Congrats to the USA

fishmongerfunkfishmongerfunk 4,154 Posts
edited June 2012 in Strut Central
on your new health care law being affirmed by the supremes. it sure seem like "a big fucking deal".

Comments

• RockadelicRockadelic Out Digging 13,993 Posts
    I don't think it's sunk in to the general public yet.

• HarveyCanalHarveyCanal "a distraction from my main thesis." 13,234 Posts
    Congratulate Obama and Romney's banker buddies.

• LaserWolfLaserWolf Portland Oregon 11,517 Posts
    HarveyCanal said:
    Congratulate Obama and Romney's insurance company buddies.

• HarveyCanal said:

the politics of this don't interest me that much. i see this as a major improvement over the staus quo. it may not be perfect, it may not go as far as i or others might like but it's a step in the right diretion and long overdue.

• HarveyCanalHarveyCanal "a distraction from my main thesis." 13,234 Posts
    It's not though.

They yet again twisted a good intention into a quagmire that only a slight few will ever benefit from...by design.

Business as usual.

• LaserWolfLaserWolf Portland Oregon 11,517 Posts
    crabmongerfunk said:
    HarveyCanal said:

the politics of this don't interest me that much. i see this as a major improvement over the staus quo. it may not be perfect, it may not go as far as i or others might like but it's a step in the right diretion and long overdue.

It is.

HarveyCanal said:
    It's not though.

They yet again twisted a good intention into a quagmire that only a slight few will ever benefit from...by design.

Business as usual.

Wait...you mean this doesn't mean free health care and medical marijuana for everyone!!

• skelskel You can't cheat karma 5,033 Posts
    It means more insurance execs wives will be getting that country club membership quicker than anticipated.

Which healthcare provider is set to benefit most?
    I was looking for a hot new investment idea...

• skelskel You can't cheat karma 5,033 Posts
    Btw that was mostly facetious

• Rockadelic said:
    HarveyCanal said:
    It's not though.

Business as usual.

Wait...you mean this doesn't mean free health care and medical marijuana for everyone!!

yeah, canada is in complete shambles because of that.

you're welcome for the bailout money by the way.

• BrianBrian 7,618 Posts
    vintageinfants said:
    Rockadelic said:
    HarveyCanal said:
    It's not though.

Business as usual.

yeah, canada is in complete shambles because of that.

you're welcome for the bailout money by the way.
    yeah, because this is being implemented in the exact same way that canada has care and in no way contains a bunch of bullshit that doesn't even begin to associate itself with the word "affordable"

the most important aspect of this is allowing kids to stay on their parents insurance because they either sure as fuck dont have it because they can't find a job or will need to save as much money as possible to pay for their parents elected offciials spending

• You're all pissed because what you really want is single payer, right?

• SaracenusSaracenus 671 Posts
    There are quite a few of us that wanted single payer but our voices (and our proxies) got frozen out at the negotiating table. Obama's team was far too timid on this front. While I don't have any illusions that single payer would have stood a chance of making through congress at the time by not bringing it to the table Obama started way to the center of the debate and was drug way far into the conservative weeds.

In other words, he didn't play the Martin Luther King gambit of telling the Republicans, "look you can deal with me or you can deal with Malcolm X (single payer) over there." He would have had more room to maneuver. Yeah, I am being pragmatic/cynical here but Obama gave away a lot early on in his presidency that today he probably wouldn't.

As for how I feel about the Affordable Care Act (ACA), AKA Obamacare, its a step in the right direction. Its flawed but it gets us closer to some sanity. It does away with pre-existing conditions, will prevent insurers from dropping policy holders that get sick, and expand the pool to mitigate costs. However, it keeps private insurers at the primary means of delivery healthcare coverage in America and that is supremely inefficient. For profit companies in charge of a public good (and a human right in my view) is never a good thing.

The fight for universal healthcare continues here in the USA. But we can build upon this and it will be very hard to get rid of the gains made with the ACA.

As for the politics, you will see a symbolic vote in the House repealing the ACA but the Senate will not play ball, well there is no way to get 60 votes to kill it and not even the house will get 2/3rds to override Obama's veto if the repubs could squeak a vote out in the senate. Unless the republicans walflestomp the democrats and take complete control of both chambers of congress and win the whitehouse in 2012, the ACA is here to stay.

