Big surprise: Americans are fat

Comments

• DjArcadianDjArcadian 3,630 Posts
    The BMI index the government uses is all out of wack though. At my height and age they say my ideal weight is 155 lbs. When I was 163 lbs. I was 14% bodyfat. At 155 lbs I would probably be around 10% bodyfat. A healthy average is something like 15% to 20% for my age range.

• Options
    Yep. I'll never forget a time at Denny's in Brooklin, Michigan whe I was there for my freinds Indy Race. There was this rather large couple mowing on mutliple plates with their baby, also large, eating beside them. When then waitres came over to ask (rather exhaistively) whether they had finished, the mother replied that she'd like a large take-out of mash potatoes and gravy "for the baby" (a saying that has worked it's way into me and my pals vernacular). I don't think the baby saw so much as a square centimenter of gravy skin.

K.

Waitress: Last Call

Me: I 'd like 3 pints of Guiness...for the baby.

Freinds: laughinng hysterically

Waitress: What the fuck?

• Options
    It was Big Boy, not Denny's.

K.

• GuzzoGuzzo 8,611 Posts
    Americans are fat cause there are more fatty fast food spots on every corner than fruitstands.

Advertising budget for fast food & Junk food is nearly 100x the advertising budget for the groups that grow and sell fresh healthy food.

I've been on a mission lately to put on weight in a healthy way (mostly muscle mass) and its funny but the weight gain advice I get from most, if not everyone is "what you need is some pork/ fried chicken/ (fill in the blank)

For the most part the words "health concious" & "American" become an oxymoron when applied together.

• hahaha.....at least i got job security!!!!!

• DjArcadianDjArcadian 3,630 Posts
    I've been on a mission lately to put on weight in a healthy way (mostly muscle mass) and its funny but the weight gain advice I get from most, if not everyone is "what you need is some pork/ fried chicken/ (fill in the blank)

Gaining muscle weight is hard. You could be a serious weight lifter lifting everyday and gain only 10 to 15 lbs. of muscle in a year. Genetics plays a large role in it as does diet. The rule of thumb I've heard from serious weight lifters is you want to eat a gram or two of protein for every pound you weigh. I've be told you should eat about 3000 calories a day and of those calories a third should be from protein, a third from carbs and a third from something else (fat maybe?). You will gain a lot of fat on a diet like this depending on how much cardio you do but for people serious about weight lifting it's the key.

If you didn't realize I used to be pretty serious into weight lifting. That was some 5 or so years ago though.