Funk/Soul "Revivalist" Groups

King.LeweyKing.Lewey 66 Posts
edited June 2012 in Strut Central
Very tempted to open this thread by saying "Hey y'all" but then I realised obviously I've been living in Florida too long...

Anyway, I was on the wikipedia page for Sharon Jones the other day and the Dap Kings are described as "a band at the forefront of a revivalist movement that aims to recapture the feeling of soul and funk music as it was at its height in the late 1960s to mid 1970s" so I was wondering if this was an actual known and named 'revivalist movement' or just the author acknowledging that there's some decent funk bands about nowadays.

The reason I was actually looking was (quite randomly) because I've hired a new contractor in my business and was chatting to him about music and he really knows his stuff, but he only knows all the original artists and hadn't heard of people like Sharon Jones or Charles Bradley so I said I'd give him a CD and he said he'd do the same. I've got a good idea of some of the music I'm going to give him but thought I'd reach out and see what I'm missing out on, too!

Comments

• phatmoneysackphatmoneysack Melbourne 1,124 Posts
    Check these names if you haven't already

Lee Fields and the Expressions
    Nicole Willis and the Soul Investigators
    The Bamboos
    Aloe Blacc
    Jamie Lidell

• KineticKinetic 3,739 Posts
    phatmoneysack said:

The Bamboos
    Aloe Blacc
    Jamie Lidell

If I coulf only have one of these types of artists in my collection, it would hands down be Nicole Willis and the Soul Investigators. With one LP and aslew of 45s featuring her and also the insttumental work of the group, they are always in high rotation.

• batmonbatmon 27,574 Posts
    Isnt this pretty much the Retro-Soul movement?

• Nice one that seems to be a good term to use to search for!

Keep the names coming I'm having a complete YouTube jam session here

• holmesholmes 3,532 Posts
    So much of this sort of stuff that can all fit loosely under the heading.

Osaka Monaurail
    Eli "Paperboy" Reed
    Nick Waterhouse
    Mayer Hawthorne
    Kings Go Forth
    Poets Of Rhythm
    Fitz & The Tantrums
    Queen Emily
    Frootful
    Ben L'Oncle Soul
    Cactus Channel
    all that Daptone stuff

• YNOTYNOT in a studio apt mixing tuna with the ramen 417 Posts
    Hey y'all, Yes Lee Fields is a must have as well. Kings go Forth is another group you should look into although they dip into the Soul bag too. Budos Band is standard in this arena. Connie Price and the Keystones is good, so is Orgone.

• YNOT said:
    Hey y'all
    bahaha alright mate...

Come and Get It by Eli Paperboy Reed is really nice, listening to that now. I've just found Laura Vane & The Vipertones dropped a new LP last year and there's some videos out, for anyone who's interested... Capsize is a really good tune (and Laura Vane is sexy as hell in the swimsuit!).

Loving Budos Band, they're really good. In fact I'm loving all the names here, on to Nick Waterhouse at the moment who's very good indeed...

• ReynaldoReynaldo 6,054 Posts
    Didier's Sound Spectrum

• phatmoneysackphatmoneysack Melbourne 1,124 Posts
    Kinetic said:
    phatmoneysack said:

The Bamboos
    Aloe Blacc
    Jamie Lidell

If I coulf only have one of these types of artists in my collection, it would hands down be Nicole Willis and the Soul Investigators. With one LP and aslew of 45s featuring her and also the insttumental work of the group, they are always in high rotation.

I agree with you about Nicole Willis and the Soul Investigators and if i'm not mistaken I think I was first introduced to them in a mix of yours containing that exact instrumental.

Lee Fields is solid as fuck, but I have a much stronger emotional connection with NWATSI

• Gizelle Smith & The Mighty Mocambos
    Baby Charles
    The Otis Funkmeyer Band

• Good god those Cactus Channel kids are amazing! High school age is what, 17? It's always so good to see young people keeping such good music alive (said the 26 year old)

Should probably turn in, it's 1.30 and I've stayed up too long checking all this out haha

• holmesholmes 3,532 Posts
    almost forgot about Myron & E, wonder if an album will ever eventuate from those guys.

