Roots of Rap and Proto-rap

jackwhitfieldjackwhitfield 2 Posts
edited March 2012 in Strut Central
Hey all, first post... just looking for any input or suggestions that show the evolution of rap through American history... Been looking into it a little and it's turning up some great music.

Bambaataa talks about some of the different styles on this documentary

There are loads of documentaries about the birth of Hip Hop and the general consensus is that the oldest roots lie in West Africa, in the Griot tradition of story/news telling over drums. Would anyone be able to point me in the direction of recordings / names to look for?

Then, slavery brought the African music to the States, and the music became the blues, and there are many examples of "talking blues" as well as a great compilation by yazoo and one by Harte I've not heard yet

There is also the tradition of work songs, preaching and gospel, for example the golden gate quartet:

All great stuff, and it got slicker in the cities in the 40s with plenty of examples from R n B, someone has made a good comp , people like Louis Jordan ( )

I'd love to hear more examples in funk if anyone knows of any, shit like this blows my mind, that signifying flex, Pigmeat Markham...

Also you have the very important contributions of the more recent poets like Gil Scott Heron, Nikki Giovanni, Amiri Baraka, any obscure contributions from the 70s VERY welcome, like this one , love the Stones throw Co-real artists release too.

So.... anything come to mind from any of these different genres?!

Nice won

Comments

• batmonbatmon 27,574 Posts
    jackwhitfield said:
    Hey all, first post... just looking for any input or suggestions that show the evolution of rap through American history.

Welcome!

b/w

Stuff White People Like

Check out Good Love by Isaac Hayes' Black Moses album.
    DJ Hollywood says he grabbed Hayes "rapping" on that song for he early Hip Hop Party improv raps.

• strataspherestratasphere Blastin' the Nasty 1,035 Posts
    I heard this record waaaaay before I heard Rappers Delight.

Where are my manners? Welcome!

• HawkeyeHawkeye 896 Posts

• HawkeyeHawkeye 896 Posts

• batmonbatmon 27,574 Posts
    Im feelin that Runaways Musical Enterprise shit.

• The_NonThe_Non 5,691 Posts
    RD Burman rapped on records in 1972
    Sowatchusayin

• billbradleybillbradley You want BBQ sauce? Get the fuck out of my house. 2,889 Posts

can't forget about The Last Poets (1971)

• c'mon son

• SIRUSSIRUS 2,554 Posts
    batmon said:
    Im feelin that Runaways Musical Enterprise shit.

first time i ever heard this was when the one phill most used to post on the board

• Shit! Just seen all these responses!

Butterballs, Exhursions heaviness (so is a lot of shit on that dudes youtube channel. The next in the playlist is by a band called 'Sex' with a little ditty called "I had to rape her" ) Baez on the rag beats Blondie anyday. Hawkeye, just uploaded this in case you've not heard it

Nice won

Yous seen this 40s b boyin, by the by

• PATXPATX 2,820 Posts

• mannybolonemannybolone Los Angeles, CA 15,025 Posts

• staxwaxstaxwax 1,474 Posts
    Hustlers Convention - 1973

&

it is said u roy was influenced by legendary dj jocko henderson who had a show in Miami in the 50's