David Vorhaus

DocMcCoyDocMcCoy "Go and laugh in your own country!" 5,913 Posts
edited January 2012 in Strut Central
Pretty cool footage of the White Noise dude from 1979

Comments

• crazy, thanks

"Switch on the time warp navigator...."

• Awesome. The first white noise LP is a big favorite of mine.

That clip was cool, besides the fact that it looks like he's playing a giant dick near the end.

• DocMcCoyDocMcCoy "Go and laugh in your own country!" 5,913 Posts
    Controller_7 said:
    Awesome. The first white noise LP is a big favorite of mine.

That clip was cool, besides the fact that it looks like he's playing a giant dick near the end.

Yeah, avant-garde cock-rock. Even though some of the music sounded as if it could have been made within the last ten years (which speaks to Vorhaus' qualities as an innovator), I thought the utterly unselfconscious way he toted that thing about was what definitively date-stamped the clip as being from the 70s. People didn't really begin to acknowledge the inherent ridiculousness of the whole "musical instrument as phallic symbol" thing until the end of the decade, and even then it was only a punk/post-punk thing at that point.

• FlomotionFlomotion 2,390 Posts
    DocMcCoy said:
    Controller_7 said:

Yeah, avant-garde cock-rock. Even though some of the music sounded as if it could have been made within the last ten years (which speaks to Vorhaus' qualities as an innovator), I thought the utterly unselfconscious way he toted that thing about was what definitively date-stamped the clip as being from the 70s. People didn't really begin to acknowledge the inherent ridiculousness of the whole "musical instrument as phallic symbol" thing until the end of the decade, and even then it was only a punk/post-punk thing at that point.

I think the phallic significance was made pretty clear by an entire generation of Sixties axemen. There's a good reason why guitarists get more groupies than flugelhorn players. Although I'm now worried that While My Guitar Gently Weeps is not the song I thought it was.

The guy who put me up on that clip now tells me that Vorhaus is also the creator of this sound;

• DocMcCoy said:
    The guy who put me up on that clip now tells me that Vorhaus is also the creator of this sound;

Was that an outtake from Lost?

• HorseleechHorseleech 3,830 Posts
    DocMcCoy said:
    Controller_7 said:

No offense, but this is really far off. Look at hours of Hendrix footage for proof. Also, the horn as phallus was a staple of raunchy R&B shows much earlier than that. "Walking the bar" often included special movements designed to embarrass the ladies in attendance. I wouldn't be surprised if it was a part of 20's/30's juke joint shows as well.

That's not what I said. I said that it wasn't until the end of the 70s that it began to dawn on people how ridiculous it looked to be waving your instrument round like it was an extension of your dick. I just found it odd that the notion had even spread to the avant-garde as well.