Leather trousers

skelskel You can't cheat karma 5,033 Posts
edited July 2012 in Strut Central
Can a dude wear these non-ironically and successfully in 2012?

Who will own up?

No lederhosen.

Just looking at the Live & Dangerous inner sleeves and a raft of late 70s power pop 45 sleeves.

Alternatively, what were the maddest strides you ever wore?
I confess to b/w leopard spot drainpipes w/ fluorescent socks, black leather jacket with hundreds of studs and Crass t circa 81.

Please speak on it.

Comments

• leonleon 883 Posts
    skel said:

I confess to b/w leopard spot drainpipes w/ fluorescent socks, black leather jacket with hundreds of studs and Crass t circa 81.

Please speak on it.

Pics or it didn't happen

B/w

Red velvet bell bottoms at age 16. So glad no photographical evidence is left.

• JimsterJimster Cruffiton.etsy.com 6,896 Posts
    I asked Nile Rodgers this question (on the internet) last year.

"Leather trousers, yes or no?"

"ABSOLUTELY!" was the answer.

I think they only work if you are skinny, doe.

So I'm out.

• HarveyCanalHarveyCanal "a distraction from my main thesis." 13,234 Posts
    "Trousers"?

Next thing you know you'll be calling sneakers "trainers".

• RockadelicRockadelic Out Digging 13,993 Posts
    HarveyCanal said:

Next thing you know you'll be calling records "vinyls".

• skelskel You can't cheat karma 5,033 Posts
    ^^^^^^^
    Fringed loon pants studded with bells

• YemskyYemsky 709 Posts
    skel said:

No lederhosen.

Why not?

• leonleon 883 Posts
    skel said:
    ^^^^^^^
    Fringed loon pants studded with bells

maddest strides you ever wore

Punk was pretty much done and dusted by the time I was wearing what I damn-well wanted, so Ss. Zips-and-Shit had already sailed. However, I do have form in the way of waist-down satrorial crime:

X-amount of old jeans always hacked off just below the knee a la Schwarzenegger, washed to make the hem all scraggy, then worn with high scally-cred [scouse]srain-eeeez[/scouse] (think '84 Nike Equator / Flame or Adidas ZXZ) to alert man that this was not Care In The Community. Worn everywhere, in all weathers.

Some white Kid Creole (August, not Elvis) shits that were always soiled by Manc taxi detritus. White kecks never a good move unless you are Don Johnson.

'Nuff "Stonewall Jackson" pleated Rick Astley shits c 1987

Sky Blue Farrahs. Dead tight. Dem busk right open across No Man's Land second time out. My gonads breathed a sigh of relief.

I've got some blue velvet shits in the back of the wardrobe somewhere. When it were "Naaah, no jeans, mate." in Manc clubland (~1993 Salford Boys Gang Warfare-R).

• jjfad027jjfad027 1,594 Posts
    skel said:
    Can a dude wear these non-ironically and successfully in 2012?

Who will own up?

I have a gray pair of Calvin Klein leather pants that work. They don't look really leathery.

I also have the handmade leather bellbottoms that my dad got married in, but I don't wear them.

• skelskel You can't cheat karma 5,033 Posts
    Sky blue Farrahs. Jesus.

And blue Cura??ao cocktails to match no doubt.

Friend had a pair of cords, one leg bottle green, the other deep red. A mess up at the factory supposedly, and uniquely naff, but he wore with pride. And no little amusement from the local and vocal.

'A Boy Named Sue' vibes, definitely. It was that era when disco-normal men started thinking more laterally about clothes, outside of the usual arty fashion victim set who have always dressed berserk.

jjfad027 said:
    They don't look really leathery.

FAIL.

• jamesjames chicago 1,863 Posts
    J i m s t e r said:
    I asked Nile Rodgers this question (on the internet) last year.

"Leather trousers, yes or no?"

