Super Star Sessions That Suck (or not) RR

LaserWolfLaserWolf Portland Oregon 11,517 Posts
edited July 2012 in Strut Central
I am relistening to Triumivirate. Mike Bloomfield, John Hammond (blues guitarist), Dr John.

Sucks as bad as I remember.

For unknown reason Hammond does all the vocals.
Bloomfield is never allowed to cut loose.
Dr John's contributions are flattened and rendered funkless. (Chris Ethridge on bass, Fred Staehle on drums.)

Most of these super group records suck (not that these three were ever that super).
First thing I think of when people tell me who Jimi Hendrix was about to record with before he died.

I know lots of folks here have Kooper, Stills, Bloomfield. But who listens to the whole thing?

List your favorites and most hatted.

Favorite? Perhaps RSO Allstars.

Comments

• batmonbatmon 27,574 Posts
    what ever happen to that mick jagger marleys son and them shit?

i like LSG

• mattBmattB (FTB) Anywhere 673 Posts
    Kuni Kawachi (of Happnings Four fame) + Flower Travellin' Band =

Love this! Still looking for a 70s press, if not an original, to replace my mp3s :(
    Unfortunately, all the good Japanese super sessions LPs I know/want are raer as hell.
    Hundreds of dollars each. Sometimes 4 figures. Sigh.

• pickwick33pickwick33 8,946 Posts
    LaserWolf said:

I know lots of folks here have Kooper, Stills, Bloomfield. But who listens to the whole thing?

I do.

I was going through a major Bloomfield phase at the time, and decided I might as well buy Super Session, since it's always cheap. I wound up liking it more than I thought I would. Even the side with Stephen Stills. Any album that starts off with a slow blues instrumental shouldn't be this good. Super Session does, and is. I usually play it all the way through.

However, The Live Adventures of Michael Bloomfield & Al Kooper was godawful.

Other "supersession" albums that work for me:
    Steve Cropper, Pop Staples & Albert King - Jammed Together
    Carl Perkins & NRBQ - Boppin' The Blues

Not bad:
    Howlin' Wolf, Muddy Waters & Bo Diddley - The Super Super Blues Band

Forgettable:
    The Barry Goldberg Reunion (one-tracker: "Another Day," which sounds like the Byrds)

Downright rotten:
    Moby Grape - Grape Jam (one-tracker: "The Lake," which goes off on an avant-garde tangent)

• jjfad027jjfad027 1,594 Posts
    LaserWolf said:
    I am relistening to Triumivirate. Mike Bloomfield, John Hammond (blues guitarist), Dr John.

Sucks as bad as I remember.

For unknown reason Hammond does all the vocals.
    Bloomfield is never allowed to cut loose.
    Dr John's contributions are flattened and rendered funkless. (Chris Ethridge on bass, Fred Staehle on drums.)

I like Sho Bout to Drive Me Wild. But the rest is boring.