"Hip Hop" Gear MIA?

batmonbatmon 27,574 Posts
edited August 2012 in Strut Central
I walked into my local "urban" store in the Concourse Plaza. Its basically a small Dr. Jay's type place. Cheap Classic Levi's for me.
They still have a section for RocaWear? Who the fusk rocks this gear?
For a quick minute u did see cats rockin a whole ensemble but in 2012 I really dont see any dominant "Hip Hop" name brand anymore. It seems like dudes just mix and match and freak whatever instead of the uncreative GerAnimals days.
Are dudes "with style" around yall still doin this?

Cool

Pause

Comments

• BurnsBurns 2,227 Posts
    I just see "colors" , just plain, no logos anymore. The sag is still on....

• HarveyCanalHarveyCanal "a distraction from my main thesis." 13,234 Posts
    There's Algierz and other oversized t-shirt manufacturers still doing well down here in Texas.

• batmonbatmon 27,574 Posts
    HarveyCanal said:
    There's Algierz and other oversized t-shirt manufacturers still doing well down here in Texas.

The t-shirt thang will stick.

What about the shorts w/ the matching hat?

Dickies for the shorts still. And Jordans still too.

• DocMcCoyDocMcCoy "Go and laugh in your own country!" 5,913 Posts
    The only place I've seen Rocawear in recent years is in outlet stores, and I don't even see it there anymore. They had some Rocawear shades in the TK (TJ) Maxx store on Wilmersdorfer Strasse the other week, but that's about it. There are quite a few stores here in Berlin where you can still kit yourself out in that whole baggy sportswear, AF1s and fitteds look without any trouble.

• SIRUSSIRUS 2,554 Posts
    i see rocawear on older folks who obviously took thier kid's shirts/etc when they stopped rocking it in the mid-00's

• DocMcCoyDocMcCoy "Go and laugh in your own country!" 5,913 Posts
    From looking at videos and magazine articles, I figure that labels like True Religion are effectively "hip-hop gear" these days, although I guess that could just be the modern version of kids co-opting high-end/designer/luxury brands like Polo or Timberland.

• bassiebassie 11,710 Posts
    I'm seeing relatively label-free gear. It's a lot of team logos round here.
    The basic male uniform: Fitted and snap-backs/braids, v-necks/plaid button-ups, saggy to lean jeans (whatever brand)/gym gray track pants, Jordans/Chucks/deck shoes/slippers n socks

Some dudes are rocking the Euro sneakers, sagging cigarette trousers, eye-sore Ts with lots of writing flourishes and shiny objects - but those are the dancehall/rap cross-over guys more than anything

• Hotsauce84Hotsauce84 8,450 Posts
    Skater look took over. Streetwear is the new Hip Hip gear.

Also, Algierz shirts are hideous.

Ed Hardy was one of the last of the Mohicans that i recall being in demand.

I dont see none of the "brands" advertised like they used to. Akademics on the side of the bus. LRG up in the magazines.
    Phat Farm on billboards. Rocawear and Sean John is dead.

It seems like the clothing hustle idea has passed and now is just smaller boutique brands.

1 Deep don't care.

Crazy that Milkcrate's still around. Too "crate digger" for me but still...good to know they're still doing their thing.

Sidenote: I'm all about colorful 5 panels. I'd rock that one sans logo.

Ed Hardy wasn't Hip Hop gear though. It was rocker gear that us (well, not me...HELL NO not me) made our own.

Typing from the passenger seat right now so forgive my poorly written sentences. You know what I'm trying to say.

Herm said:
    Ed Hardy wasn't Hip Hop gear though. It was rocker gear that us (well, not me...HELL NO not me) made our own.

True, but it was well absorbed by cats. All up in some of the stores. I thought it was Euro club type steez.

• DJ_EnkiDJ_Enki 6,471 Posts
    There was a shop in Bologna called Gun Funk Street Shop that sold the hip-hop boutique clothing along with the cigarette trousers/eyesore T-shirts that bassie referenced above. I thought that was pretty funny.

