U.S. RECORDS - 60's PRESSINGS COVERS QUESTION

edited April 2012 in Strut Central
Dear Forum members and vinyl collectors,
I'm new to this forum (although I'm music lover for almost 29 years now), so it's nice to find you all here

My friends and I, we talked always about the US record packing and the special scent of the 60???s vinyls.
To understand what I???m talking about, grab and smell an original Capitol Beatles sleeve, NOW.
Well, the question is this: what kind of cardboard was used in the 50???s/60???s?

I know that the method that used back then, was going like this:
Generally, two pieces of cardboards were wrapped around and generated the sleeve with the printed paper pasted upon them - the cardboard is that brownish type I???m talking about.
I found that some record labels (as ABC, RCA and Columbia) were using this method in the 70???s, also.
Most privately pressed LP???s of the 70???s, using the same method/cardboard which makes me think that this method was cheaper than the ???print on white cardboard??? method that American records used in the 70???s/80???s.

Also, I observed that some labels in the 90???s (like Rockadelic) used a type of special sleeves: one color paper was wrapped around the brownish cardboard, and then, the front/back covers were pasted-on the sleeve.

Does anyone know which type/weight of cardboard was used in the American records and a possible source?

In my opinion, European labels like ???Shadoks??? or ???Akarma??? using paste-on sleeves these days (2000???s), have not succeeded to get this kind of sleeve right.
The only contemporary record label that got that type of sleeve right, is ???Lion Productions??? (US) but they didn???t answer my mail

Can anyone help?

Nick-Greece

Comments

• RAJRAJ tenacious local 7,779 Posts
    Paging ThesOne

• I included two US covers examples: the first is an original pressing of Beatles' "yesterday and today" - don't panic, this is NOT the 'Butcher cover' it's a fourth state copy - I'm just teasing you, I'm not that rich!!!
    The second is "Sound Spectrum" by the US psychedelic / garage band 'Burning Rain' on 'Rockadelic' records (1993)
    enjoy
    Attached files

• HorseleechHorseleech 3,830 Posts
    I'm pretty sure Lion uses Stoughton.

You can also try Dorado or A to Z in NYC.

• skelskel You can't cheat karma 5,033 Posts
    Are you the fabled 60s gangster Nick The Greek?

• skel said:
    Are you the fabled 60s gangster Nick The Greek?

Oh no, I'm not, I'm a peace-lovin' artist

http://www.myspace.com/translucentnick

http://www.myspace.com/thevoyagelimpidsound

• RockadelicRockadelic Out Digging 13,993 Posts
    Translucent_Nick said:
    The second is "Sound Spectrum" by the US psychedelic / garage band 'Burning Rain' on 'Rockadelic' records (1993)
    enjoy

The jacket on the Rockadelic LP was purchased from Floyd's in Ville Platte, Louisiana. They were the last place that I know of in the U.S. that were still making the 60's style jacket using thick pressed cardboard. Floyd's burned down in the 90's and even though they are still in business, they no longer make LP jackets. I starting using Floyd's jackets in the late 80's and they were available in 5 colors and cost about $0.30 a piece.

• thanks for all the replies - I know that stoughton made sleeves for Capitol back in the 60's, but I afraid they won't answer
    - we had the basic idea to find and order the same cardboard and make our DIY covers
    thanks again - any help appreciated

• HorseleechHorseleech 3,830 Posts
    Translucent_Nick said:
    thanks for all the replies - I know that stoughton made sleeves for Capitol back in the 60's, but I afraid they won't answer
    - we had the basic idea to find and order the same cardboard and make our DIY covers
    thanks again - any help appreciated

Stoughton is probably only interested in dealing with larger customers at this point.

Try A to Z, they are more friendly towards custom projects. They were very helpful while I was a pain in the ass choosing the paper stock for The Apostles 45 I just put out.

http://www.atozmedia.com/

• DubiousDubious 1,865 Posts
    the stuff you want is what's called "chip-board" if you look at the back of a notepad its most likely this stuff.

http://www.walmart.com/ip/Medium-Weight-Chipboard-Sheets-12X12-Natural-25-Pkg/10881055

About 10 years ago I was pressign some cds and wanted that style for the covers. At the time i was good friends with a grpahic designer / manual letterpress professor at the university.. he was able to get the chipboard in a bulk order form some place and the minumim was INSANELY high. We split the order I made 500 cd covers out of it.. and i STILL have a massive pile of the stuff 10+ years later.