mastering with BERNIE GRUNDMAN

youngEINSTEINyoungEINSTEIN 2,443 Posts
edited August 2005 in Strut Central

were mastering with this dude tomorrow. how do you guys feel about mastering? waste of time or no? it's something like $450 an hour. peace, stein. . .

Comments

• m_dejeanm_dejean Quadratisch. Praktisch. Gut. 2,946 Posts
    I think it pays off not being stingy when it comes to mastering. Some of these guys can really work wonders. Bernie Grundman is one of the top dawgs, and I guess there's a reason why his name is on a zillion albums.

• m_dejeanm_dejean Quadratisch. Praktisch. Gut. 2,946 Posts
    And speaking of the mastering greats, I always thought the name Brian "Big Bass" Gardner sounds .

• yes. brian "big bass'" gardner mastered the last ugly duckling album. peace, stein. .

• ericeric 155 Posts
    important but expensive when you got to pay it from your pocket, 450 gran for an hour,....the bill must be big for a 13 track's album.
    I'm tired to make thing's that no one listen to, and strugglin to make 100 copies cd's,that probably never gonna sell because people out here are to fucking greedy to even buy a 6 euro cd.Radio don't play our joint.
    So right now,mastering is in my dreams.
    sorry for this anoying reply but i got to have that out of my chest.

peace

• 450 gran for an hour,....

• eric, its $450 an hour = about 365 euro's an hour. i dont know where you got gran from. what is a gran? peace, stein. . .

• bobbydeebobbydee 849 Posts

sorry for this anoying reply but i got to have that out of my chest.

• ericeric 155 Posts
    it's a fruit from a tree called the graneetizer out here in far east country.
    We use it as local money,we work hard for growing it,hard work trust me

• PEKPEK 735 Posts

were mastering with this dude tomorrow. how do you guys feel about mastering? waste of time or no? it's something like $450 an hour. peace, stein. . .

Stein -

It's as important as the mix from my vantage point - you can see how many albums either suffer from a bad master and/or mix, sabotagin' the overall project; used to see Grundman's name all over those Tabu label records durin' the '80s: SOS Band, Cherrelle, Alexander O'Neal, etc.

• DubiousDubious 1,865 Posts
    masterign is ridiculously important.. but at the same time you have to be careful

so many peeps just master straight in Logic and burn to the masterlink. If i was payin that kinda cash i wouldnt want to see that goin down at all.

• gloomgloom 2,765 Posts
    masterign is

• ootoot 38 Posts
    yea yo. why come so far just to skimp out at the very end when it makes so much of a difference. mastering: don't front

• bernie was DUDE and told so many funny stories that i wont feel right repeating. some about crazy nuts that said i want this record to sound like thriller. he did say beck was there last time for 3 months straight! checked everything on 2 vintage boom boxes and car stereo. but 3 months damn. . . . peace, stein. . .

• I heard some name that sounded pretty as well. Something "SOUNDS LIKE A SINGLE" something, I could only remember the nickname.

• I heard some name that sounded pretty as well. Something "SOUNDS LIKE A SINGLE" something, I could only remember the nickname.
    bernie so hard he dont need a nickname. peace, stein. .

• meshmesh 925 Posts
    hey stein,

i was just wandering how long he spent doing his thing on each song? like, what were his methods? im not asking for secrets cuz im sure the man has got a nice little bag of tricks, but i have never known anyone who has worked with such a legend as him, much less actually hung out with him.

do tell...

• hey stein,

i was just wandering how long he spent doing his thing on each song? like, what were his methods? im not asking for secrets cuz im sure the man has got a nice little bag of tricks, but i have never known anyone who has worked with such a legend as him, much less actually hung out with him.

do tell...
    anyone can work with bernie. just gotta pay. i'm not really sure of exactly what was going on with the eq's my engineer can tell more that me. everthing came into his set up through his own mac protools system. the main program he uses is for pc and it is called AUDIO CUBE. in his desk there were 2/3 series of vintage eq's with huge knobs. i would guess about busses to around 20 compressors which i couldnt tell what they were because they were in differnt rooms which he would try different combinations on. he took appx 40 min's per song. i'm sure it's more or less depending on how much you pay. overall he is a top guy,very funny and a pleasure to work with. peace, stein. . .