Strut-nip...the 90 best albums of the 90s

The_Hook_UpThe_Hook_Up 8,182 Posts
edited March 2012 in Strut Central
meh...some great under-the-radar inclusions like the Grifters, but otherwise, the absence of albums like Sleep "Jerusalem", Mercury Rev "Yerself Is Steam", any Melvins LP, Built to Spill's lame-asses getting more than one entry and Bjork not in the top 20 makes it more than a little suspect IMO.
http://www.pastemagazine.com/blogs/lists/2012/02/the-90-best-albums-of-the-1990s.html

Comments

• jjfad027jjfad027 1,594 Posts
    Gish better be on there

• JuniorJunior 4,853 Posts
    Is that the Josh(ua) Jackson?

Wasn't expecting much but fully lost the will to even maintain disappointment when I saw Moby at number 33.

I admire their insistence on trying to average one rap album per page while at the same time choosing quite possibly the worst cross section of rap releases I've ever seen in a best releases from a decade. Fair enough they may not be familiar with some of the more underground releases but they really still think that Lauren Hill is the best rap album of the nineties? And no Gangsta Rap of any kind, even Dre or Snoop?

Also..........

Arrested Development

• HarveyCanalHarveyCanal "a distraction from my main thesis." 13,234 Posts
    Shit is laughable.

The whole idea that gangsta rap categorically isn't worthy of making the list is trash.

Trying to rank Nevermind anywhere but in the top spot is garbage.

Dummy not being in at least the top10 is rubbish.

Endtroducing is in no way better than Illmatic. Neither is Things Fall Apart.

And no Soundgarden???

What sort of limp wrist wrote this?

• batmonbatmon 27,574 Posts
    The Chronic?

• white_teawhite_tea 3,262 Posts
    Junior said:

Arrested Development

Harvey, just let loose on this. Arrested Development: proto-Z-Ro

83. Arrested Development ??? 3 Years, 5 Months and 2 Days in the Life Of (1992)
    Along with De La Soul, Arrested Development???s rise in 1992 heralded an alternative to the reigning gangsta rap. Their debut album, 3 Years, 5 Months and 2 Days In the Life Of???, boosted by hit MTV videos for ???Tennessee??? and ???Mr. Wendal??? launched the group to two Grammys (Best Rap Album, Best New Artist) and millions in sales. The songs were an original fusion of hip-hop, blues, soul and funk with an easy Southern vibe. ???Groovy??? pretty much nails it. The band never reached the same heights again, but that debut stands tall, pointing to a future in which Southern rappers would rule the charts.???Nick Purdyo

white_tea said:
    Junior said:

Arrested Development

Harvey, just let loose on this. Arrested Development: proto-Z-Ro

83. Arrested Development ??? 3 Years, 5 Months and 2 Days in the Life Of (1992)
    Along with De La Soul, Arrested Development???s rise in 1992 heralded an alternative to the reigning gangsta rap. Their debut album, 3 Years, 5 Months and 2 Days In the Life Of???, boosted by hit MTV videos for ???Tennessee??? and ???Mr. Wendal??? launched the group to two Grammys (Best Rap Album, Best New Artist) and millions in sales. The songs were an original fusion of hip-hop, blues, soul and funk with an easy Southern vibe. ???Groovy??? pretty much nails it. The band never reached the same heights again, but that debut stands tall, pointing to a future in which Southern rappers would rule the charts.???Nick Purdyo

92 was a year after Geto Boys blew up. And 2 Live Crew came before Geto Boys. Look at the later rise of Southern rap to mainsream domination in the 2000's and you'll find more similarities between Geto Boys and 2 Live Crew than you will Arrested Development.

How about... Arrested Development: Proto Nappy Roots -- anyone remember them? Destined for a spot on Paste Magazine's 2,000 best records of the 2000s.

This was also pretty rich, on Massive Attacks' Mezzanine: "The reigning kings of Trip Hop took a sharp turn from their bouncy dance-hall anthems."

Bouncy dance-hall anthems? I don't think so.

• bassiebassie 11,710 Posts
    I get the theme but the writer's first few lines say it all, the number of genres alone make it difficult to wrap it up in 90 records.

The next article - artists' recipes - was pretty cool though.

Counting Crows No. 17!

• asstroasstro 1,754 Posts
    Terrible list.

white_tea said:
    How about... Arrested Development: Proto Nappy Roots -- anyone remember them? Destined for a spot on Paste Magazine's 2,000 best records of the 2000s.

This Nappy Roots song jams...

• DustedDonDustedDon 830 Posts
    90% of music "journalism" in 2012 is doo-doo, are ya'll suprised? most writers today have zero point of reference and speak unknowingly and arrogantly from their own private mind garden.

• The_Hook_UpThe_Hook_Up 8,182 Posts
    DustedDon said:
    90% of music "journalism" in 2012 is doo-doo, are ya'll suprised?

its the "don't say anything bad about anyone, just ignore them, passive-aggressive mindset" combined with a "everybody gets a trophy, my opinion is valid, blog culture" is recipe for mediocre insight into mediocre music. Yay.

