Post some 90's FUNK!!

EL CHAMACOEL CHAMACO 96 Posts
edited March 2012 in Strut Central
Here's mine:

From the band Dag off their debut release Righteous!
Whole album delivers. Smokin' guitar, on point vox, etc..

Comments

• disco_chedisco_che 1,115 Posts
    That Dag track is horrible. Glad I never heard of them before.

And the most obvious:

• HumanacatHumanacat 177 Posts
    The Crown Royals

I remember hearing this one in a record shop several years back, they were pretty decent, nothing amazing though.

• batmonbatmon 27,574 Posts
    VeryGoodPlusPlus said:
    From the band Dag off their debut release Righteous!
    Whole album delivers. Smokin' guitar, on point vox, etc..

DAG Righteous is my shit.

I first this song at an all-nude strip club in Chelsea. This shorty came out to this song.

ill add....

Lo-Key? Kansas City - Con-Funk-Shun steez Neo-Funk.

• mrmatthewmrmatthew 1,575 Posts
    http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B002A6O7O2/ref=dm_dp_trk10?ie=UTF8&qid=1331169375&sr=8-5

Skankin Pickle
    How Funk
    From the lp - Skafunkrastapunk

Cant find this on youtube anywhere!

This was probably my first brush with funk ever.

• finelikewinefinelikewine "ONCE UPON A TIME, I HAD A VINYL." http://www.discogs.com/user/permabulker 1,416 Posts
    Everything postet here is totally embarrassing so far, except the poets of rhythm.
    Funk in the 90 was at an all time low. I'm kinda surprised that funk is so dear to my heart, despite the fact I grew up in the 90s.
    Funk in the 90s was almost as bad as rap is today.

:hi: Batmon & HarveyCanal

• bull_oxbull_ox 5,056 Posts
    finelikewine said:
    Everything postet here is totally embarrassing so far, except the poets of rhythm.
    Funk in the 90 was at an all time low. I'm kinda surprised that funk is so dear to my heart, despite the fact I grew up in the 90s.

I don't know if I like any of the stuff posted either, but here's how I'm interpreting what you're saying:

You possibly don't like funk or rap, but you do like certain sounds from certain eras in some types of music.

It's the same as if someone who was only into punk or only into bubblegum or only into prog said the music they like is "rock" but anything they don't like isn't "real rock."

• RAJRAJ tenacious local 7,779 Posts

the mistake is to think that 90s dudes are going to replay Parliment and The Bar-Kays 20 years after the fact.

The handfull of real bands had other influences to mix into their shit but still kept a foot in the genre.

Hip Hop and Neo-Soul and Acid Jazz are the last group of cats really sustaining the vibe.

Redman despite being an mc had some Funk shit. D'Angelo Voodoo got Funk.

Dudes here are pretty much are stagnant after '85 and havent connected the dots.

• willie_fugalwillie_fugal 1,862 Posts
    some 90s funk from NOLA:

galactic's still doin it. they just put out an album on mardi gras day that i think is their best yet.

lots of new orleans' great brass band music came out in the 90s:

• bull_oxbull_ox 5,056 Posts
    batmon said:
    Dudes here are pretty much are stagnant after '85 and havent connected the dots.

Church.

finelikewine said:

Although I have to admit, that much of the 90s stuff hasn't aged well (Drums sounded so shitty on most of the late 80s til mid 90s productions), I don't think it's all that bad. Like Batmon sez, these groups where there at a that time and maintained their perception of funk in an era with it's own set of technologic and aesthetic refrences. I they wouldn't have been there a whole lot of people of my generation would have never heard of such music as funk. I was about 14-15 when all these Acid Jazz groups emerged and it was their music that widened my musical interests beyond rapmusic. It made me dig for more where this was coming from and soon I started to discover Jazz and old Funk. If I put on a Galliano or a Young Disciples album today it's more for nostalgic reasons than for pure enjoyment, but every now and then I discover a song that stood the test of time. First three Jamiroquai albums are still pretty good, even soundwise. Poets of Rhythm were far ahead of their time with the efforts to recreate the late 60s/early 70s sound. Most 90s funk was to polished in the horn section, too audiophile-crystalclear-anorexic in the drums, too late-night-talkshowband-wackawacka in the guitars and too 80s-Marcus-Miller-slappy in the bass. But still, they were "connectin the dots".

