Reccomend a Great, Soulful Music Documentary

fishmongerfunkfishmongerfunk 4,154 Posts
edited October 2012 in Strut Central
...not a fanboy doc, not hagiogrpahy, nothing about the death/rebirth of record stores or vinyl. someting well-produced and critical. include links if you can.

1. Antia O'Day: "Life of a Jazz Singer"

contians one of my favourite sayings of all time: "???All you can do in this world is learn to be a good loser and come out smiling.???

Comments

• LaserWolfLaserWolf Portland Oregon 11,517 Posts
    Still Bill

• LaserWolf said:
    Still Bill

that is definitely the sort of vibe i am looking for more of.

another great one is Anvil: the story of Anvil. did we ever talk about that one?

also, "The Mayor of Sunset Strip"

Great Soulful Music Documentaries:

Great Soulful non-music Documentaries:

• asstroasstro 1,754 Posts
    If you enjoyed the Anvil doc you should enjoy this one:

• Re: Andy Goldsworthy...

Dude's patience is amazing. I love it when he spend hours on one of his sculptures and then it crumbles and he just let's out a tiny sigh.

• And re: Fishbone - didn't know they'd fallen apart like that, doc looks good.

• some of my favorite ones that were made thoughtfully IMO

"The Howilin Wolf Story"

The Julien Temple directed Sex Pistols doc, "The Filth and the Fury"

"Steely Dan, the Making of Aja"

And this one. "Dream Deceivers" from 1992. not for the faint of heart, it started as a news story, in depth on James Vance vs. Judas Priest, the kid who was left disfigured after his suicide pact with a friend in 1985. blamed it on metal.

• ^^^^^^^^^^^
    In regards to the Judas Priest case doc..I haven't seen it, but is there any mention of Spooky Tooth? I have always found it curious that the song they claim drove the kid to shoot his face off was a cover of a Spooky Tooth song and that it doesn't seem that they were ever accused of anything even though they composed it.

• billbradleybillbradley You want BBQ sauce? Get the fuck out of my house. 2,889 Posts

• bassiebassie 11,710 Posts
    Sorry if it's already been posted - Soul Power.
    I bawled through Bill Withers' Hope She'll Be Happier

• finelikewinefinelikewine "ONCE UPON A TIME, I HAD A VINYL." http://www.discogs.com/user/permabulker 1,416 Posts
    Next sunday there will be a docu about Gill Scott Heron on BBC RADIO 1XTRA:

Sunday 21 October 9-10pm - 'The Story of Gil Scott-Heron' (Presented by Benji B)
    http://www.bbc.co.uk/mediacentre/proginfo/2012/43/r1x-gone-too-soon-gil.html

• bassie said:
    Sorry if it's already been posted - Soul Power.
    I bawled through Bill Withers' Hope She'll Be Happier

this is that zaire show before the foreman-ali fight right? ages back i posted an interview with JB and the interviewer relates a crazy story...apparently james was talking shit loudly about how bill withers couldn;t sing or perform or whatever to the point that bill pulled a knife on jb...it also gets into james' other primadonna behaviour in the lead up to that show..

lots of very interesting suggestions, looking forward to getting into these this weekend. thanks

• BBC4 have made some good ones including one on Gil Scott Heron, Krautrock, Reggae/Punk/Synth Brittanias.

The other day my friends saw a Sonny Rollins birthday party doc they liked.
    They also a Ornette Coleman one that was a little too much for them.

• finelikewinefinelikewine "ONCE UPON A TIME, I HAD A VINYL." http://www.discogs.com/user/permabulker 1,416 Posts
    Thelonious Monk - Straight No Chaser