batmonbatmon 27,574 Posts
edited January 2012 in Strut Central

Have we discussed this already?

Latte Pas

Thief, Getaway, Mann........

Str8 Lava

Comments

• OkemOkem 4,617 Posts
    I thought it was great. The soundtrack is good also, it added a lot to the feel of the movie. But I would really like to see it with the original soundtrack that Gosling & the Director wanted, before the studio took over.

• girlie called me to tell me not to buy it as she already scooped it on her lunch braek. it's the perfect movie for today's climate of cool, and enjoyed by girls and guys alike.

am i the only one who's bothered by cliff martinez's soundtrack being all over brian eno's nuts?

• batmonbatmon 27,574 Posts
    The sountrack is cool but the whole retro electronica 80s sound has been visited before.

Micheal Mann Thief with the Tangerine Dream score reminds me of what this was going for.

• m_dejeanm_dejean Quadratisch. Praktisch. Gut. 2,946 Posts
    My favorite movie of 2011. Coincidentally, I just got the DVD and I'm gonna revisit later tonight. Nicholas Winding Refn is such an underrated director, I'm glad to see him finally get some shine. Hopefully the success of "Drive" will open some doors for him.

• knewjakknewjak 1,231 Posts
    sorry to break it to you dudes, but this was nothing more than a chick flick in disguise.

But props go to Gosling for pulling off the autistic stunt man so well.

• sticky_dojahsticky_dojah New York City. 2,136 Posts
    It's all about the lighting and the jacket ;)

• OkemOkem 4,617 Posts
    Jspr said:
    Okem said:
    I would really like to see it with the original soundtrack that Gosling & the Director wanted, before the studio took over.

That's interesting. Is that original soundtrack available anywhere?
    Nope. Well not really.

Johnny Jewel, the guy who was meant to do the OST recently put out a release called Symmetry - Themes for an imaginary film, but he claims it was more inspired by his work on Drive, rather than the actual unused OST he wrote for it.

You can read about / find a link to listen to it here http://www.guardian.co.uk/music/2012/jan/28/johnny-jewel-drive-symmetry?INTCMP=SRCH

• SIRUSSIRUS 2,554 Posts
    i enjoyed the movie.

also --

• DocMcCoyDocMcCoy "Go and laugh in your own country!" 5,913 Posts
    batmon said:

Have we discussed this already?

Latte Pas

Thief, Getaway, Mann........

Str8 Lava

Hell, yes. It's a Mann's, Mann's, Mann's World. Something of the mood of Collateral about it too. Also put me in mind of To Live And Die In LA at times (Hollywood-neo-noir-meets-French-new-wave-R)

Also, this;

Best use of music in any movie for as long as I can remember. Scorsese wishes he still had it like that. The movie of 2011 for me, by miles.

• batmonbatmon 27,574 Posts
    Mulligan is really cute.

• DORDOR Two Ron Toe 9,899 Posts
    For some odd reason when I watched this movie I thought of No Man's Land. Maybe it was Basil Poledouris's soundtrack.

Speaking of which. I wouldn't mind a remake of the film... Always enjoyed the opening scene.

"How about this one?"
    "Italian trash... besides, I only steal Porsches."

:get_on_my_level:

• Big_ChanBig_Chan 5,088 Posts
    The HK version is a lot better. Frankie Chan classic "Outlaw Brothers." Yukari Oshima is killin' it! The fights in this film are NEXT LEVEL!!!!!!!!!!