Omar on No Reservations.

Hotsauce84Hotsauce84 8,450 Posts
edited October 2012 in Strut Central
With a surprise guest appearance midway through...

Comments

• DORDOR Two Ron Toe 9,899 Posts
    Kinda sad with only 3 more eps left.

I have a bad feeling CNN is really gonna screw things up on Bourdains new show. He and his team won't be left alone like they were with travel channel.

• motown67motown67 4,513 Posts
    There was a nice small Jamaican place in Emeryville that served ox tail. Placed just closed down though. That clip reminds me of eating there. So good.

So tonight the final episode of No Reservations forever...

End of an era. I have a feeling CNN is going to fuck his new show up.

I guess there is always The Layover.

• The_NonThe_Non 5,691 Posts
    DOR said:
    So tonight the final episode of No Reservations forever...

End of an era. I have a feeling CNN is going to fuck his new show up.

I guess there is always The Layover.
    For those of us who are lazy, what's the CNN plan? "This show" but on CNN? I foresee lotsa tweets in Bourdain's TV CNN future, and him getting pissed off and quitting.

I don't think Bourdain is done with Travel Channel quit yet. I think he's got a season of Layover to still go. I ran into Bourdain this summer in Chicago and he was filming an episode for that series

I'm also not sure how CNN show will go. News reports say he will have the same production company that does No Reservations and Layover so that's good to know

Nov. 19 next season of Bourdain's Layover starts on Travel Channel

• FrankFrank 2,370 Posts
    Academy Tote Bag at 2:18!

• As I posted on FB, this was the episode in which Bourdain referred to Talib Kweli as "the finest lyricist in the history of rap." And I thought his thumb ring was offensive. Good riddance.

• DJ_EnkiDJ_Enki 6,471 Posts
    I really can't believe more people aren't tired of Bourdain's schtick.

• DJ_Enki said:
    I really can't believe more people aren't tired of Bourdain's schtick.

Me too. He's given a pass for what would otherwise be pretty trite and irritating material. Is it because people liked that book he wrote with him in the kitchen holding a samurai sword on the cover? I cram to understand.

• SIRUSSIRUS 2,554 Posts
    hogginthefogg said:
    As I posted on FB, this was the episode in which Bourdain referred to Talib Kweli as "the finest lyricist in the history of rap." And I thought his thumb ring was offensive. Good riddance.

if it ain't first wave punk or post punk, bourdain ain't trying to know about it. the first name my mind thought of to replace talib in that sentence was kool g rap.

Bourdain goes to interesting places and eats lots of good looking food. He also doesn't want to commercialize it or fake it like many other shows do.

• batmonbatmon 27,574 Posts
    motown67 said:
    Bourdain goes to interesting places and eats lots of good looking food. He also doesn't want to commercialize it or fake it like many other shows do.

Bingo.

I enjoyed his Jamaica episdode where he ate w Mutabaruka, Rastas up in the hills on some Ital steez, and the Blue Mountain coffee folks.

motown67 said:

Exactly. My fav thing to do is travel and eat. Nobody does a show tying both together as well as Bourdain.

No Reservations is 8/9 seasons in and still many of the shows had me wanting to jump on a plane and go the next day.

Shit,for example. Even all the Austin love that the strut gives, never gave me the same yearning to fly down there ASAP like the recent No Res eps did.

The only reason I hate the guy is because if I could travel and eat for a living, that would be my dream job.

• i honestly have seen precious little of his material, but just from that clip i learned something about calalloo

I can understand why folks would be annoyed by his Fonzie schtick.

batmon said:
    Fonzie

He also did a concerted effort to go to troubled countries the last couple years and show people places they would probably never see otherwise. I think his show on Mozambique was pretty amazing for example. He also went to Haiti, Nicaragua, Panama, Kurdistan, etc.

I read his Medium Raw book. It was cool.
    I think he got his initial props for exposing the restaurant game at a time when shit was getting glorified.

He did a segment about the "Outer Boroughs" and came to my hood to one of the questionable Soul food joints on the Concourse.

The producers didnt do their homework.