"ABSOLUTELY!" was the answer.
    Yeah, but he's kind of a cornball, though. Do-rags, chambray shirts with the top button did, et cetera--of course a dude like that is gonna be on the leather-pants wagon. Dude still wears Oakleys and shit. Probably still drunk-dials Tina Weymouth once every eighteen months like, "What's up, grull? Whatever happened to me and you?" You don't wanna go around like that guy.

The realer question is: Leather overalls with no shirt, Cam'ron/Jodeci style? In 2012? Ever? Let's say that theoretically that I've got some on ice in a garment bag in the back of my closet behind the safety-orange quilted vest and the back issues of Vibe--what's good? Are heads ready? Is it safe?

The most rodeo pants I ever wore in real life was this pair of super-baggy Duck Head corduroy slacks in black and purple houndstooth, purchased at deep discount from an outlet store somewhere in North Carolina in the early nineties. I blew out one of the knees in a house-party scuffle with some dude who kept trying to commandeer the stereo with his freshly acquired Monster Magnet cassette, so I cut the pants into shorts and--here's where it gets super-ugly--fashioned one of the cut-off legs into the kind of tie-top that was, as they say, the style of the time. I think I only left the house in my shorts/hat combo once, but it was one time too many, believe me.

(In a side note: When did soulstrut get so Thin Lizzy'ed the fuck up? I'm not mad or anything, but in the last year or so, it seems like this place is lousy with them dudes.)

james said:
    When did soulstrut get so Thin Lizzy'ed the fuck up?

You started it. Corpse-eyes-R.

Like Dolo, The Brits are finishing shit.

Leather overalls. I cannot believe I can even type that. A grave look.

• Bon VivantBon Vivant The Eye of the Storm 2,018 Posts
    I could rock them.

• Lois cords during the Farah era.

• Perfect pants for digging.

• batmonbatmon 27,574 Posts
    On the real, back in the late 90s i seriously considered a pair of black leather pants.

My Black rocker buddies was rockin that shit. I thought i could put a Spin magazine on the look.

Simple black T and some black Chuck Taylors.

Something on the order of Will Smith in I, Robot meets Run DMC, meets 24-7 Spyz meets Blade.

I decided it was kinda too expensive for a look that i only rock once in a while.

Black denim is just fine.

J i m s t e r said:
    james said:

You started it.
    In the words of Ross Hogg's main man, Shaggy: It wasn't me. My thread might have caught a little slice of the zeitgeist, but that shit had already been perculating for a while. I don't know whether it's a case of the "BRITS DOT COM" thread letting you lot get too comfortable, or if the threat is here at home, with boot-cut-rock enthusiasts like Hook_Up, pickwick, and SoulOnIce working subtly as serpents to make this stuff acceptable ("Hey, nice score on that Shades Of A Blue Orphanage!"), but that fact is that soulstrut has gradually but definitely been moving toward a pro-choogle stance, with the marked rise in Lizzy-positive attitudes only the most obvious symptom (see also: "Van Halen: GOAT"). It makes me a little uneasy, frankly. I mean, where does this all lead? if this keeps up, what's this place gonna look like a year from now? Two years from now? Shit's gonna be straight Night Ranger.

But back on topic: I see the one Hoarvey in here--perhaps he can speak on his man Tupac's escalating the game with up-to-the-armpits leather hip waders. Failing that, perhaps he can speak on post-MDMA pant styles in 1990s Tejas.

Also, I wish my brother Terry_Clubbup was here to tell his parachute-pants story. That one's got it all: avarice, extravagance, disconnection, shame, pathos. It's the Here, My Dear of pants stories.

And this is only tangentially related and is perhaps for another thread, but can I possibly be remembering correctly that Rockadelic has a story involving a Gucci belt?

batmon said:
    On the real, back in the late 90s i seriously considered a pair of black leather pants.