• skelskel You can't cheat karma 5,033 Posts
    This list doesn't have ANY Swing Out Sister albums on it at all.

WTF is going on???

• granjerogranjero 147 Posts
    TWO albums by Built To spill gives you an idea of the kind of person this was compiled by.
    Built To Spill - URGH.
    (I'd never heard of this band before they did a mammoth support-set at a Dinosaur Jr gig i was at a couple of years ago. I couldn't understand the idolatry in that venue because to me they sounded and looked hammy as f*ck. Drank so much to get through it that in the end I couldn't concentrate on the main event.
    Failure.)

• DocMcCoyDocMcCoy "Go and laugh in your own country!" 5,913 Posts
    The_Hook_Up said:
    DustedDon said:

its the "don't say anything bad about anyone, just ignore them, passive-aggressive mindset" combined with a "everybody gets a trophy, my opinion is valid, blog culture" is recipe for mediocre insight into mediocre music. Yay.

Those are reasonable points you and DustedDon are making, broadly speaking. But where does "everything sucks" journalism fit in with all that? Because I think there's a far greater proliferation of that than anything else in "traditional" music criticism these days. Trashing something for fun isn't difficult - any idiot can do it, and they often do. But as a reader, a music fan and an occasional writer, I would much prefer to read an enthusiast talking about why he or she thinks this record I've never heard or that band I know nothing about is amazing, or someone trying to identify greatness and build a convincing case for it. I'm all for setting the dogs on things that promise lots and fail to deliver, but another piece on how Nickelback/Creed/Limp Bizkit/Kenny G/whoever sucks isn't really going to add to the sum of human understanding. Unless it's funny.

• Call for Soul Strut best 90 albums of the 90's!

So many great albums just in '93 alone...

• DocMcCoyDocMcCoy "Go and laugh in your own country!" 5,913 Posts
    Also, I'm going to stand up and say that I liked that Arrested Development album, and I bet I'm not the only one on here who did either. I don't ride for it, and I think history has shown it to be something of an aberration, albeit not in the way the people who compiled that list might think (i.e., an indication of the direction rap should have taken), but it's one of those records which helps illustrate how broad the range of popular rap music was in the early 90s, especially compared to now. I remember that and the first Lench Mob album being out around the same time, and I happily bumped the fuck out of both.

Oh, I roller-skated my 12-year-old ass off to some "Mr. Wendal," taped all their singles off the radio and a few years later landed a scratched, sans-case CD from this brunette cutie in high school.

• jjfad027jjfad027 1,594 Posts
    bassie said:

The next article - artists' recipes - was pretty cool though.

• The_Hook_UpThe_Hook_Up 8,182 Posts
    DocMcCoy said:
    The_Hook_Up said:
    DustedDon said:

Those are reasonable points you and DustedDon are making, broadly speaking. But where does "everything sucks" journalism fit in with all that? Because I think there's a far greater proliferation of that than anything else in "traditional" music criticism these days. Trashing something for fun isn't difficult - any idiot can do it, and they often do. But as a reader, a music fan and an occasional writer, I would much prefer to read an enthusiast talking about why he or she thinks this record I've never heard or that band I know nothing about is amazing, or someone trying to identify greatness and build a convincing case for it. I'm all for setting the dogs on things that promise lots and fail to deliver, but another piece on how Nickelback/Creed/Limp Bizkit/Kenny G/whoever sucks isn't really going to add to the sum of human understanding. Unless it's funny.

Im talking about how most (at least the ones I see) reviewers lean heavily in the direction of the indie rock aesthetic, they are uninformed on other forms music and have no faculty to review it, even if they like it or hate it. So then it ends up as hyperbolic praise for a handful of acts because the critics have no way to articulate why they think something fails or are worried about offending an artist (which is the case for a lot of local music reviews in the local press), so a lot music gets ignored. Not really wanting more fish in the barrell hate on bullshit like Nickel Bizkit...just more critique of the shoots but misses vareity.

• RisingsonRisingson 696 Posts
    How do have a top 90 of the 90s & not include Blue Lines?

Risingson said:
    How do have a top 90 of the 90s & not include In Utero?

No Pixies either.

• asstroasstro 1,754 Posts
    HarveyCanal said:
    Risingson said:
    How do have a top 90 of the 90s & not include In Utero?

No Pixies either.

In all fairness, I think all of the Pixies best records are pre-1990. But no PJ Harvey, no Beastie Boys, no Missy Elliott, no Fugazi, no Sleater-Kinney, no gangsta or heavy rock of any kind... c'mon.

• No 2Unlimited?? I call bullcrap.

• djwaxondjwaxon 411 Posts
    Typical list of an indie kid

• fejmelbafejmelba 1,139 Posts
    OptimusLime said:
    No 2Unlimited?? I call bullcrap.
    or scooter. wtf