Visiting Helsinki Stockholm Copenhagen Berlin Amsterdam

LaserWolfLaserWolf Portland Oregon 11,517 Posts
edited August 2012 in Strut Central
I'm doing a 3 week whirlwind tour of Helsinki Stockholm Copenhagen Berlin Amsterdam.
I'll have 2 or 3 half days free in each city to do what I want.
Which cities are worth wasting time record shopping?
Where should I go?
I mostly am looking for things I can't find here in Oregon USA, Gainsbourg and French pop, all those Belguim studio exploito records like Niagra...
Hopefully at prices I can resell for a modest profit.

Also love to meet up with any strutters.

It's an educational tour of sustainable buildings I'm going on, so much of my time is not my own.

Comments

• don't spend even a single minute looking for records in berlin, there are plenty of shops (more shops than most major centres) but i promise that you will be dissapointed. lots of better things to do than schlepp around looking at 25 euru les humphries singers and keith jarrett records...any krautrock of even marginal interest is priced about 5 times higher than you can find on ebay.

amsterdam has some records. drop into waxwell and say hi to euro delay but check condition before purchase.

• big earbig ear 67 Posts
    found some nice things at Second Life in Amsterdam (it was a couple of years back tho').
    think there may be a map on the city guide?

• MR_ZIMMSMR_ZIMMS 210 Posts
    After Amsterdam, hop on the train for a one hour travel to Rotterdam. I'll show you the basement that's full of euro-funk, Island stuff, breaks, Latin etc. etc.
    180.000 records in stock so there must be something for you in there.

http://m.facebook.com/demonfuzzrecords.rotterdam?id=100001488064536&_rdr

Regards,
    Erwin

• Hi,

hit me up for Helsinki via PM. I'll tell you the spots.

When are you coming?

• piedpiperpiedpiper 1,279 Posts
    Happy to meet in Berlin for some RR or NRR activity, feel free to get in touch! Record digging is not the best thing to do in Berlin, I share crabmongerfunks view here.

• JimsterJimster Cruffiton.etsy.com 6,890 Posts
    Helsinki, a friend says:

some of the old school vinyl stores like BLACK & WHITE and ERONEN are still around, and definitely STUPIDO SHOP is great for unused vinyls & cd's. THE FUNKIEST is still around for hip hop and other grooves.

• m_dejeanm_dejean Quadratisch. Praktisch. Gut. 2,946 Posts
    Hi LW, I'll hook you up in Copenhagen, be it NRR or RR. It's always a pleasure to meet visiting strutteurs. Get at me via PM.

• MjukisMjukis 1,675 Posts
    I can show you around some record stores here in Stockholm or just give you some info via PM. Glad to meet up and hang out too. Sounds like an nice trip you've got planned!

• LaserWolfLaserWolf Portland Oregon 11,517 Posts
    m_dejean said:
    Hi LW, I'll hook you up in Copenhagen, be it NRR or RR. It's always a pleasure to meet visiting strutteurs. Get at me via PM.

PMs full:
    I am in Helsinki now. Getting ready to leave for Stockholm. I am tagging along on an educational tour. Our schedule is tight.
    My one free day in Copenhagen is the 12th.
    I don't drink or do a lot of late nights, but would love to meet up and see your city.

I don't have a phone. So pms are good.
    We are staying at Hotel Christian IV.

• m_dejeanm_dejean Quadratisch. Praktisch. Gut. 2,946 Posts
    LaserWolf said:
    PMs full

PMs now empty

Happily back home.

Sorry I didn't have the time to meet more of you who were kind enough to write.
    Biggest apology to Mjukis who I stood up.

Thousands of thanks to M_DeJean and Piedpiper for the hospitality and the best lunches of the trip.

Bought one record, German press Stevie Wonder Master Blaster 45, for not much money at the Stockholm flea market. It was for a customer who has already bought it from me (for not much money) and who was thrilled to get it.

Helsinki:
    Toured http://en.uuttahelsinkia.fi/sections/5/environment/areas/156/viikki, an eco designed suburb.
    Saw 2 great modern, wooden, churches. One in Viikki and the other the Egg in Helsinki.
    Saw tons of great design, from light switches to whole communities Finland does it best.

Ferry to Stockholm:
    Buffet with endless variety of herring and salmon and caviar.
    Sauna with drunk Russian who ended up sitting on my lap while playing air bass and singing AC/DC songs.

Stockholm:
    Had a presentation from the corporate sustainability officer at Scandic Hotels:
    http://www.scandichotels.com/settings/Side-foot/About-us-Container/Responsible-living/
    And an other from the corporate sustainability officer at Max Burger:
    http://www.maxburgers.com/sustainability/
    This talk was 2 hours and led to me missing Mjusik.

Copenhagen:
    Presentation from the University's Sustainability officer at the Green Light House:
    http://greenlighthouse.ku.dk/english/

Berlin:
    Intense city.
    Berlin, and Germany, as a country and a society, have done some amazing things. The unification and complete ownership of the Holocaust.
    Stayed in East Berlin, most of the tourist sites are also in the East, though we were constantly crossing over the wall and back.
    Visited the Jewish Museum and the Holocaust Memorial. Highly recommended for anyone who believes that it is impossible to discriminate against a religion or that people from certain religions should be disqualified from running for public office.
    Went to a secret restaurant recommended by a strutter. Had an amazing Italian meal. Learned that in East Berlin street numbers do not always run numerically.

Amsterdam:
    The amazing thing is not how many bikes are there. It is how few cars are there.
    Visited the Forbo plant http://www.forbo-flooring.com/Home/Creating-better-environments/

• fejmelbafejmelba 1,139 Posts
    Sauna with drunk Russian who ended up sitting on my lap

fejmelba said:
    Sauna with drunk Russian who ended up sitting on my lap while playing air bass and singing AC/DC songs.

If you haven't tried it, you haven't lived.

b/w

I'll try anything twice.