• FrankFrank 2,370 Posts
    With all of the noxiously stinky shit on US tv, especially when it comes to travel/food related shows I can't see how anyone would see Bourdain as a worthy hate target. Put him next to the fat, bleached idiot with the face-muff who's running that useless diners, drive-ins and dives show who doesn't know/ do shit but stuff his bloated mug with greasy garbage all the while mumbling the ever same, unintelligible 2 sentences and Bourdain seems more than half human. Not that I watch his show a lot. Haven't noticed the thumb ring before, that's pretty disgusting I have to admit.

I used to hatt Diner Drive In and Dives, but now I can appreciate regular-ass folks in the kitchen in small towns.

Its not try to be smart or deep or "against the grain".

He's corny like on some Sammy Hagar corny. I'd prefer to watch him ham it up than see him in the kitchen himself w/ the fake ass "cool" decor. Vintage Coke machine Yuppie bullshit. Tiki Bar illusions and Annette Funicello postcards and shit.

• HarveyCanalHarveyCanal "a distraction from my main thesis." 13,234 Posts
    Consider me another who doesn't get the hate toward Bourdain. He's far from perfect, but an enormous cut above the usual. Got taken to hear him on his speaking tour last year and he was far more likable than the people in the crowd that he had opened up to questions.

• FrankFrank 2,370 Posts
    batmon said:
    I used to hatt Diner Drive In and Dives, but now I can appreciate regular-ass folks in the kitchen in small towns.

He's corny like on some Sammy Hagar corny. I'd prefer to watch him ham it up than see him in the kitchen himself w/ the fake ass "cool" decor. Vintage Coke machine Yuppie bullshit. Tiki Bar illusions and Annette Funicello postcards and shit.

Small town, home cooked country food can be heavenly but also atrocious depending where you go outside of Louisiana (where there doesn't seem to be any bad food). About the few episodes of D,D&D that I've seen, I just find the guy to be completely offensive. Badly aged frat boy who speaks in a more low and more manly voice, the less he gets to see of his dick due to ever expanding grease gut.

Frank said:
    batmon said:

Small town, home cooked country food can be heavenly but also atrocious depending where you go outside of Louisiana (where there doesn't seem to be any bad food). About the few episodes of D,D&D that I've seen, I just find the guy to be completely offensive. Badly aged frat boy who speaks in a more low and more manly voice, the less he gets to see of his dick due to ever expanding grease gut.

Haha...no doubt.

Frank said:
    Louisiana (where there doesn't seem to be any bad food).

Glad you think so.

Bourdain captured the real deal here in what even I would consider a non-exploitative manner...

• I got no beef with Bourdain. I appreciate the fact that he isn't afraid to show the first step of cooking an animal, killing it. I think if more people appreciated how food ends up on their plate, they would eat better food and be less likely to waste it.

• FrankFrank 2,370 Posts
    HarveyCanal said:
    Frank said:
    Louisiana (where there doesn't seem to be any bad food).

Glad you think so.

Bourdain captured the real deal here in what even I would consider a non-exploitative manner...

Thanks for this, I had a quick peak and this looks great. We'll watch the whole thing this evening when my wife gets home. We used to drive down to Louisiana to spend a week or two in a cabin on Bayou Teche in New Iberia every year while we lived in NYC and I'm already missing the hell out of those times... my favorite food was just picking up a few pounds of boiled crawfish with some corn, potatoes and smoked sausage. Probably the best ratio of deliciousness/price you could dream of. Our landlord was well connected and always knew where to go to buy the best boudin, boiled seafood, duck jerky etc I'm getting hungry just thinking of all the great food we had down there... amazing people as well, just buying a six pack at the super market or getting a blanket from the dollar store we would end up chatting with the cashier or the manager and getting recommendations about where to get some special food or where to hear some music. Our favorite state by far and we've seen most of them on two epic cross country road trips covering a total of 20.000 miles in altogether16 weeks.

Suddenly, Frank, I want to take back any internet jab I've ever thrown your way. Please forgive me.

• FrankFrank 2,370 Posts
    HarveyCanal said:
    Suddenly, Frank, I want to take back any internet jab I've ever thrown your way. Please forgive me.

I've just been as guilty of being overly mean to you on more than one occasion in the past and would be more than happy if we could put our animosities behind us...