Kool and the Gang opening on Latest Van Halen Tour

RAJRAJ tenacious local 7,779 Posts
edited February 2012 in Strut Central

Comments

• EIGHTYEIGHTY 224 Posts
    I heard this on the radio this morning, my first thought was this is random as fuck. But they went on to say that this was DLR's idea. So that makes sense, lol

• I guess I would trade having to hear "celebration" for not having to see/hear Sammy Hagar.

• kalakala 3,361 Posts
    new vh is fucking heavy as fuck [excluding tattoo]
    harder than 1984 and diver down combined
    i got 2 free tix for friday's show
    psych

• paging mr. burns (sugar MILF related)

• I heard DLR describe some of the new VH tunes as "Thunder Funk".

• asstroasstro 1,754 Posts
    Reports are that KATG are actually going over pretty well at the shows, playing their set of 80's era material. I initially thought it would be a terrible pairing, but I guess the 40-50 year old crowd that is loves old VH has a soft spot for "Ladies Night" and whatnot. Good for them.

• whoa...that IS pretty random, i bet KATG are a bit of a weird/tough act to follow especially for VH

• BurnsBurns 2,227 Posts
    cookbook said:
    paging mr. burns (sugar MILF related)

Yes, not MILF, but cougar took me to thier first show of the tour two Saturdays ago.
    I was like WTF, KATG is opening?? I was more excited to see KATG, then VH!
    KATG tore it up, played 8 songs, all their bangers Hollywood Swingin', Get Down on It, Celebration, etc.
    Had young dude named Kareem, I think was his name, adding a modern raps to a few songs.
    They had all the white gurls dancin' in my section. They sounded badass, would had liked to see them as opener.

VH was a great show though, Roth is an entertainer, he was changing or adding new outfits on every song. Even had a 20' x 10' hard wood
    platform for him to slide and do his high kick on.
    There was a 15 min shred face guitar instr. solo with rolling fog blowing off the stage for Eddie Van Halen, only him on stage,
    pretty next level schitt watching him tap the strings.

They rocked, but I wouldn't had paid the $144 ticket, it just cost me a few beers and a $35 steak dinner at Outback.

• HarveyCanalHarveyCanal "a distraction from my main thesis." 13,234 Posts
    I friggin love Van Halen, but you couldn't pay me to go see them now. A similar problem I'm facing is I have all these old friends who are actually excited that the Cult will be here to do a couple shows during SXSW. Back in the day, I was the one to introduce the Cult to these friends of mine...and they keep assuming that I too am excited about seeing them live here in a couple of weeks. But fuck no, the Cult sucked live in their hey-day, let alone 20+ years later with all those extra pounds hanging down from their bellies. Ugh, I wish these old bands would just stay retired.

• asstroasstro 1,754 Posts
    HarveyCanal said:
    I friggin love Van Halen, but you couldn't pay me to go see them now. A similar problem I'm facing is I have all these old friends who are actually excited that the Cult will be here to do a couple shows during SXSW. Back in the day, I was the one to introduce the Cult to these friends of mine...and they keep assuming that I too am excited about seeing them live here in a couple of weeks. But fuck no, the Cult sucked live in their hey-day, let alone 20+ years later with all those extra pounds hanging down from their bellies. Ugh, I wish these old bands would just stay retired.

I feel the same way, although I have to say I've seen some videos of the current tour and VH musically sounds great right now, Eddie is playing his ass off and the band is super tight. DLR doesn't sound good though, and he looks like Steve Martin in those old "wild and crazy guys" sketches.

The Cult isn't even The Cult anymore, it's fat Billy Duffy, Fat Ian and some backup players. I'm glad I saw them in their heyday.

• RAJRAJ tenacious local 7,779 Posts
    No Michael Anthony = No Van Halen

This is always good for a laugh:

• EIGHTYEIGHTY 224 Posts
    Yup, that's deffinetly DLR doing a Steve Martin impersonation on stage, hilarious.

• LaserWolfLaserWolf Portland Oregon 11,517 Posts
    I thought DLR got a real job as an EMT.