Nike (Not shoe or fashion related)

LaserWolfLaserWolf Portland Oregon 11,517 Posts
edited December 2011 in Strut Central
Based down the road from me in Beaverton OR.
They do a lot of stuff. Good and bad. I was talking to a guy who is working on this project and says it is a big deal in NOLA. He says that many NO High Schools have no football field and this will create another venue in a city desperately in need of more fields. He says people there are excited about this.

http://www.nola.com/politics/index.ssf/2011/09/nike_to_build_turf_football_fi.html
Mayor Mitch Landrieu's administration is expected to announce today that the Oregon-based megaretailer has committed to building a gleaming new complex at the sprawling eastern New Orleans park by Jan. 8. The deadline is designed to coincide with the Allstate Sugar Bowl and BCS National Championship, which will be held in the city in early 2012.

The Sugar Bowl Committee also is a partner in the project.

Though an Aug. 31 agreement between the administration and Nike doesn't stipulate how much the corporation will spend on the field or precisely what amenities it might offer, the deal commits Nike to paying the entire cost of the project. An administration official said the donation will be in the "millions."

I'd like to hear what people down there are thinking.

And before we start thinking Nike is great there is this:

Nike Won???t Change Name Of Its Joe Paterno Child Development Center

by Justin Fenner | 2:33 pm, November 17th, 2011
http://www.styleite.com/media/nike-joe-paterno-child-development-center/
Nike???s relationship with the Penn State football system has come under fire since news of the school???s child sex abuse scandal became public. But the sportswear and athletic goods company says it has no plans to distance itself from the school, or from the football team???s former head coach Joe Paterno.

Women???s Wear Daily reports that a number of critics want Nike to change the name of the on-site daycare center it runs at its corporate headquarters in Beaverton, Ore. In light of recent accusations that a former assistant coach, Jerry Sandusky, used his influence to cover up sexually abusing young boys, these critics say calling the center the ???Joe Paterno Child Development Center??? is inappropriate.