Putting together a "dream" audio/visual system for the new crib

DrWuDrWu 4,021 Posts
edited May 2012 in Strut Central
I am in the middle of a major remodel of our new crib. As we go into wiring, I am starting to figure out what kind of audio I want. I have a 30 year pair of old Boston Acoustics. I am ready to invest in the some truly good speakers that could be used in a 5.1 surround system in my living room. Any recommendations for sub woofer, A/V receiver and speakers would be appreciated. I need overhead kitchen speakers and some outdoor speakers as well. I am contemplating using a Sonos system tied to a NAS drive in my LV box in the basement to make all the digital stuff be room specific and controlled by my Android phone. Let me know what you would do if you were doing it.

I went and test ran some Paradigm equipment that sounded great and in my price range. Here's what I was looking at:

Living Rm:
Paradigm Monitor 9 Speakers
Paradigm Center Channel 1
PAradigm Monitor sub
Paradigm Surround 1 speakers
In the Kitchen:
Paradigm CS 60s

Outside:
Paradigm Stylus 270 or 370s.

Comments

• LaserWolfLaserWolf Portland Oregon 11,517 Posts
    Where did you move to?

• jjfad027jjfad027 1,594 Posts
    A good technique for sub placement is to put the sub where you intend to sit, walk around the room to find the sweet spot, then move the sub there.

• batmonbatmon 27,574 Posts
    I cant rock a sub in my apt but i copped a Denon 3312CI recently and it is my shit.

I have 4 speakers spread out in the corners of my living room.

I really copped it because of the Phono jack for my 1200. Alot of newer A/V joints omit the Phono.
    Got my LED connected with a CD player, PS3 ( which has a bluray) VCR, and DVD player.

The Denon has a "mic" that calibrates the distance between you and your fronts and back speakers.
    It has Airplay I can rock whats in my computer or on my Ipad.
    It has Zone mangament to so u can control another zone that has speakers like your kicthen or bedroom.

And its has 7 HDMI jacks for my flatscreen and PS3.

Played Sade's new concert on Bluray last night and it was killer.

• DrWuDrWu 4,021 Posts
    LaserWolf said:
    Where did you move to?

I bought the house next door years ago. Now I am totally remodeling it and moving in.

• DrWuDrWu 4,021 Posts
    batmon said:
    I cant rock a sub in my apt but i copped a Denon 3312CI recently and it is my shit.

I have 4 speakers spread out in the corners of my living room.

I really copped it because of the Phono jack for my 1200. Alot of newer A/V joints omit the Phono.
    Got my LED connected with a CD player, PS3 ( which has a bluray) VCR, and DVD player.

The Denon has a "mic" that calibrates the distance between you and your fronts and back speakers.
    It has Airplay I can rock whats in my computer or on my Ipad.
    It has Zone mangament to so u can control another zone that has speakers like your kicthen or bedroom.

And its has 7 HDMI jacks for my flatscreen and PS3.

Played Sade's new concert on Bluray last night and it was killer.

So the airplay is part of your receiver? How many zones can you put into the receiver? Is there any problem with syncing between zones?