• Pistol_PetePistol_Pete 1,289 Posts
    to add on...
    El Michels Affair
    Hypnotic Brass Ensemble

• KineticKinetic 3,739 Posts
    phatmoneysack said:
    Kinetic said:
    phatmoneysack said:

The Bamboos
    Aloe Blacc
    Jamie Lidell

I agree with you about Nicole Willis and the Soul Investigators and if i'm not mistaken I think I was first introduced to them in a mix of yours containing that exact instrumental.

Lee Fields is solid as fuck, but I have a much stronger emotional connection with NWATSI

Oh really? That's cool

And massive co-sign on Nick Waterhouse who soemone mentioend above. I cann't get enough of this dude's music right now - he just dropped an LP that contains all his recent singles and is killer from start to finish IMO. Play it out ALL the freaking time over the last 2 months in my R&B sets and it always goes down well.

• What do you guys think about the new band on Ubiquity, The Monophonics? I'm digging some of their stuff.

• The Sugarman 3
    The Mighty Imperials
    The Malcouns
    Breakestra
    The Daktaris
    Antibalas
    Calypso King and the Soul Investigators

• Mount Mocha Kilimanjaro
    Brownout

• Nomo

• Surprised these two haven't been mentioned yet:

The Soul Destroyers
    The New Mastersounds

• Oh, and The Heliocentrics.

• HollafameHollafame 844 Posts
    cringe-worthy name, but the Souljazz Orchestra has some great tunes.

cosine on Budos Band and Nicole Willis.

• disco_chedisco_che 1,115 Posts
    The Apples
    Whitefield Brothers
    The Boogoos
    The Qualitons
    Speedometer
    Speak Low

• DJ_EnkiDJ_Enki 6,471 Posts
    holmes said:
    almost forgot about Myron & E, wonder if an album will ever eventuate from those guys.

Yeah, an album is in the works as we speak.

• LaserWolfLaserWolf Portland Oregon 11,517 Posts
    Around these parts 10-15 years ago funk revival bands (not neo-soul) and their worthiness was a hot topic.
    At that time these groups mostly put out 45s, reviving "funk 45" music.

I was very anti funk revival at that time.
    Sharon Jones changed my tune, and these bands have gone on to prove me wrong.

Crappy video and sound, but this cut is fantastic:

• strataspherestratasphere Blastin' the Nasty 1,035 Posts
    Big cosine about these cats.

Can't believe no one mentioned these dudes yet.

• I was involved in this project. It feels like a very long time ago:

• JazzsuckaJazzsucka 720 Posts
    holmes said:

You mean this:

:holygrail:

• YemskyYemsky 708 Posts
    I agree with many mentioned here (Daptone, Truth & Soul, Timmion, all PoR projects) but there are a few names being mentioned here which were new to me ??? and as it turns out (after some Youtube and Amazon ???research???) I would not include in any discussion about Retro-Soul, Funk/Soul ???Revivalist??? Groups or ???Deep Funk???: Jamie Lidell and Nick Waterhouse, Fitz & The Tantrums and Ben L'Oncle Soul are pop to my ears. Eli "Paperboy" Reed is a good try as is Laura Vane & The Vipertones but ultimately she lacks something, like most stuff on Unique. ???Steam??? is OK, but ???Capsize???? Pleeeaaase. And the comment about her being sexy as hell in that swimming costume was a joke, right?
    Frootful is Acid Jazz of the better kind.
    The Cactus Channel???s ???Pepper Snake??? (which I knew) is great. The rest of their output so far didn???t live up to the debut yet, but man, at that age!?!?! Hats off.
    Similar age bracket: Jungle By Night

Others worth checking:

Delta Rhythm Section

Sound Stylistics (basically same group)

Lucky Brown

DeRobert & The Half-Truths

SHAOLIN TEMPLE DEFENDERS

Kings Go Forth (they were mentioned already, right?)

Ikebe Shakedown (some stuff is more afro funk)

Rickey Calloway (this is allowed as new, though he is old, right?)

Mighty Mocambos

Will Sessions

Mountain Mocha Kilimanjaro was already mentioned, but I just love this video:

Zanichi Funk (not one of my favourites due to the vocals):

???and the list goes on... and therefore The Best Is Yet To Come...

• batmonbatmon 27,574 Posts
    Soulive predates the movement.

• batmon said:
    Soulive predates the movement.

Do they have any straight-up raw funk stuff? Most of what I've heard from them is pretty polished jazz/fusion. I like them but I always grouped them with MMW and the whole jam-band scene.