Top 10 45s on the headphones - have a listen!

BeaverBeaver 164 Posts
edited August 2005 in Strut Central
http://www.evilnoodle.myqth.co.uk/beaver_top_10.wavBEAVER???S TOP 10 WHY I LOVE 45???s HEADPHONE ACTIONYusef Lateef "Sister Mamie" (Impulse 45)The reason I love 45s, mad freaked out jazz business, what were they thinking, not multi sales, surely?Gary Atkinson "Wanderin' Soul" (Corillions 45)Breakbeat, country funk with religious undertones from '82, produced by Jello Biafra of Dead Kennedys fame.The Salem Travellers "Wade In The Water" (Halo 45)Gospel inspired moddy boogaloo version of this much covered classic.Brendetta Davis "I Can't Make It Without Him" (Liberty 45)Barry White produced femme soul perfection, totally hypnotic.Estelle Levitt "All I Dream" (Music Factory 45)A Chris McBride (Liverpool beat digger, top lad) premium from a few years ago, took me 12 months to find a copy, Femme Psych Folk Funk of the highest order.Harold McNair "The Hipster" (RCA 45)Prime slice of British Jazz Perfection, always has and always will be high demand for this 45, you can't deny class.Delois Ealy "Deloris Is Back With Jerome & His Band" (Big Vick Hammond 45)Sparse production adds to the clarity of this raw funk sprawl, Delois rapping, 13 year old Jerome giving it up on the skins, band cookin' on all 4 burners, infectious and fu*king good to boot, $1000 on latest Craig Moerer list??Wayne Spence & Smiling Faces "Thank God For Peace" (Peace 45)Hard, Gospel Funk outta Cleveland Ohio that pi*ses all over the seriously over-rated Shackleford Singers. Jimmy Gray Hall "Be That Way" (Epic 45)Blue Eyed midtempo soul with folk funk flavour.Bobbie Gentry "Fancy" (Capitol 45)"I might have been plain white trash, but Fancy was my name", boss Funky Country 45 all about a mother putting her daughter on the streets "Just be nice to the gentleman Fancy and they'll be nice to you", just love this 45, hard to pick up, a copy will set you back, oooh! at least $4.

Comments

• dCastillodCastillo 1,963 Posts
    you have that ealy?

$1000 M- (looks for trades in room)

anyway, nice contribution. A bit of advice though, would be to convert that wav file into an mp3. It's going to take ages to download. I'm only at 15% and it's telling me it's going to take another 45 minutes to finish

• BeaverBeaver 164 Posts
    you have that ealy?

$1000 M- (looks for trades in room)

anyway, nice contribution. A bit of advice though, would be to convert that wav file into an mp3. It's going to take ages to download. I'm only at 15% and it's telling me it's going to take another 45 minutes to finish

Really? opens straight away when I click on it, it's not from my webspace either!!

Yes I have a copy of the Ealy, also in the process of trying to locate my spare copy that still hasn't arrived a month after paying for it, going to contact the seller again tonight, so if you're looking for a copy let me know. Were you aware it's getting a reish - label repro with an unreleased version of The Ghetto on the flip? same label are putting out that Ham hock 45 as well, check the link...
    http://66.102.9.104/search?q=cache:gaeI1flfQXoJ:www.ksdmusic.com/catalog_item.php%3Foffset%3D0%26item%3DDELORISEALY_BACKWITHBAND+deloris+ealy+jerome&hl=en

• BreakSelfBreakSelf 2,925 Posts
    Nice stuff, Beaver!

Did you ever manage to track down a copy of that Proud Mary lp?

• BeaverBeaver 164 Posts
    Nice stuff, Beaver!

Yeah I picked a copy up, is that you Aaron? did you know Follow Me has been reissued on 45 from the mastertapes?

Still looking for a copy of that Down By The River version, you got one?

Nice stuff, Beaver!

Yeah I picked a copy up, is that you Aaron? did you know Follow Me has been reissued on 45 from the mastertapes?

Had no idea "Follow Me" had been reissued! What label? ANd from the mastertapes you say? Too bad the market for that album was cornered before I could make it out to Switzerland.

I have one[/b] copy of the Down By the River (courtesy of dcastillo), but I'm trying to locate some others. I'll let you know if it works out.

-aaron

• drewnicedrewnice 5,465 Posts
    Aaron's back, YAAAAYYY!!!

haha! Trying to keep a low profile in this b*tch to prevent the descent into soulstrut madness that gripped me so tightly before leaving for Tibet.

