Soul Recommendations

EastHastingsEastHastings 3 Posts
edited May 2012 in Strut Central
Hi,

I am looking for some more songs similar to...

Baby Huey - Hard Times
Soul Survivors - Darkness
Charles Bradley - the World (is going up in flames)
Cane and Able - Girl you Move Me
Al Green - Love and Happiness
Bobby Womack - California Dreamin'

Not sure if it's considered soul, but Cymande, Exuma, Brute Force, Grodek Whipperjenny were some of the other ones i liked (soul/psych maybe?).

I love the soul songs driven by drums. I love psych and prog and I've found a lot of good soul that kind of starts to veer off in that direction (Grodek Whipperjenny etc). I don't know a ton of soul/funk. I'm not even sure how to classify what I like really, but the jams in hard times and the world (up in flames) I really love. THe soul survivors one was the guitar bits and the voice (when drums fall out). Is anyone able to point me in a direction or offer up some recommendations.

Comments

• fishmongerfunkfishmongerfunk 4,154 Posts
    easthastings are you from vancouver?

it is generally considered good form to introduce yourself to the board before making requests or asking for reccomendations.

that said, in terms of soul strut reccomendations, i suggest you start with motown's reviews, the soulstrut 100 and then go trawling through the soulstrut archives for stuff that appeals to you. if you are willing to put in the time and effort, you will come away from this site more knowledgable about the records you love.

• Nah I'm in Ontario.

I've working through the strut 100 deal. I was listening to some of the mixes on the site too. The Bong Shit one from..Big Stacks I believe was where I found The Soul Survivors song. I was just hoping for some more directed searches. I am constantly browsing around this site now that i've found it, but there are so many different ways to go in soul it's hard to get a good direction to go in. The finds thread is interesting for me too, as I notice albums i've seen in my local store. I picked up an Ambergris? album because the chicken looked familiar from someones vinyl finds lol.

• If you like psychedelic funk, you should also check out the comp "Chains and Black Exhaust"

This is also essential:

• strataspherestratasphere Blastin' the Nasty 1,035 Posts
    Any of the Temptations lps produced by Norman Whitfield from 1969-'72 and the first two Undisputed Truth records also produced by Whitfield.

• Awesome recommendations. I never looked far enough into Funkadelic before. Amazing album. The Black Exhaust album is really cool. Such thick grooves. Loved hearing Black Rock - Yeah Yeah. The drums instantly reminded me of something. Black Milk sampled it on Deadly Melody. Great sample.
    I need your Lovin' is an awesome Temptations song too. Really enjoying those albums from that one producer. He does have an awesome sound.

• HorseleechHorseleech 3,830 Posts

• HollafameHollafame 844 Posts
    It's bound to show up at some point on the top 100, but Donny Hathaway Live is quintessential if you haven't already heard it.