anybody knowledgeable in rockabilly/roots-rock?

Cleary72Cleary72 5 Posts
edited March 2012 in Strut Central
super-little dude alert. :pasue:
looking to know some more songs by acts who brought it on the rockabilly/roots rock end of things in the 50's/early 60's.
kinda hoping somebody will just start dropping raer heatrock after raer heatrock in this post for my enjoyment.

-feigned throat clear-

Comments

• holmesholmes 3,532 Posts

• SoulOnIceSoulOnIce 13,027 Posts

It's all downhill from this

• holmesholmes 3,532 Posts
    SoulOnIce said:

unless you are Greil Marcus lol, then it's mainly uphill....

• p_gunnp_gunn 2,284 Posts
    holmes said:
    SoulOnIce said:

unless you are Greil Marcus lol, then it's mainly uphill....

SHE WAS A HIPSTER

• pickwick33pickwick33 8,946 Posts
    That's a pretty thorough box set. I don't have it, but as a self-respecting rockabilly/roots-rock fan, I have a lot of the stuff on it.

If you can't spring for a big ole massive box set, here are some single-disc options:
    - any compilation of Billy Lee Riley's Sun recordings
    - any compilation of Dale Hawkins' Chess sides
    - any compilation of Ronnie Dawson's records (although his 90s comeback albums are surprisingly good)
    - the Sin Alley anthology
    - anything by Charle Feathers (really, ANYTHING)
    - any compilation of the Johnny Burnette Rock & Roll Trio's early sides on Coral

I'd name names, but plenty of this stuff has been reissued several different times under different labels. Both vinyl and CD. But you'll probably know them when you see them.

And if you're REALLY gone on this stuff, check out the Crypt and Norton mail-order catalogs.

• HorseleechHorseleech 3,830 Posts
    ^^^^^^

And pretty much anything by Hasil Adkins:

• RockadelicRockadelic Out Digging 13,993 Posts
    Horseleech said:
    ^^^^^^

While I agree with this it amazes me how many old school hard core Rockabilly dudes from various places around the world just do not like Hasil or a lot of the oddball Norton-like stuff. It's almost like they consider that stuff "novelty" music.

• asstroasstro 1,754 Posts
    You gotta have some of the Gene Vincent stuff with Cliff Gallup on guitar as well IMO. Gallup and James Burton pretty much invented rockabilly guitar.

• diggin' on joe clay right now.

the vocals at the end is wrecking ball tough.
    elvis? elvis who?

Rockadelic said:
    Horseleech said:
    ^^^^^^

While I agree with this it amazes me how many old school hard core Rockabilly dudes from various places around the world just do not like Hasil or a lot of the oddball Norton-like stuff. It's almost like they consider that stuff "novelty" music.

The second time Hasil Adkins came to Chicago, the local rockabilly open mic was on the same night, just up the street.

Guess where all the rockabilly cats & kittens were. Not at Hasil's show.

For the hell of it, I ducked into the rockabilly open-mic briefly during the opening act's set. I told a friend of mine that I wasn't going to hang around long; Hasil was playing up the street. He replied that he'd already been burned the last time Hasil was in town - too drunk, didn't finish any songs - so he was going to stay right there at the local rockabilly hootenanny.

I went back up the road to Hasil's show. Place was packed, and he was far more coherent than that previous show. I don't regret going.

asstro said:
    You gotta have some of the Gene Vincent stuff with Cliff Gallup on guitar as well IMO. Gallup and James Burton pretty much invented rockabilly guitar.

I didn't mention Gene because I figured he'd be too obvious? But hey, can't go wrong, along with other giants like Eddie Cochran and Buddy Holly.