• esskayesskay 221 Posts
    Ndea is still the shit-used to have a mad crush on her in tha day.

• leonleon 883 Posts
    Like Batmon said, bands that recycle / mashup 20+ year ago funk maynot be the best answer, allthough it's fit for the post modern 90's. Top of mind for me was Red Hot Chili Peppers, but arguably they fall into this category. Remember the 'Fueling the flames of funk' 12"es? For me nineties funk is hip hop, no more no less.
    (edit): ironically, nineties hiphop has a lot to do with 'recycling' old funk.

• jjfad027jjfad027 1,594 Posts

• RAJRAJ tenacious local 7,779 Posts
    See Desco

Medeski Martin & Wood

Maceo's - Planet Groove CD

6:41 =

• oripsorips 238 Posts
    In Canada: Bass is Base

RAJ said:

That drumbreak part could be so nice if it didn't sound like played on empty trashcans in a backyard recorded from the third floor. What were these sound engineers thinking back then? That the 70s recordings of James Brown and JB's could have been even better if only they had put more reverb on the drums?

• finelikewinefinelikewine "ONCE UPON A TIME, I HAD A VINYL." http://www.discogs.com/user/permabulker 1,416 Posts
    just for shits and giggles:

• HarveyCanalHarveyCanal "a distraction from my main thesis." 13,234 Posts
    willie_fugal said:

lots of new orleans' great brass band music came out in the 90s:

Yep, exactly where the true funk was residing. There, and in rap music.

orips said:

This one's nice. Probably because there are no saxophones?

• That Dag track is horrible. Glad I never heard of them before.

Horrible?? Wh..wh..WHAT!!!

Mr. Disco, please give that record a listen. Keep in mind that
    was a live track, from a band which up to that point probably
    did not have many shows under their belt. I should have posted
    a clip from the album - which rules btw - but I didn't.

• FrankFrank 2,370 Posts

disco_che said:

I cant rep that Live version either.

disco_che said:

I believe I don't like the concept of funky rock in a nineties aesthetic. Never liked Red Hot Chilli Peppers, never liked Living Colour. Probably I just don't like rock. These guitars give me hemroids.

• VeryGoodPlusPlus said:
    disco_che said:

I believe I don't like the concept of funky rock in a nineties aesthetic. Never liked Red Hot Chilli Peppers, never liked Living Colour. Probably I just don't like rock. These guitars give me hemroids.

NO!! Not H-Roids!!

Fair enough, it twas another time and place..
    I like a few early Chilli's tracks... never understood
    the mass appeal they garnered though.. Saw
    Living Colour in '89 and enjoyed the show. Although
    I went to see the opener Urban Dance Squad and
    was not disappointed at all with their show.

• spivyspivy 866 Posts

aka: "it is all a big hustle"
    the best funk from the 90's is on soul explosion

disco_che said:
    orips said:

You can't be serious. Please listen to it again on proper speakers longer than a few seconds. Don't let the nice flute and fender rhodes in the beginning fool you. This one is a real turd. That cliched "sexy" p-funk, pseudo prince style singing makes the song completly unbearable, imho.

finelikewine said:
    disco_che said:
    orips said:

You can't be serious. Please listen to it again on proper speakers longer than a few seconds. Don't let the nice flute and fender rhodes in the beginning fool you. This one is a real turd. That cliched "sexy" p-funk, pseudo prince style singing makes the song completly unbearable, imho.

I'm serious. The refrain is a little bit toooo corny, and the singer isn't really major league but somehow it works for me. Perhaps it's because it has the same vibe like Alliance Ethnik "Respect" which, despite all the corniness, I hold dear because of many teenage summer party memories. It just hit some soft spot. Forgive me.

Am I uninvited to all future Bayreuth party projects now? :cry:

disco_che said:
    finelikewine said:
    disco_che said:
    orips said:

I'm serious. The refrain is a little bit toooo corny, and the singer isn't really major league but somehow it works for me. Perhaps it's because it has the same vibe like Alliance Ethnik "Respect" which, despite all the corniness, I hold dear because of many teenage summer party memories. It just hit some soft spot. Forgive me.

Am I uninvited to all future Bayreuth party projects now? :cry:

You can bet your ass on it and I'm sure you will burn in hell for your poor taste in 90s fonk. :lol: