DJ and music assistance needed (Central America-related).

Hotsauce84Hotsauce84 8,450 Posts
edited March 2012 in Strut Central
Help! I'm DJing in Guatemala (Panajachel) for Semana Santa in a week an a half and I'm a little nervous about not having enough local music to play. What kind of music should I have? Anything current that I should know about? I have some cumbia, but I'm working on getting some salsa and merengue. As I understand it, the area is very touristy but still, I've never been there before and I want to be able to cover all bases if needed.

Also, traveling with turntables is not really an option, so I bought an iPad 2 and I'm thinking of going the DJay app route. Read a lot of great reviews on it and it's much cheaper than buying a Serato-ready midi controller. That said, a friend of mine works at a well-known electronics store and on-the-hush-tip suggested I buy one, use it then return it. One of my best friends owns the bar I'm playing and she's the one that suggested I just play off my laptop and leave the tables home. I'd feel much more comfortable mixing in a way that's as close as possible to what I'm used to, that being turntables and a 57SL.

Any help/suggestions you holmeses can give would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks!

Herm