Rian Johnson (Numero-r)

ketanketan Warmly booming riffs 3,101 Posts
edited September 2012 in Strut Central
Was just reading the AV Clurb interview with dude from Third Rock (no diss - he's brilliant in Mysterious Skin and Brick) and noticed this:

AVC: You???ve talked in the past about preparing for shooting days by listening to character-appropriate music because it helps you shut out the chaos on the set. Did you do that here?

JGL: My preparation revolved less around music this time, and more around Bruce Willis??? voice. But there was some, yeah. I listened to a lot of Billie Holiday for this role. Also a song that???s in the movie, it???s called ???Powerful Love,??? this old soul record, and it???s on this great compilation called Eccentric Soul [Twinight???s Lunar Rotation] that Rian turned me onto at the time. It???s all these old dirty soul records that never made it on the radio. And a bunch of those songs were good.

http://www.avclub.com/articles/joseph-gordonlevitt-reveling-in-looper-hitrecord-a,85392/

Go Numero!

Anyway, also wanted to use the opportunity to praise Rian Johnson for Brick, which is a masterpiece IMO.

Haven't seen Brother's Bloom yet; anyone catch it? Thoughts?

Comments

• i thought brick was an awesome indie flick. excellent nod to film noir without being too "collage"-y or over the top. i thought using all 17 minutes of velvet underground's "sister ray" for the end credits was a pretty slick move too.

brother's bloom is a wes anderson flick on steroids AND red bull. overly nuanced with complicated dialogue, unexplained character devices and could probably have benefited from having LESS of a budget. still fun to watch.

he's guest directed two episodes of breaking bad [one in season 3, the other in season 5] and they are arguably the two worst episodes in the series. not only are they completely incongruous with the rest of the series in look and feel, they dont even fit in with HIS other output. as a matter of fact, the two episodes he did have become almost part of breaking bad lore as laughable and absurd.

• Bon VivantBon Vivant The Eye of the Storm 2,018 Posts
    Dude from Third Rock? You mean French Stewart?

• ketanketan Warmly booming riffs 3,101 Posts
    Bon Vivant said:
    Dude from Third Rock? You mean French Stewart?

No, the other dude.

And not the dude who was in Harry and the Hendersons.