New School Jazz ( Robert Glasper, Esperanza Spalding, etc...)

mayaluv99mayaluv99 15 Posts
edited August 2012 in Strut Central
These cats are exactly what Jazz needs to bring kids as well as some adults back to the culture of jazz. Jazz was and still is the spirit of hip-hop. These artists have great albums that any Soul, Funk, R&B, hip-hop head can vibe to.

Comments

• Gregory Porter

Darryl Reeves

• batmonbatmon 27,574 Posts
    mayaluv99 said:
    Jazz was and still is the spirit of hip-hop.

I'll disagree.

Cool thread though.

• asstroasstro 1,754 Posts
    I've enjoyed these guys output:

• DocMcCoyDocMcCoy "Go and laugh in your own country!" 5,913 Posts
    I've yet to properly check out Esperanza Spalding, which is poor form for someone who plays (a little) bass.

I like the Robert Glasper album a lot, but the rappers are by far the least interesting thing about it.

• batmon said:
    mayaluv99 said:

I'll disagree.

Cool thread though.

ur right, I shouldn't say "the" spirit of hip-hop, but I will say it is "a" spirit of hip-hop

mayaluv99 said:
    batmon said:
    mayaluv99 said:

I'll disagree.

Cool thread though.

ur right, I shouldn't say "the" spirit of hip-hop, but I will say it is "a" spirit of hip-hop

I agree.

Spalding has gotten a lotta press here in NYC and Ive been curious, but there is something a little too NPR going on for me.

Cute as hell.

• asstro said:

yeah that was pretty dope!

• Jose James

• JimsterJimster Cruffiton.etsy.com 6,892 Posts
    On paper, Ezzie Spezzie should be a wet dream for me - cute (she's making a concious effort to dodge "Pretty") and a virtuoso bassplayer, hailed by all as the Princess Leia of Jazz???, but I find it a little too clever. Maybe it's just too clever for me, but it should swing that bit harder? Or is she under pressure as a Jazz Academic to flex the compositional chops for the sake of flexing?

Gregory Porter I can't get into either. Obviously dude has talent but his voice is completely characterless to my ears. Presses no buttons. I wish him well doe, because he doesn't appear to have too much competition and the music deserves being heard by a wider and younger audience. But what is with the balaclavas and ting? Dude must be sweating like a rapist.

Thanks for the other yew choobs, doe - I'll check them today.

• JimsterJimster Cruffiton.etsy.com 6,892 Posts
    Darryl Reeves. YES.

Thanks for the headsup.

• J i m s t e r said:
    On paper, Ezzie Spezzie should be a wet dream for me - cute (she's making a concious effort to dodge "Pretty") and a virtuoso bassplayer, hailed by all as the Princess Leia of Jazz???, but I find it a little too clever. Maybe it's just too clever for me, but it should swing that bit harder? Or is she under pressure as a Jazz Academic to flex the compositional chops for the sake of flexing?

Gregory Porter I can't get into either. Obviously dude has talent but his voice is completely characterless to my ears. Presses no buttons. I wish him well doe, because he doesn't appear to have too much competition and the music deserves being heard by a wider and younger audience. But what is with the balaclavas and ting? Dude must be sweating like a rapist.

Thanks for the other yew choobs, doe - I'll check them today.

lol, I dig Ezzie, she's cool. maybe she has TOO much going for her? bass virtuoso, hottie, early 20's, college professor, big fro, latina?? . . . huh? lol

as for Greg Porter, rofl! . . .ur mean dude, counseling.

I like them both, though I'm not the hugest fan of vocal jazz, but its a helluva lot better to suiting my fancy than radio shit

• J i m s t e r said:
    Darryl Reeves. YES.

Thanks for the headsup.

Cool, here are a few more from him

• Chris Dave . . . one of the illest in my opinion

• LaserWolfLaserWolf Portland Oregon 11,517 Posts
    Just bought tickets to see Spalding.
    My young friend who followed her in the Pacific Crest Jazz Orchestra will be playing too.