My Black rocker buddies was rockin that shit.
    I remember occasional soulstrutter yo-i-got-beats posting vintage 1980s photos of himself rocking out with the Flying-V and a shag whilst finessing some white leather. That's some Advanced D&D, right there.

Something on the order of Will Smith in I, Robot meets Run DMC, meets 24-7 Spyz meets Blade.
    OH MY GOD

haha.......sheeeeit....id JamMaster Jay meets Terrence Trent D'Arby that shit.

james said:
    And this is only tangentially related and is perhaps for another thread, but can I possibly be remembering correctly that Rockadelic has a story involving a Gucci belt?

Brooklyn Disco Bouncer related.

james said:

No idea what you're talking about......but.....

There was a record dude from Oklahoma that we called "Leatherman".....big time record dealer.

He was about 6:5 and wore the same black leather pants, vest and jacket for the 10-15 years I knew him.

Had thick coke bottle glasses...the UK dudes can imagine a tall, thin Phil Tricker and that's what this dude looked like.

Died a few years back....wonder if he was buried in his leather....I'd bet he was.

batmon said:
    james said:

Brooklyn Disco Bouncer related.

OK...I'll fess up...was actually Oyster Bay.....6:2 with 6" platform heels.....hair down to my ass.....took a fist in the eye on my first night as Bouncer....became a bartender as a result.....chick I had a crush on since H.S. gave me a Gucci belt....I wore it.

batmon said:
    haha.......sheeeeit....id JamMaster Jay meets Terrence Trent D'Arby that shit.
    CRAZY

I read something pertinent from Bill Adler where he's breaking down a pre-fame group photo of RUN-DMC, tracing their style continuum. He points out that DMC, wearing a woolen trench, was the most collegiate and had farthest to go; Run, in a grey (or maybe brown?) leather jacket, was closer, but not all the way; Jay, representing in the black leather, was there, and was explicitly the aesthetic beacon for the other two.

• pickwick33pickwick33 8,946 Posts
    Black leather pants used to be really popular with the cougar set. If a woman was approaching middle-age and wanted to prove she Still Had It Going On, she'd bust out the shiny trousers as proof.

Can't think of any famous examples that can be Googled, but I definitely used to see older women rocking the leathers at (white) blues clubs in the 90s...

• pickwick33pickwick33 8,946 Posts
    duplicate post

• dayday 9,611 Posts
    james said:
    J i m s t e r said:
    james said:

You started it.
    In the words of Ross Hogg's main man, Shaggy: It wasn't me. My thread might have caught a little slice of the zeitgeist, but that shit had already been perculating for a while. I don't know whether it's a case of the "BRITS DOT COM" thread letting you lot get too comfortable, or if the threat is here at home, with boot-cut-rock enthusiasts like Hook_Up, pickwick, and SoulOnIce working subtly as serpents to make this stuff acceptable ("Hey, nice score on that Shades Of A Blue Orphanage!"), but that fact is that soulstrut has gradually but definitely been moving toward a pro-choogle stance, with the marked rise in Lizzy-positive attitudes only the most obvious symptom (see also: "Van Halen: GOAT"). It makes me a little uneasy, frankly. I mean, where does this all lead? if this keeps up, what's this place gonna look like a year from now? Two years from now? Shit's gonna be straight Night Ranger.

But back on topic: I see the one Hoarvey in here--perhaps he can speak on his man Tupac's escalating the game with up-to-the-armpits leather hip waders. Failing that, perhaps he can speak on post-MDMA pant styles in 1990s Tejas.

Also, I wish my brother Terry_Clubbup was here to tell his parachute-pants story. That one's got it all: avarice, extravagance, disconnection, shame, pathos. It's the Here, My Dear of pants stories.

Goddamn, you will go down in the annals of Strut history as truly a man of greatness.

If you're looking for the history of TL round these parts, look no further than Mr. Baker. He is an unabashed lover of all things Lizzy.

But you already know this.

What the f*** is Clubbup up to these days anyway?