Jackson 5 Vaults release

batmonbatmon 27,574 Posts
edited September 2012 in Strut Central

Come And Get It: The Rare Pearls is housed in a unique package: a 7-inch square box packed with the discs in their own sleeves; an oversized booklet featuring detailed annotations, rare photos, and essays by Deke Richards and author/professor Mark Anthony Neal; and an actual 45-rpm, 7-inch vinyl single in a slick picture sleeve -- "If The Shoe Don't Fit" b/w "Feelin' Alright." It's a perfect birthday celebration for one of the greatest groups of all time.

TRACK LIST:

Disc 1
1. (We're The) Music Makers
2. If The Shoe Don't Fit
3. Come And Get It (Love's On The Fire)
4. I Got A Sure Thing
5. After You Leave Girl
6. Mama Told Me Not To Come
7. Iddinit
8. Since I Lost My Baby
9. Keep An Eye
10. Movin'
11. Feelin' Alright studio version
12. You Better Watch Out
13. I'm Your Sunny One (He's My Sunny Boy)
14. Someone's Standing In My Love Light

Disc 2
1. If You Want Heaven
2. You Can't Hurry Love
3. Keep Off The Grass
4. Going My Way
5. Makin' Life A Little Easier For You
6. Up On The Roof
7. If I Can't Nobody Can
8. Our Love
9. I Can't Get Enough Of You
10. Cupid
11. Let's Go Back To Day One
12. Would Ya Would Ya Baby
13. Love Trip
14. Label Me Love
15. Jumbo Sam

Bonus Tracks
16. That's How Love Is original complete version
17. If I Have To Move A Mountain original complete version
18. Mama's Pearl demo ("Guess Who's Making Whoopee")

Motown and them already released I Want You Back! Unreleased Masters in 2009.

Im a little scurred of this even if im coppin'.

How much shit did they make those kids work on? That Soulsation shit was pretty comprehensive.

Comments

• Yeah it's always amazing how unreleased things continue to be discovered for groups as big as them. Is it a strategic plan to keep the money flowing over time. Legal logistics? Actual discoveries?

• I cant think of the J5 without thinking about that scene in the movie where they get on Michael's case for saying "look over your shoulders."

• "Mama Told Me Not To Come" isn't exactly an appropriate song for a kiddie soul group to cover, is it?

I'm sure somebody from "The Corporation" probably changed the lyrics so it wouldn't sound like Michael was attending his first pot party.

• mannybolonemannybolone Los Angeles, CA 15,025 Posts
    I was listening to this a week ago and really, I think there's a reason why most of these songs stayed in the vault so long. Many of them simply just aren't very good.

• batmonbatmon 27,574 Posts
    mannybolone said:
    I was listening to this a week ago and really, I think there's a reason why most of these songs stayed in the vault so long. Many of them simply just aren't very good.

This is what I smelled. Bottom of the barrel stuff dressed up in a nice packet sold on the J5 "anniversary". My ass is still in.

I really wonder if Epic/CBS has vault joints from the Jacksons years. From '76 The Jacksons thru '84 Victory,I wouldnt mind some unreleased Philly Sound shit. Dont need any 2300 Jackson Street.

Im really Motowned out in 2012.

• mannybolone said:

I think they could have made this just a single disc, 12-14 of the best ones on here. Still some enjoyable stuff.

• batmon said:
    mannybolone said:

This is what I smelled. Bottom of the barrel stuff dressed up in a nice packet sold on the J5 "anniversary". My ass is still in.

I really wonder if Epic/CBS has vault joints from the Jacksons years. From '76 The Jacksons thru '84 Victory,I wouldnt mind some unreleased Philly Sound shit. Dont need any 2300 Jackson Street.

The problem with Motown is that they never really knew how to reissue. If they had released something like this in say, the eighties, when Jacksonmania was at its' height and Motown nostalgia was peaking, then we could have gotten it up for a package like this. Instead, they kept releasing and rereleasing the same old tired oldies in these predictable packages. You could tell the lineup before you even read the credits.

