Favorite Steely Dan Album

RAJRAJ tenacious local 7,779 Posts
edited March 2012 in Strut Central
I got crazy love for Aja but also think this one is a straight banger:

Also for 80s smooth jazz apreesh:

Comments

• white_teawhite_tea 3,262 Posts
    Kind of a Gaucho dude, too, oddly enough

• at the moment royal scam, mostly becasue bernard purdie. also love that john klemmer solo on caves of altamira.

all fans of the 70's albums should check this one though:

• RAJRAJ tenacious local 7,779 Posts
    white_tea said:

Special delivery for Hoops McCann...

• that hoops mcann band record is sort of cool:

• DocMcCoyDocMcCoy "Go and laugh in your own country!" 5,913 Posts

• UnherdUnherd 1,880 Posts
    Is Can't Buy A Thrill an unfashionable pick?

I got my mom tickets to see Aja live last year, but found myself more excited once they got into cuts from CBAT. Been in heavy rotation for months now, so many jams..

That said, this thread has me feeling like it's time to revisit Royal Scam..

• HarveyCanalHarveyCanal "a distraction from my main thesis." 13,234 Posts
    It's Aja.

But also Can't Buy a Thrill because my uncle that roomed with me one summer when I was a kid turned me on to it.

And Gaucho because my friend's older brother used to drive us home from catechism on Saturdays in his Trans Am jamming it.

• skelskel You can't cheat karma 5,033 Posts
    I want to choose Teh Nightfly.

• JimsterJimster Cruffiton.etsy.com 6,889 Posts
    Many good ones. But at the moment, in the truck, Gaucho rules.

Sure,
    He's a Jolly Roger,
    Until he answers for his crimes.

No one doing lyrics like dem Dan these days.

WHIM-FOR-WHIM-R

RAJ said:
    white_tea said:

Special delivery for Hoops McCann...

I somehow missed this movie and I'm big on Better Off Dead, with a French girl, auto maintenance, burgers and a sax solo a dream-date blueprint. Consider it queued.

"Glamour Profession" will always hold a special place for me, though; this local house DJ, Boo Williams, put out all these mixtapes with his crew, the Strictly Jazz Unit, and on one of them he put on like this slightly sped-up, instrumental of the tune and I never knew what it was for years. And then one day at a thrift I found a NM Gaucho and definitely got pretty excited after hearing the song in its original form, LOL. I had never heard anything but the radio singles of teh Dan and my parents or friends were of no help, so I got into Steely Dan via a house mixtape and then buying their last album first.

• Pretzel Logic is probably the best overall record they released, but I keep coming back to Gaucho as my favorite listen. Something fascinating about the SoCal decadent lyrics combined with totally smooth music, especially on the opening 2 tracks. I envision driving along PCH with a 19 year old girl, maybe some Cuervo Gold and fine Colombian in the trunk. Here come those Santa Ana winds again.

• coffinjoecoffinjoe 1,743 Posts

• leonleon 883 Posts
    For me it's 'The royal scam', being my first SD album i bought when i was 15. These songs are imprinted in my memory. Also, the very idea of starting a track with a guitar solo ('don't take me alive') and the tunes sounding like a pop song when it's actually pretty complex jazzy stuff blew me away back then.

Aja and Pretzel logic entered my collection soon thereafter but the real magic for me is in the Royal Scam lp.

white_tea said:
    "Glamour Profession" will always hold a special place for me, though; this local house DJ, Boo Williams, put out all these mixtapes with his crew, the Strictly Jazz Unit, and on one of them he put on like this slightly sped-up, instrumental of the tune and I never knew what it was for years. And then one day at a thrift I found a NM Gaucho and definitely got pretty excited after hearing the song in its original form, LOL. I had never heard anything but the radio singles of teh Dan and my parents or friends were of no help, so I got into Steely Dan via a house mixtape and then buying their last album first.

Curiosity piqued, I tried to see if I could find this mixtape online and I managed to do it. If anyone wants to take a listen, here it is, with the Steely Dan remix whathaveyou right around the 27-minute mark. Anyone know what the remix is? There's a vague tracklist on that site. Incidentally, big Boo is DJing tonight at Grand Bar in Chicago; my friend runs the bar there.

• JimsterJimster Cruffiton.etsy.com 6,889 Posts
    Nice one, tea. Pulling the mixes down now.

• Big_StacksBig_Stacks "I don't worry about hittin' power, cause I don't give 'em nuttin' to hit." 4,670 Posts
    downtownrobbrown said:
    AJA

Peace,

Big Stacks from Kakalak

• BreezBreez 1,706 Posts
    RAJ said:

'Hey Nineteen' has always been one of my favorite songs by SD. The AJA Lp is a major banger though and not just for 'Black Cow'.

• OligeeOligee 289 Posts
    Countdown to Ecstasy is rad

• ElectrodeElectrode Los Angeles 3,083 Posts
    Is there gas in the car? Yes, there's gas in the caaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaar!

• TDLT02TDLT02 149 Posts
    Royal Scam for me, so many great tracks.
    "Green Earings" and "The Fez" sometimes getting spins at Jazz-Funk club nights in London back in the 90s by forward thinking DJs.

Link to a nice version of "Glamour Profession"

http://soundcloud.com/good-vibes/steely-dan-glamour-profession-la-homage-beat-77-productions-rework

• akoako https://soundcloud.com/a-ko 3,413 Posts
    AJA

im bout to make a black cow as we speak

• DrWuDrWu 4,021 Posts

Lyrically I marvel at things like Daddy Dont Live In NYC No More

• DubiousDubious 1,865 Posts
    that Boo Williams is takin too long to cue. But i think i "know" the version he's playing. I've been listenign to some killer Spencer Kincy mixes - aka gemini and he drops a sick very tracky loopy version of glamour profession in the midst of one of his sets (early 90s). Ive heard chi town mixes from all eras repping the OG too btw, and pretty sure it was a Loft / Mancuso cut too.

• DubiousDubious 1,865 Posts
    gemni mix witht he version im talkin bout (comes in around 2hr mark) http://soundcloud.com/r_co/spencer-kincy-aka-gemini

whole mix is reeeeeeediculous

• OligeeOligee 289 Posts
    There's a badass doc on Steely Dan's Aja on Netflix right now!

• CastenedaCasteneda 100 Posts
    "Gaucho" is my favorite. Smooth like butta! I'd put "Aja" in a close second though..