New York Times names OAKLAND as one of the 45 Places to Go in 2012 - roadtrip related

staxwaxstaxwax 1,474 Posts
edited January 2012 in Strut Central
Reading this NYTimes article I was surprised to see they included Oakland as a top location for 2012.

45 places to visit in 2012

Im planning a west coast roadtrip with the fam for this summer - bringing the kids along.
San Francisco and LA are no brainers obviously. I guess Oakland and San Diego should be on the list.

Looked at the city guides on SS but Id still love to hear tips or previous experiences from strutters who live in the area or have done the same. Im thinking about two or three weeks, driving down From SF to LA.

Last time i was in LA was summer of '91, summer of '82 before that - so I need a brush up.

Any tips are much appreciated.

Comments

• DJ_EnkiDJ_Enki 6,471 Posts
    I was kind of surprised to see that, too, considering they're naming top locations around the globe, but it's nice for The Town to get some recognition. And there's more to it than just the new restaurants the NYT is talking about for sure. I don't know how old your kids are, but if they're on the young side, there's Children's Fairyland; if they're into science-y museums and such, the Chabot Space and Science Center is fresh.

And of course, you'll find all sorts of cool DJ nights happening out here.

• staxwaxstaxwax 1,474 Posts
    Thanks Enki - Ill definitely treat the young uns to disneyland, universal studios and the like. Not sure about my tolerance for too many amusement parks tho. Science museum looks cool.