Collecting Acetates (What's the deal?)

drewnicedrewnice 5,465 Posts
edited August 2005 in Strut Central
Is that cause its the EST of the ?

Comments

• johmbolayajohmbolaya 4,472 Posts
    No.

• No.

Just bought a garage acetate a few minutes ago....

raer

• drewnicedrewnice 5,465 Posts
    Well what is it with collecting acetates then?

From what I understand they are insanely fragile, so you're not playing them as often as a regular record, can someone please essplane?

• Well what is it with collecting acetates then?

From what I understand they are insanely fragile, so you're not playing them as often as a regular record, can someone please essplane?

The more impossible something is to collect = the more collectable it is?

Personally I'd never buy a record I can't play.

• aleitaleit 1,915 Posts

i think it's because they weigh more and are more satisfying to hold in your hand.

• Well what is it with collecting acetates then?

i think it's because they weigh more and are more satisfying to hold in your hand.

Size queen?

• BigSpliffBigSpliff 3,266 Posts

They are louder. Plus it puts you one step closer to greatness, but is more useful than buying John Lennon's last sandwich, or similar. File under: memorabilia.

• MikeZeroMikeZero 215 Posts
    They aren't THAT fragile. Acetates were often made in the recording studio as a reference for the band to take home and listen to. Many of these recordings never made it to record otherwise. Therefore, they are very rare if you are a collector of that genre (garage, soul, psych, etc...). I have found a few killerer acetates and am in the process of "reissuing" a 9 song 1974 psych/rock acetate LP I found in CT last year (with the band's permission). Only 4 of the original acetates were made for the band members. Don't get much rarer than that. Many acetates are of true musical/regional/historical importance. They are more fragile than a regular record, but you can play them many times (with care). Make a CD-r if it's raer.

• Dubplate!

• I can only dream...