SS A/V sqaud

ketanketan Warmly booming riffs 3,102 Posts
edited February 2012 in Strut Central
Looking for advice...

A friend has this beautiful bespoke wartime 7" recording of her family's voices (thanks to Pepsi!) on cardboard.

She'd like to find a way to digitize to share with other family members. I told her that I could help, but when I saw the rackord...

It's clearly in rough shape. I don't want to do more harm than good. Any advice on whether I should even try playing this on my turntable?

I have another cardboard record that's old but in great shape, which plays okay, so I'm inclined just play it.

Thank you.

Comments

• It will probably play, but will be pretty noisy with the cracks in the shellac.

I transferred a few of these recently. They are super delicate, so make sure she doesn't stack them or put them under any pressure. I would just dust them with a carbon brush and be ready to record them the first time you play them. you might want to increase the tracking force a bit if they look warped at all. I would also do this as soon as possible - any change in environment can hasten their demise.

The machines that recorded these seldom ran at the proper speed - you can make any adjustments digitally, even if they were done at 78.

• ketanketan Warmly booming riffs 3,102 Posts
    Thanks, that's great advice.

Sqaud, LOL