• jamesjames chicago 1,863 Posts
    SIRUS said:
    i see rocawear on older folks who obviously took thier kid's shirts/etc when they stopped rocking it in the mid-00's
    Yes. I still see plenty of full-gear/all-matching dudes, but their vibe is less "with style" and more "off-duty security guard."

p.s.: I posted about this one dude in my neighborhood several years back, but I saw him just the other day, and am happy to report that in 2012, Fiftysomething Dude With The 90s-Vintage But Immaculately Preserved "FUCK THE WORLD DON'T ASK ME FOR SHIT" T-Shirt is still--still!--getting it in. I saw him on his dog-walk grind outside Kilimanjaro and it was like seeing Bigfoot.

There's a Hip Hop/Urban "boutique in my hood that been there since i was a kid. BITD it was the place to cop Le Tigre and various multi-colored Lee's.
    It was taken over by some other cats a while ago and they try to bring in some smaller brands. They were all over the ALL OVER print steez when it was the thang and i usually stay clear of them. But i copped this hat last week.....

• jamesjames chicago 1,863 Posts
    batmon said:
    Herm said:

i was well absorbed by cats.
    Crazy Cat Guy? Like, Romare Bearden steez?

But yeah, I see lots of hip-hop types in the neighborhood with those shirts with angel wings and skulls and "Affliction" and shit. It's almost always chubby, The-Dream type dudes, too, for whatever reason.

I blame Three 6 Mafia. Post-"Stay Fly," I think they got the ball rolling on legitimizing that heavy-metal/skull/dragon shit for a lot of Black People Who Are Not Cee-Lo. Kanye dressed it up a couple years later with his epaulet-based/Euro/Goth-Lite shit and the cipher was complete.

• empanadamnempanadamn 1,462 Posts

New York Yankees baseball caps. Probably anywhere you travel in the world (except for maybe Boston?), a crispy Yankees cap (sometimes in various colors, oversized, and not shaped) is THE hip-hop indicating accessory. Never mind legitimate Yankees fans. Points for keeping your sizing sticker on, YO.

the sticker is dead

• yuichiyuichi Urban sprawl 11,331 Posts
    batmon said:
    There's a Hip Hop/Urban "boutique in my hood that been there since i was a kid. BITD it was the place to cop Le Tigre and various multi-colored Lee's.
    It was taken over by some other cats a while ago and they try to bring in some smaller brands. They were all over the ALL OVER print steez when it was the thang and i usually stay clear of them. But i copped this hat last week.....

What's the kicks inside?

• yuichiyuichi Urban sprawl 11,331 Posts
    "The Hip-Hop look" is now in, since everybody rockin' an Obey t-shirt and cap with tight jeans and a maroon colored tank top with maybe a tat or two on their arms....Thick-rimmed black glasses.....the list goes on for these clones.....

yuichi said:
    batmon said:

What's the kicks inside?

Hyperfuse '12 VoltGorge Green

• yuichi said:
    "The Hip-Hop look" is now in, since everybody rockin' an Obey t-shirt and cap with tight jeans and a maroon colored tank top with maybe a tat or two on their arms....Thick-rimmed black glasses.....the list goes on for these clones.....

oh! so hip hop. skinny jeans, glasses and maroon hip hop like BITD.

btw. my girl (a senior designer for a known athletic brand) is at the big fashion trade show in LV right now and after walking the 'streetwear' course today found out that p diddy has bought and 'resurrected' 'enyce' and that there was a hyper exclusive wu-wear booth as well.... which may or may not have even involved clothing.

but yeah, that's last check on THAT scene. the new gangsta shit is pendletons and dickies work in progress apparently.

batmon said:
    the sticker is dead

Thanks a lot Beibs!

I know where this period's hip-hop fashion trend has gone...

Yeah... hell yeah...

vintageinfants said:
    found out that p diddy has bought and 'resurrected' 'enyce' and that there was a hyper exclusive wu-wear booth as well.... which may or may not have even involved clothing.

There's a couple of throwback brands that will be trying to make a comeback. Not sure if they'll be able to pull it off.

Rocksmith has collaborated with Wu-Tang over the past few years. Could have been what your girl saw.

A lot of the stuff that's probably being seen at Magic in Las Vegas this week has already made its rounds via Agenda trade shows that've already happened in NYC, LBC, & Tokyo. A lot of the same ol' shit. Graphic t-shirts all day.

Meanwhile at a shopping mall near you...

• DJ_EnkiDJ_Enki 6,471 Posts
    empanadamn said:

Yeah... hell yeah...