Big Boi: "Just really having fun, man, like a van full of Pakistans."

white_teawhite_tea 3,262 Posts
edited November 2012 in Strut Central
http://pitchfork.com/features/update/8998-big-boi/
Pitchfork: Why do you feel like this your strongest album sonically?

BB: I'm doing a lot of different things with my voice, it's more melodic. The first song I started singing on was "Elevators", but this is the real singy-singy. I call it my funk throat-- I utilized a lot of my funk throat a lot on this album. And I had people to bounce off of, like Yukimi [Nagano, from Little Dragon], or Sarah [Barthel] or Josh [Carter] from Phantogram. Just really having fun, man, like a van full of Pakistans. Every album has been an experimentation process. There are just different characters this time. Like, Yukimi's Aquarius, I'm Aquarius, Sarah's Aquarius-- there was a certain type of zodiac energy going on.

That deep funk throat, pause.

Comments

• white_teawhite_tea 3,262 Posts
    Also, Big Boi taking the Jay-Z-cosigning-Grizzley-Bear-and-Coldplay shit to an extreme, collaborating with every typographically-challenging named rapper on earth -- from the Pitchfork article "including T.I., kiD CuDi, B.o.B., A$AP Rocky, and Big K.R.I.T." -- as well as Modest Mouse and Kate Bush. I get it, like he says, "I don't give a fuck," but let's not get too crazy.

• y'all so stupid

• Yes!

Van Full of Tajikistans
    Van Full of Turkmenistans
    Van Full of Uzbekistans