In short, I will take my gains (and declare victory) and be happy about that and hope that like the turning tide in favor gay civil rights in this country, American views on healthcare will start to shift as the old guard start dying off.

My two pennies...

• tripledoubletripledouble 7,636 Posts
    a good two cents. thanks for that post

• Bon VivantBon Vivant The Eye of the Storm 2,018 Posts
    PatrickCrazy said:

the most important aspect of this is allowing kids to stay on their parents insurance because they either sure as fuck dont have it because they can't find a job or will need to save as much money as possible to pay for their parents elected offciials spending

Strange. i thought the most important aspect was 86ing the insurance companies power to deny coverage to people with pre-existing conditiond, thereby prohibiting them from discriminating against those that get sick (sometimes gravely) through no fault of their own.

• DuderonomyDuderonomy Haut de la Garenne 7,787 Posts
    Saracenus said:
    Obama started way to the center of the debate and was drug way far into the conservative weeds.

Is this some weird reference to medicinal marijuana, or did you mean dragged?

American right is far too good at name-calling. Orwellian almost. They managed to get everyone calling this "Obamacare". "Global Warming" - Republicans decide that's too scary and move to change it to "Climate Change" and undermine the seriousness. Politicise healthcare and already they have split some of the support away just on the basis of spite. It seems they understand their electorate will gladly cut off their own noses if they're told something in their own interests is actually an Obama trick.

Same with banks, the rich, taxes etc. over here and most places really.

Come the revolution...

• The_Hook_UpThe_Hook_Up 8,182 Posts
    Speaking of revolution, the former leader of the Michigan Republicsn Party is advocating armed rebellion in response to the SCOTUS decision. So about 42 fat white guys in baseball caps, goatees and Oakley sunglasses are going to try and overthrow the Gov't ...that will be about 3 mins of hilarious footage.

• DB_CooperDB_Cooper Manhatin' 7,823 Posts
    We're teh best.

Ooops, what I forgot to say is that if this proves to be an overwhelming success in 12 months (or however long it takes), I hope Obama rubs it in by calling it Obamacare himself, at every opportunity. Of course the Republicans will be calling it Universal Health Care/an inalienable right of all Americans at that point.

Duderonomy said:
    Ooops, what I forgot to say is that if this proves to be an overwhelming success in 12 months (or however long it takes), I hope Obama rubs it in by calling it Obamacare himself, at every opportunity. Of course the Republicans will be calling it Universal Health Care/an inalienable right of all Americans at that point.

Y'all been co-opting American music for so long you think you can make meaningful political comments about the U.S. too.....what next, opinions on American Football?.

Take care of all your Queens, Bliars and Dumbo eared future kings and you won't have time to worry about our healthcare.

And I mean that in the nicest way possible.

Rockadelic said:
    Duderonomy said:

Y'all been co-opting American music for so long you think you can make meaningful political comments about the U.S. too.....what next, opinions on American Football?.

TEEEE-BOOOOOW!

Duderonomy said:
    Rockadelic said:
    Duderonomy said:

TEEEE-BOOOOOW!

Wow.....I'm impressed..... you know even more about our Football than our Politics.

Tebow is to Football what Ringo is to Rock.

• DocMcCoyDocMcCoy "Go and laugh in your own country!" 5,917 Posts
    vintageinfants said:

A country where there's a publicly funded healthcare system, free at the point of delivery.

• DB_CooperDB_Cooper Manhatin' 7,823 Posts

• DB_Cooper said:

DONT TREAD ON ME

• DJ_EnkiDJ_Enki 6,471 Posts
    vintageinfants said:
    DB_Cooper said:

DONT TREAD ON ME

THIS IS AGAINST MY CONSTITUTION!

• DB_Cooper said:

Green budzz too

• sabadabadasabadabada 5,966 Posts
    Senate rules do not allow a filibuster when the bill under consideration has to do with imposing or repealing a tax.

sabadabada said:
    Senate rules do not allow a filibuster when the bill under consideration has to do with imposing or repealing a tax.

Well in this case this is / is not / is a tax.