By the time it dawned on them to reissue something other than "I Heard It Through The Grapevine," it was way too late. People had already grown tired of the label by then.

I knew that I had been "Motowned out" when I was a college student working at the post office on the weekends. One of my coworkers had this tape of Motown hits that Kentucky Fried Chicken was issuing as a giveaway (Smokey Robinson did the TV ads). He'd play it on a boombox in the workplace, and there wasn't a song on that cassette that I wasn't tired of hearing. The guy whose tape it was kept strutting around like he was introducing us to Real Music or some such shit. Finally a young girl in her late teens had had it. She ejected the tape and instead turned on the local black radio station. In the meantime, Motown man was pissed at the change in music. As for me, I'm no Bobby Brown fan - now or then - but at that moment, hearing him croon "Roni" was a breath of fresh air compared to the umpteenth playing of "My Girl," which I didn't want to hear again for another ten years.

I say all that to say all this: I know what Batmon means when he says he's "Motowned out in 2012." Because I definitely felt that way in 1989!

• batmonbatmon 27,574 Posts
    pickwick33 said:
    batmon said:
    mannybolone said:

The problem with Motown is that they never really knew how to reissue. If they had released something like this in say, the eighties, when Jacksonmania was at its' height and Motown nostalgia was peaking, then we could have gotten it up for a package like this. Instead, they kept releasing and rereleasing the same old tired oldies in these predictable packages. You could tell the lineup before you even read the credits.

By the time it dawned on them to reissue something other than "I Heard It Through The Grapevine," it was way too late. People had already grown tired of the label by then.

I knew that I had been "Motowned out" when I was a college student working at the post office on the weekends. One of my coworkers had this tape of Motown hits that Kentucky Fried Chicken was issuing as a giveaway (Smokey Robinson did the TV ads). He'd play it on a boombox in the workplace, and there wasn't a song on that cassette that I wasn't tired of hearing. The guy whose tape it was kept strutting around like he was introducing us to Real Music or some such shit. Finally a young girl in her late teens had had it. She ejected the tape and instead turned on the local black radio station. In the meantime, Motown man was pissed at the change in music. As for me, I'm no Bobby Brown fan - now or then - but at that moment, hearing him croon "Roni" was a breath of fresh air compared to the umpteenth playing of "My Girl," which I didn't want to hear again for another ten years.

I say all that to say all this: I know what Batmon means when he says he's "Motowned out in 2012." Because I definitely felt that way in 1989!

I was eating tacos yesterday and the joint had some oldies on. Its was some Tina, Otis, etc mixed in w/ some Motown shit. I made a comment to my workers that the Motown shit was ehh. He said "it could be worse". Whatever. I couple of them were str8 Big Chill bangers.

They did an excellent job w/ Marvin Gaye's deluxe reissues as well as the J5 stuff where they remastered,essays,photos, and combined the sequential albums. It was a cool upgrade from the 80's CDs that were bare-bone releases. Rick James larger albums got some love.

I woudnt mind a remastered Smokey catalog. And they really need to re-up Tina Marie's catalog. Both are bare-bones. I know both have vault joints. I think Marie might ave contractual issues w/ them though.

• skelskel You can't cheat karma 5,033 Posts
    I'd much rather see New Edition unreleased jams, or Osmonds One Bad Apple session out takes.

• SIRUSSIRUS 2,554 Posts
    batmon said:
    And they really need to re-up Tina Marie's catalog.

• Controller_7 said:
    I cant think of the J5 without thinking about that scene in the movie where they get on Michael's case for saying "look over your shoulders."

No way, me too. Every single time I see a young MJ clip.

• Big_ChanBig_Chan 5,088 Posts
    I'd much rather see unreleased joints from the first three Sylvers albums.