Help me get my DJ toes wet

vinylguy84vinylguy84 3 Posts
edited March 2012 in Strut Central
I've been collecting soul records ??? mostly 45s ??? for about three years now, and I'm looking to start playing some of my records out. I have a full-time job, and I'm not really looking to become a professional DJ. I'm just trying to do a gig here or there for the enjoyment of it and to share some great music with people. Anybody out there have some advice on what I should be doing or where I should be looking? I live in Chicago, so I know there are a lot of seasoned DJs out there spinning similar records, and I'm not trying to step on anyone's toes. But any thoughts would be greatly appreciated.

Comments

• batmonbatmon 27,574 Posts
    Trying going to a local spot that would let you rock for on a quiet evening.

Or become friends with a dj and ask if u could rock for an hour before she gets on.

Have sex with some of the bartenders.

make a tape,cd,whatever of a 45 min set and give it to a dj or the bar manager.

Steal a mix offa soulstrut and say it yours and then ask for a night.

Bring a cute girl with you when your hustling.

• Hotsauce84Hotsauce84 8,450 Posts
    batmon said:

Some dude tried to pull this stunt on me for a guest spot at my weekly. Well, a very similar one at least. He stole a mix, sliced off the intro where the DJ stated his name then sent me a DL link. The file I saved to my desktop was titled with his name (DJ Javi), but when I dragged it into iTunes it was tagged with a different DJ's name. After confirming with said DJ, I emailed Javi back on some ol' "I've posted with Cosmo Baker, I know Cosmo Baker, I rep Zulu Goat Nation with Cosmo Baker. You, sir, are no Cosmo Baker."

• parallaxparallax no-style-having mf'er 1,266 Posts
    Herm said:
    batmon said:

Some dude tried to pull this stunt on me for a guest spot at my weekly. Well, a very similar one at least. He stole a mix, sliced off the intro where the DJ stated his name then sent me a DL link. The file I saved to my desktop was titled with his name (DJ Javi), but when I dragged it into iTunes it was tagged with a different DJ's name. After confirming with said DJ, I emailed Javi back on some ol' "I've posted with Cosmo Baker, I know Cosmo Baker, I rep Zulu Goat Nation with Cosmo Baker. You, sir, are no Cosmo Baker."

LOL!

• bboyparkzbboyparkz 549 Posts
    As far as I can see the tried and tested method of starting your own night is the best way to get ones foot in the door. A space, a soundsystem, some flyers and a bunch of friends is all it takes, if you make a little noise than the offers should start coming in.

One thing people often say though is "you've got to be on the scene to be part of the scene". This I agree with 100%, I've had guys roll up to my nights (when I used to be really active) with a demo tape, asking if they can get on, as if I'm going to give them a spot and I'd never seen them at my night (or other nights).

• All good stuff, I appreciate it (I don't know that my fiance would appreciate me having sex with the bartenders, but she is a cute girl who can tag along while talking with bartenders). I totally understand the "being on the scene to be part of the scene" philosophy. Even though my friends like coming with me to soul nights every now and then, they certainly don't have any connections with the scene. And I get the feeling they think my obsession with digging for records is a little strange. But I realize I don't want to be that guy who tries to muscle his way into a gig.

• batmonbatmon 27,574 Posts
    DO NOT CALL YOURSELF DJ VINYL GUY.

U can drop the the DJ moniker too while your at it. Its 2012.

• HarveyCanalHarveyCanal "a distraction from my main thesis." 13,234 Posts
    House parties is where it's at.

• Hotsauce84Hotsauce84 8,450 Posts
    batmon said:

U can drop the the DJ moniker too while your at it. Its 2012.

This is harder than you think. I've been trying to drop the 'DJ' for years now but every time my friends refer to me on Facebook, to other friends, when referring me, etc. it's ALWAYS 'DJ Herm.' Even when they book me and put me on their flyer and/or invite. "Music by Herm? I've never heard of that band." Ugh.