Record Shops Around the World

llmod1llmod1 317 Posts
edited July 2012 in Strut Central
Ever since I've been going to record stores I've been collecting their business cards and sticking them in a box to remind me where to go the next time I visit a city.

Some of these stores never got a return visit, most did, with some being visited many times over the years resulting in friendships being forged.

Some of these stores I have no recollection of ever having being in them; others I can remember exactly what I bought there on certain days!

Some were explored with fellow Vultures, Strutters and Waxidermists! Thanks to all those that took the time to share their spots with me!

Some are long gone (RIP) and others are going from strength to strength.

Hopefully these will bring back some happy memories to those that remember them.

If you have any interesting anecdotes or stories about any of these stores I'd love to hear them!

Please add on your own too!

Comments

• cool post. thanks for sharing that..

• DJ_EnkiDJ_Enki 6,471 Posts
    That All the Way/Hardcore Haircuts card is...interesting.

• youngEINSTEINyoungEINSTEIN 2,443 Posts
    wow. awesome post. thanks!

peace, stein. . .

• KineticKinetic 3,739 Posts
    Listen up is gone now but the guy who used to run it still sells at fairs and privately around Sydney. Revolve records is the best spot in Sydney these days. When we're you in syd last? Holler next time you're in town!

• llmod1llmod1 317 Posts
    Kinetic said:
    Listen up is gone now but the guy who used to run it still sells at fairs and privately around Sydney. Revolve records is the best spot in Sydney these days. When we're you in syd last? Holler next time you're in town!

Think the last time I was there was just before the Lions tour to NZ so a few years ago now.

• llmod1llmod1 317 Posts
    DJ_Enki said:
    That All the Way/Hardcore Haircuts card is...interesting.

I know! I came across that place by chance. It was a barbers with a half a dozen boxes of really interesting funk and jazz records. I've got a feeling he was selling on consignment for an English guy as there was a lot of interesting Euro stuff there including some interesting Italian soundtracks

• big earbig ear 67 Posts
    nice!
    looks like you get around (in a good way)

• tripledoubletripledouble 7,636 Posts
    that was awesome! i used to collect biz cards too. one day ill have to scan em all.
    i figured "all the way" was from one of your other pastimes that slipped through into this batch

pretty impressed that you have a 3way eddies business card!

• motown67motown67 4,513 Posts
    Loved the scans, especially because you started with the Bay Area!

• llmod1llmod1 317 Posts
    tripledouble said:
    that was awesome! i used to collect biz cards too. one day ill have to scan em all.
    i figured "all the way" was from one of your other pastimes that slipped through into this batch

pretty impressed that you have a 3way eddies business card!

Aleit took me to Eddie's when I was in New Orleans for a wedding. Dropped me off, made the introductions for me, went to work and then collected me a good few hours later. What a gent!

This was pre Katrina, does anyone know what happened to Eddie?

• llmod1llmod1 317 Posts
    motown67 said:
    Loved the scans, especially because you started with the Bay Area!

Had many happy digging trips to SF over the years but not been there for a while now although friends are moving over there soon which will give me another reason to visit.

How is the Bay area now for records? I remember it as being great!

• tripledoubletripledouble 7,636 Posts
    i heard from people that went through his stock recently that hes still around. they said it was a toxic gas mask type of adventure.

i was there in summer of 2002, up the ladder and through the steamy stacks in the attic.

• llmod1llmod1 317 Posts
    tripledouble said:
    i heard from people that went through his stock recently that hes still around. they said it was a toxic gas mask type of adventure.

i was there in summer of 2002, up the ladder and through the steamy stacks in the attic.

This is how I remember it too! I remember being really pleased to pull out a Roy Budd Get Carter promo 45 amongst other things.

• snicka_gsnicka_g Hong Kong 276 Posts
    Great post! Sad to think most of these stores are no longer around! I've been to a few of these stores, not enough though! Hopefully one day.....

• LaserWolfLaserWolf Portland Oregon 11,517 Posts
    Here are a few of mine.
    I've never been to Japan, so some are customers, some are places I have been.
    Some I remember fondly, some not at all.
    I wish I had more from Spain. Seems like most I have are small town shops.
    [img]img src="http://farm8.staticflickr.com/7250/7577245354_1ff295fc15.jpg" width="337" height="500"

• LaserWolfLaserWolf Portland Oregon 11,517 Posts
    I wasted most the day scanning and uploading these.
    Now they look like crap.
    Sorry.