Vinyl is in my blood.....

double-o-souldouble-o-soul 13 Posts
edited October 2012 in Strut Central
I've found this community a very friendly and informative over many years.....though I have to confess I've only recently registered. Having done so I thought I'd better give y'all a proper hello.

I got vinyl in my blood. No matter what I turn my hand to in my life there is alway a scratch o vinyl in the mix somewhere. Was pretty much bought up digging for records by my old man. Every family holiday was geared towards hitting new towns or old favourites. We always had some kind of record/cassette player in the back and at the end of every day would make mix tapes of the tunes we'd found for playing the car the following day. There are still a couple of label runs that the two of us are looking to complete. My brother was bought up the same way and is much the same as I am. In fact only my sister escaped the vinyl bug when we were young but she has recently married a collector and has begun telling the odd story of great finds in dusty garages.

I've been lucky enough to have found work that allows me to get paid for doing what I love. I ran soul/funk/jazz events for years in my home city making it my mission to share the good grooves I stumbled upon. At the moment though I'm living on a tropical island in the middle of the Pacific and enjoy having time to sit back and get close to the records I really love.

I make a fortnightly podcast that gives me an excuse to raid (sometimes forgotten) corners of my collection. I get a kick out of finding the often long lost artists responsible for the music I play. "No-ones asked me about that for years" is music to my ears. I try to keep it eclectic so you'll hear funk, jazz,surf and soul beside folk, blues and rock 'n roll. As I'm sure you know there's a whole lot o stuff out there that has never got the attention it deserves. If you think this might keep you entertained while you're tramping from store to market to the back o yer neighbours "untouched since the seventies" garage then here's a link http://bit.ly/rlBdSD

A mate from this community told me I should make sure I include an opinion on Off The Wall Vs Thriller here. All great music has a time and place so picking favourites is something I've always found difficult. So my gut says they're equal for different reasons but at the risk of seeming a useless fucking fence sitter I'll side with Off The Wall simply because I think it's dragged my lousy backside onto the dance floor just a few more times than Thriller......and I think Day and Night might just be my most played MJ tune of all time.

I look forward to reading/learning/laughing/disagreeing/sharing with you all in the future. May the next crate be your best and good digging to you all!

Double-O-Soul

Comments

• fejmelbafejmelba 1,139 Posts
    welcome on board

• FlomotionFlomotion 2,390 Posts
    Welcome - really looking forward to checking out some of those podcasts. I don't know nearly enough about digging Down Under but I like the sound of some of those shows. Subscribed.

• leonleon 883 Posts
    I'm sorry to inform you this board stopped being about soul music long ago. Today, it's all about booties, politics, bbq sauce and dead people. Good luck,
    Leon

B/W just kidding, welcome aboard!

• Welcome.

• dj_cityboydj_cityboy 1,460 Posts
    welcome to the strut....

• JimsterJimster Cruffiton.etsy.com 6,890 Posts
    Welcome.

living on a tropical island in the middle of the Pacific

This pic to beat:

• batmonbatmon 27,574 Posts
    Welcome

• LaserWolfLaserWolf Portland Oregon 11,517 Posts
    Welcome.
    Nice intro.
    But too general.

Which labels are you trying to complete? We might be able to help fill holes.

Which Pacific Island?
    I picked up a Juan de la Cruz record yesterday. Only to find out it's value has plummeted.

Dan

• Bon VivantBon Vivant The Eye of the Storm 2,018 Posts
    What's happening, mang?

• Flomotion said:
    Welcome - really looking forward to checking out some of those podcasts. I don't know nearly enough about digging Down Under but I like the sound of some of those shows. Subscribed.

Hope you enjoy them. If anyone can point me toward similar podcasts covering vinyl from other parts of the world I'd be very happy.

• LaserWolf said:

Aussie pressings of London, Stateside, Planet, Leedon. Have got a few other wants from the rest of the world that I will post sometime soon. Would always appreciate any help finding things I need.

Which Pacific Island?

Fiji! - A few interesting records here and I will post some of my favourite sounds down the track too.

• LaserWolfLaserWolf Portland Oregon 11,517 Posts
    double-o-soul said:
    LaserWolf said:

Aussie pressings of London, Stateside, Planet, Leedon. Have got a few other wants from the rest of the world that I will post sometime soon. Would always appreciate any help finding things I need.

Which Pacific Island?

Fiji! - A few interesting records here and I will post some of my favourite sounds down the track too.

Cool. I have only heard tourist, sounds of native drums, type records from Fiji.