Downloaded Music Sound Quality

SooksSooks 714 Posts
edited August 2005 in Strut Central
Hey there, I'm a little dude DJ who's knowledge of digital music is sketchy at best. To keep the crowd happy, I'd like to bring in some downloaded music into my sets, but I want to make sure it sounds good (I have some principles). Anyways, so I was wondering:a) what bit rate should the mp3s be? (They seem to be mostly 192 kbps, with some 160 kbps - and I find out this information by hovering my mouse over the filename - is this giving me the right information?)b) I will have to convert the mp3s to standard CDs to play on the system, and my Dell can do this automatically with a program called Sonic. Does this degrade the sound at all? Is there a better way?thanks!

Comments

• DelayDelay 4,530 Posts
    you'll be golden, do not go below 160... this is the absolute minimum for a big system.

• MondeyanoMondeyano Reykjavik 863 Posts
    do not go below 160
    I'm becoming more and more picky when it comes to this and I don't like playing songs in less than 256, either just by myself or when playing out.

Also, with hard drives becoming cheaper everyday, it doesn't make any sense NOT to encode shit to your computer in the highest quality.