Burrundi Black B-side Mp3?

batmonbatmon 27,574 Posts
edited December 2011 in Strut Central
My co-worker has been looking for the B-side to this for a minute.
He said the A-side was a pretty big club joint BITD, but he actually preferred the B-side.
Apparently Adam & The Ants were influenced by the tribal drums.

Did this eventually lead into Malcolm McLaren's "tribal"/ Afro-Beat steez on Duck Rock?
Or was that to far down the line for the connection? 81 to 84?

Ooopps i didnt realize it was '71?

Duh......im just trying to connect the dots.

Comments

• I have the 12"...it's a really cool record. I don't think it was recorded that early...I think it's from the late-70's. Anyways, I can record it for you eventually but not at the moment because my mixer is in the shop getting fixed!
    Actually I have a spare copy of the 12" if you wanna trade...

• batmonbatmon 27,574 Posts
    crazypoprock said:
    I have the 12"...it's a really cool record. I don't think it was recorded that early...I think it's from the late-70's. Anyways, I can record it for you eventually but not at the moment because my mixer is in the shop getting fixed!
    Actually I have a spare copy of the 12" if you wanna trade...

Dont worry we found it.

• i dunno...i think the other mix is better! for DJ purposes anyway. it has that 4 on the floor that kicks in and sounds huge!

• SIRUSSIRUS 2,554 Posts
    yeah, that drum machine was added after the fact -- what i wanna know is; who added it?

• It was this guy:

http://www.discogs.com/artist/Rusty+Egan

He was in some post-punk bands...most notably Visage...I guess this track was kinda revived or made popular on the Punk scene in the UK?

• bull_oxbull_ox 5,056 Posts
    From a blog:

This track is concidered to be one of the first disco songs ever. I think it's far more than that. Anhow, this was made in 1971 and sounds just as fresh today.

In 1971 Mike Steiphenson grafted an arrangement for guitars and keyboards onto the Ocora recording for Barclay Records, and the result was Burundi Black, a seven inch that sold more than 125,000 copies and made the British best-seller charts. In 1978, Barclay released a twelve inch version.

In 1981, the track was re-released on Barclay and Cachalot records. This time, Rusty Egan, drummer with the new romantic band Visage, and a French record producer named Jean-Philippe Iliesco recorded a new pop arrangement over the Burundian drummers.

Mike Steiphenson holds the Burundi Black copyright. Adam and the Ants, Bow Wow Wow, and several other bands have made hits with the Burundi beat as a rhythmic foundation. The Burundian drummers who made the original recording are not sharing in the profits.

I think Joni Mitchell's "Jungle Line" sampled in 1974 (but it is strangely difficult to find audio of that song online). I know it uses a Burundi drums field recording.