A Tribe Called Quest and W.E.B. Du Bois?

lazolalazola 23 Posts
edited November 2012 in Strut Central
Sup Strut? It's been a minute since I've posted here. Anyway, had a question, or point of intrigue, to bounce off the collective heads here. Maybe someone can shed some light on this.

I've recently started re-reading W.E.B. Du Bois' seminal work, "The Souls of Black Folks". In the second chapter, "On the Dawn of Freedom," Du Bois is describing--amongst other events of the late nineteenth century, as it relates to recently freed slaves--the terrors of the Ku Klux Klan in the South during Reconstruction.

While reading on, I discovered something I hadn't noticed before; a particular phrasing I recognized from A Tribe Called Quest. On page 18, in his description of a KKK-led attack on a former slave mother and her baby, Du Bois says "aye, too, at his behest had laid herself low to his lust, and borne a tawny man-child to the world, only to see her dark boy's limbs scattered to the winds by midnight marauders riding after 'cursed Niggers.' These were the saddest sights of that woful day...."

Du Bios refers to the horse-backed KKK riders as "midnight marauders," and while it may well be a coincidence, is there any connection here to the ATCQ album? "Midnight Marauders" as a concept album, to me, seems to have little to no semblance or connection to this particular essay, or the works of W.E.B. Du Bios at large. Anyone here who could shed some light on this? It very well could be purely coincidental, and I'm willing to concede as much, but then again, "midnight marauders" as a literary phrase seems pretty unique, and thus may deserve some discussion (or acknowledgment) of the matter, at the very least.

I'm sure I'm hardly the first one to notice this connection, but didn't really find much chatter on the interwebs on the matter. What say you, Strut? Literature heads, holler.

Comments

• The_NonThe_Non 5,691 Posts
    I remember thinking that when I read Souls of Black Folks, and I think Tip and ASM are pretty well read, but I've never heard/read any interviews where they say that. How I see it going down is they heard some old heads say it and liked it. They even have the "explanation" for the title on the album with that woman's voice.

• jamesjames chicago 1,863 Posts
    Sometime back in the nineties, someone wrote into The Source's oracular Rap Bandit asking about Q-Tip's real name, and was told that it was in fact "W.E.B. DuBois."

Behold a pale horse.