• parallaxparallax no-style-having mf'er 1,266 Posts
    Hi Maya,

Cool post!

I completely agree with the "keeping jazz alive" sentiment.

Wondering if you've introduced yourself on the board. If not:

How did you get here?
    Where are you from?
    Favourite Popeye's side dish?
    Do you have records?
    Thriller, or Off The Wall?
    Etc.

Kindly,
    parallax

• SIRUSSIRUS 2,554 Posts
    WAR OR MANDRILL?

• parallax said:
    Hi Maya,

Cool post!

How did you get here?
    Where are you from?
    Do you have records?
    Etc.

Kindly,
    parallax

Well cool! thanks!

How did you get here?

came across this site from a google search

Where are you from?

Athens, GA

?.....red beans and rice, but i don't really eat popeyes

Do you have records?

yep!

Off The Wall

• SIRUS said:
    WAR OR MANDRILL?

Mandrill!

yes

mayaluv99 said:
    parallax said:
    Hi Maya,

Cool post!

How did you get here?
    Where are you from?
    Do you have records?
    Etc.

Kindly,
    parallax

Well cool! thanks!

How did you get here?

came across this site from a google search

Where are you from?

Athens, GA

?.....red beans and rice, but i don't really eat popeyes

Do you have records?

yep!

Off The Wall

Welcome!

• holmesholmes 3,532 Posts
    I was initially keen to check out spalding when a guy I work with was raving about her album but ultimately found it a bit too slick.

• holmes said:
    I was initially keen to check out spalding when a guy I work with was raving about her album but ultimately found it a bit too slick.

Yeah, I can understand that. She is very polished. ... she's still awesome though! and gorgeous!!!

• this is sick!

• LaserWolfLaserWolf Portland Oregon 11,517 Posts
    Saw Spalding Sunday night.
    Not with her band, a fundraiser for Thara Memory's American Music Project.

The complaints on Spalding, 'she is too good', 'too polished' too npr', 'too cute, are undestandable, but not really fair.
    I've been on the other side of this complaining about Wynton, only to have Batmon post up vids of Wynton making great music.
    Spalding also makes great music and people should respect. Unless they don't want to.

Kids in the AMP, and I know a few, have to listen to hours of Thara talking about what it was like in the jazz clubs in the 40s, 50s.
    He teaches them the difference between playing the notes and playing the music.
    Thara does not believe in self esteem. If a kid wants praise from him they have to be able to improvise and play the music right.
    When my friend auditioned for AMP Thara asked his name, then gave him a nickname and told when he proved he could play jazz he would get his name back.

This girl was also featured, 19 or 20yo.

• arXarX 12 Posts
    Gretchen Parlato with Taylor Eigsti on the Rhodes from her album The Lost and Found.

Terrible video, but superb modern jazz with a nod to the roots, imo. Tight playing.

Kindly,
    parallax

• arXarX 12 Posts
    asstro said:

Me too. Incidentally, BBNG had a little something to say regarding Glasper:

???Fuck Robert Glasper,??? laughs Tavares, half-seriously. ???He???s doing well in jazz, but he???s into this ???real hip-hop, fuck Lil Wayne??? type thing. He???s stuck in 1990. The key to making good music is having an open mind.???

Covering Smells Like Teen Spirit with vocoder???d vocals doesn???t do jazz any favours, adds Sowinski as we discuss Glasper???s already acclaimed February release, Black Radio. ???I???m pretty sure if Kurt Cobain were alive, he???d be like, ???This is fucking horrible.??????

Hansen puts it best: ???It just doesn???t have any balls.???

http://www.nowtoronto.com/music/story.cfm?content=185822

BBNG is dope. "In The Paint" being my favourite track from those Humber boys.

• i am digging on some thundercat:

• mrmatthewmrmatthew 1,575 Posts
    great band out of the UK

And Vijay Iyer has been killing it for thepast few years. His latest album won a bunch of Downbeat awards and has an MJ cover, a Flying Lotus cover and this:

And Christian Scott has had a few good records over the past few years: