30 Richest DJs in the World

finelikewinefinelikewine "ONCE UPON A TIME, I HAD A VINYL." http://www.discogs.com/user/permabulker 1,416 Posts
edited June 2012 in Strut Central
http://www.celebritynetworth.com/articles/entertainment-articles/30-richest-djs-world/

Hard earned money, isn't it?

What a list of douches... :f-u:

Comments

• sticky_dojahsticky_dojah New York City. 2,136 Posts

• finelikewinefinelikewine "ONCE UPON A TIME, I HAD A VINYL." http://www.discogs.com/user/permabulker 1,416 Posts
    sticky_dojah said:

you would blap? :ehhx2:

• sticky_dojahsticky_dojah New York City. 2,136 Posts

• fejmelbafejmelba 1,139 Posts

pffffffff

• big earbig ear 67 Posts
    definitely all gone a bit pete tong!
    looks like a mixmag list from a decade ago.

• The Raise UpThe Raise Up Golden Years... wah wah wah 452 Posts
    House dj's make more money than hiphop dj's, I'm shocked!

b/w

Always funny to see Daft Punk show up on these lists, even though they haven't played a dj gig in 10 years.

• No love for William Orbit who along with Oakenfold is a neighbour of Tony B.liar in their ??40 million homes?

http://www.telegraph.co.uk/property/propertymarket/4229278/Property-update-Tony-Blairs-neighbour-sells-up-for-4.3-million.html#

that's right, i have no love for William Orbit.

• granjerogranjero 147 Posts
    1000fm said:

Always funny to see Daft Punk show up on these lists, even though they haven't played a dj gig in 10 years.

Well, no, they did that festival tour about 3 years ago. Was that djing? Their own material? Does it count, I dunno.
    That's what this list is about isn't it? The highest-earning music industry acts who came from dance music. It has to be taking into account record sales royalties and music supervisor payments and consultation fees, and whatever else, doesn't it?

• nebbersnebbers 9 Posts
    Do any of these DJ's own any records?

• RAJRAJ tenacious local 7,779 Posts
    No Diplo?

• The Raise UpThe Raise Up Golden Years... wah wah wah 452 Posts
    granjero said:
    1000fm said:

Well, no, they did that festival tour about 3 years ago. Was that djing? Their own material? Does it count, I dunno.
    That's what this list is about isn't it? The highest-earning music industry acts who came from dance music. It has to be taking into account record sales royalties and music supervisor payments and consultation fees, and whatever else, doesn't it?

Those were live shows, I think the last dj gigs they did were during this tour in Europe around 10 years ago together with a couple other French house acts. One of the guys in Daft Punk actually quit dj'ing completely because of hearing damage, the other guy was never a very active dj to begin with. They keep showing up pretty high on these DJ Mag lists as well though.

• disco_chedisco_che 1,115 Posts
    nebbers said:
    Do any of these DJ's own any records?

For the tools who write this kind of bullshit and the tools who read it, everyone who's playing music in front of a crowd without holding an instrument in their hands is a DJ. That's because it's useless mentioning that Daft Punk didn't play a DJ set in 10 years and all that. They have computers and they fiddle with some knobs on stage so they GOT to be DJs, OK?

• granjerogranjero 147 Posts
    1000fm said:
    granjero said:
    1000fm said:

Those were live shows, I think the last dj gigs they did were during this tour in Europe around 10 years ago together with a couple other French house acts. One of the guys in Daft Punk actually quit dj'ing completely because of hearing damage, the other guy was never a very active dj to begin with. They keep showing up pretty high on these DJ Mag lists as well though.

You're right.
    This list is balls!

b/w

Spoof film where Joaquin Phoenix pretends to change careers and become a 'dj', does gig in Vegas and gets shoed by the entire stadium

• DocMcCoyDocMcCoy "Go and laugh in your own country!" 5,913 Posts
    This piece is basically just a hotch-potch of recording/performing artists and DJs designed to fill the space marked "EDM is so hot right now" whilst making it look like the fast new way to get money and girls..

And since it still needs pointing out to some people, I'd be willing to bet that just the highest-ranking Brits on that list alone have probably put in more hours of two-turntables, carry-your-own-records, "real" DJing in the last 20 years than everyone who's ever posted on here in their entire lives combined, and I'm including the pros here (no disrespect intended, btw). Whatever you think of the music they play, those dudes have put the work in, and they couldn't be further away from these just-add-water dudes who've never carried anything heavier than an external hard drive in their lives.

• JimsterJimster Cruffiton.etsy.com 6,885 Posts
    Really it must be at the point now where DJ Eurostar turns up with pendrive of mix (not even his mix), plugs into usb deck, click play, hands in air. Fiddle with disconnected kit a bit. 2 hrs later - Nosh off from model, into limo, onto next gig. Repeat.

Maybe-Get-A-Blister-On-Your
    Little-Finger...-R

J i m s t e r said:
    Really it must be at the point now where DJ Eurostar turns up with pendrive of mix (not even his mix), plugs into usb deck, click play, hands in air. Fiddle with disconnected kit a bit. 2 hrs later - Nosh off from model, into limo, onto next gig. Repeat.

Little-Finger...-R

I'm sure there are aspects of the profession nowadays that require a considerably lower expenditure of energy than they once did. But that doesn't alter the fact that the majority of the actual DJs on that list came up the hard way. Bullshit to suggest otherwise, frankly (and I realise you're doing nothing of the sort, btw).

• bennyboybennyboy 538 Posts
    Well, I'm glad to see Calvin Harris on there, in amongst the euro-shlocksters.

• finelikewinefinelikewine "ONCE UPON A TIME, I HAD A VINYL." http://www.discogs.com/user/permabulker 1,416 Posts
    DocMcCoy said:
    J i m s t e r said:

Little-Finger...-R

I'm sure there are aspects of the profession nowadays that require a considerably lower expenditure of energy than they once did. But that doesn't alter the fact that the majority of the actual DJs on that list came up the hard way. Bullshit to suggest otherwise, frankly (and I realise you're doing nothing of the sort, btw).

I'm sure it took hard work to simmer down their craft and taste to the most common denominator and of course all that PR work is not to be dismissed. BTW to me and the most people I know these people are famous for - well - being famous. Anyone here ever heard the music by Gareth Emery or Ferry Corsten?

Does anyone know where the clubs are in which these high profile trance djs play, beside of Ibiza? At the moment I can't think of one in germany.

• JimsterJimster Cruffiton.etsy.com 6,885 Posts
    Doc - 100% correct, the UKers (Coxy, Sasha et al) have done their time at the table-face in the analog days, making names for themselves in multiple genres of (even credible) music before the celebrity adoption of Club Culture and the big paydays.

Ferry Corsten has done a few decent deep house remixes. Don't ask me to dig them out but I remember them being OK for that genre. It didn't hurt to listen. Daft Punk have recently been working with Nile Rogers who speaks very highly of them. I guess he's qualified to know. They can actually play instruments IIRC.

I do like Ibiza but generally regard the Club Scene there as The Emperor's New Clothes made real. I've been lucky enough to blag into the few spots I wanted to check but the music, and the general vibe, personally isn't for me - however if you're a happy-go-lucky youngster a few pills into your night, I am sure the magic happens and the emperor isn't naked no more.

Of course there's a lot more to the place than that and I'm happy with beers and seafood on the beach with the kids and a couple of cocktails in the Old Town of a night.

finelikewine said:
    DocMcCoy said:
    J i m s t e r said:

Little-Finger...-R

I'm sure it took hard work to simmer down their craft and taste to the most common denominator and of course all that PR work is not to be dismissed. BTW to me and the most people I know these people are famous for - well - being famous. Anyone here ever heard the music by Gareth Emery or Ferry Corsten?

Does anyone know where the clubs are in which these high profile trance djs play, beside of Ibiza? At the moment I can't think of one in germany.

Let me avail you of a few facts, as opposed to second-hand opinions that are based largely on personal prejudice (not that you're not entitled to those things - just be aware of what they are, that's all).

Carl Cox (#16) started out as a mobile DJ in the 1970s, before getting onto the soul/funk/r&b circuit (in other words, playing "modern" when it was new) and later becoming one of the best house and techno DJs in the south of England, and later Europe. This is a guy who's been doing it probably since before you were born.

Paul Oakenfold (#2) used to run Def Jam's UK office in the early 80s. Before that he ran a record pool/promotions company and did some freelance a&r alongside DJing and running club nights. He was there at ground zero of the whole acid house/Ibiza rave thing, and along with about four or five other guys, has a legitimate claim to having actually invented the thing.

Judge Jules (#7) used to run the Family Funktion/Shake & Fingerpop warehouse parties alongside Norman Jay that were central to the London rare groove scene of the mid-80s. He DJ'ed on the London pirate station Kiss-FM, and stayed with it when it went legal in 1990, by which time he was one of the biggest names on the house circuit in the south of England.

The Chemical Brothers (#15) started out as DJs in Manchester in 1990 where they ran their own Naked Under Leather parties. In 1994, they were residents at The Sunday Social, a shortlived and hugely influential party in the basement of a Central London boozer that was roadblocked every Sunday night for three months. I know this because I went to most of them.

I can tell you similar stories about Pete Tong, Sasha, Jon Digweed and, believe it or not, Fatboy Slim as well (who probably owes his career to the Chemical Brothers, for what that's worth), but I'm sure you get my point. Really, it doesn't matter whether you or I or anyone else thinks those guys play "lowest common denominator" music, because the fact is they've earned the right to do that. I'm sure some of them have reached the level they're at partly as a result of good PR, although for you to turn your nose up at that implies that you think DJs shouldn't promote themselves. But all I know is that when I used to stand in the same Hacienda queue as Sasha back before he got the residency at Shelley's in Stoke-on-Trent that made his name, even then I'd see kids point him out and talk in awed tones about what an amazing DJ he was. So that's one guy I know that made his name on good old-fashioned word of mouth.

Like I said, you're entitled to your opinions and your prejudices, but right now, with your "I've never heard of any of these guys, so they must all be frauds with artificially-inflated reputations" attitude, you just look like a snob with a massive chip on his shoulder who doesn't really know what he's talking about.

• HarveyCanalHarveyCanal "a distraction from my main thesis." 13,234 Posts
    DJ Screw > DJ _____ .

OK, who had post #21 for "Harvey mentions DJ Screw"?

Will any of those deejay's still have a working store(s) that pretty much only sells their product a decade plus after they pass?

That's a fair point, but you could equally ask if Screw, were he still alive, would be capable of filling football stadiums in every continent on the planet. That wouldn't render his legacy any less valid.

HarveyCanal said:
    DJ Screw > DJ _____ .

what, dj Screw was richer than everyone on that list?

DocMcCoy said:
    That's a fair point, but you could equally ask if Screw, were he still alive, would be capable of filling football stadiums in every continent on the planet. That wouldn't render his legacy any less valid.

Screw doesn't fill football stadiums. He fills neighborhoods.

I'm just fucking around in this thread. But at the same time, these dudes could be making Bill Gates money and they still wouldn't mean shit.

finelikewine said:
    HarveyCanal said:
    DJ Screw > DJ _____ .

what, dj Screw was richer than everyone on that list?

In credibility, yes.

• tripledoubletripledouble 7,636 Posts
    RAJ said:
    No Diplo?
    yeah i was a little bummed out he didnt make the list

• jjfad027jjfad027 1,594 Posts
    DocMcCoy said:

They have football stadiums in Antartica? ;-) j/k

jjfad027 said:
    DocMcCoy said:

They have football stadiums in Antartica? ;-) j/k

Why, you little...