I'll give you shout later this week, *rew.

• The_Hook_UpThe_Hook_Up 8,182 Posts

I know, I thought us Soulstrutters were a bunch of hip hop listening cunts! But we are being treated to "proper" raers, have fryer-soulstrut relations reached a pinnacle?

Where's James Trouble?

• BeaverBeaver 164 Posts
    Nice stuff, Beaver!

Had no idea "Follow Me" had been reissued! What label? ANd from the mastertapes you say? Too bad the market for that album was cornered before I could make it out to Switzerland.

I have one[/b] copy of the Down By the River (courtesy of dcastillo), but I'm trying to locate some others. I'll let you know if it works out.

-aaron

Licorice soul records - I've had the test press for a while, sounds really good, man!!

http://www.licoricesoul.com/releases.php

Any chance of sorting me another CD please? I will get one off to you as well, sorry its not been sorted, having a new born in the house has thrown me off track.

I know someone with a OG copy of the LP for sale if you know anyone who needs it?

Nice stuff, Beaver!

-aaron

Licorice soul records - I've had the test press for a while, sounds really good, man!!

http://www.licoricesoul.com/releases.php

Any chance of sorting me another CD please? I will get one off to you as well, sorry its not been sorted, having a new born in the house has thrown me off track.

I know someone with a OG copy of the LP for sale if you know anyone who needs it?

yeah, I think I could probably set you up with another CD in the next week. Just PM me your addy and I'll get it posted when I get the chance.

I'd heard from the deep funk board that you're a new father. Congratulations! I understand completely if your CD takes a while to sort out. Good luck with fatherhood, I'm sure it's infinitely more rewarding that putzing around 8 hours a day looking for small pieces of plastic.

• someone wanna buy my Ealy? It's pretty fukked (edge warp) but the break plays all gravy.

• Danno3000Danno3000 2,850 Posts
    Thanks for this, Beaver--i'm enjoying it!

• BelsonBelson 880 Posts
    I'm sure it's infinitely more rewarding that putzing around 8 hours a day looking for small pieces of plastic.

Aaron - hope you're well, mate.

Got some records for me ; )

Best..........G

I'm sure it's infinitely more rewarding that putzing around 8 hours a day looking for small pieces of plastic.

Aaron - hope you're well, mate.

Got some records for me ; )

Best..........G

Probably nothing you don't already have, Greg!

Friend of mine sold a copy of that alternate version of Spead Love you came across earlier this year. Had the internet going nuts!

May be coming out to merry old England this Xmas. If so, I'll bring some goodies to share...even if it is just beat up copies of Lillian Dupree.

• gloomgloom 2,765 Posts

• BeaverBeaver 164 Posts

No problem!!

• pickwick33pickwick33 8,946 Posts
    Yusef Lateef "Sister Mamie" (Impulse 45)
    The reason I love 45s, mad freaked out jazz business, what were they thinking, not multi sales, surely?

I once asked a friend of mine why there were so many damned jazz 45's back in the day, for a music that's not really "singles" music, and he said it was mainly for the taverns. Okay, for a Jimmy Smith or even Miles Davis, I can see that, but...Yusef Lateef?!?

Brendetta Davis "I Can't Make It Without Him" (Liberty 45)
    Barry White produced femme soul perfection, totally hypnotic.

And I just found this in Dusty Grooves' cheap bin too! Great record, great post.

• BeaverBeaver 164 Posts
    The reason I love 45s, mad freaked out jazz business, what were they thinking, not multi sales, surely?

I once asked a friend of mine why there were so many damned jazz 45's back in the day, for a music that's not really "singles" music, and he said it was mainly for the taverns. Okay, for a Jimmy Smith or even Miles Davis, I can see that, but...Yusef Lateef?!?

Brendetta Davis "I Can't Make It Without Him" (Liberty 45)
    Barry White produced femme soul perfection, totally hypnotic.

And I just found this in Dusty Grooves' cheap bin too! Great record, great post.

Thanks for the info, Brendetta Davis reminds me a bit of Phil Spector producing soul, know what I mean? Paid $60 for mine, quite a rare one, $200 on Manships list, nice find mate!!

• BeaverBeaver 164 Posts

I know, I thought us Soulstrutters were a bunch of hip hop listening cunts! But we are being treated to "proper" raers, have fryer-soulstrut relations reached a pinnacle?

Where's James Trouble?

Lets all live together, peace, love not war

• bull_oxbull_ox 5,056 Posts

That song is a jam though, I understand why its a 45 even though it is shocking...