Otherwise, they're just shooting blanks with that bs blanket comment.

3. MC Breed & DFC - Ain't No Future in Yo' Frontin'.

• edpowersedpowers 4,437 Posts
    Man, the more i look at that list, the more it sucks.

• It's an arrogant gesture for them to suggest they've the insight to comment on what the greatest hip hop tracks are. Most of the choices are good tracks but it's not a top 50 list.

4. Organized Konfusion - Releasing Hypnotical Gases.

5. Rammellzee & K-Rob - Beat Bop.

6. DJ Quik - Tonight.