What do we think of this Lana Del Ray female?

downtownrobbrowndowntownrobbrown 446 Posts
edited December 2011 in Strut Central
I don't know what to think about her but I'm pretty sure she'll be a star. She seems to have that "it" factor.

Comments

• dukeofdelridgedukeofdelridge urgent.monkey.mice 2,453 Posts
    I'll wait for music bloggers to tell me whether I'm should like it or not. Who is her boyfriend/girlfriend/father/puppetmaster? Who's putting all the skateboards in her videos? Who knows about Diet Mountain Dew and Monaco? I can't make a call yet.

I do predict that there will be discussion about her upper lip.

15-year-old girls should love this?

I'd be into it if it were 1997. No lie.

• batmonbatmon 27,574 Posts
    Alicia Silverstone steez.

• staxwaxstaxwax 1,474 Posts
    Video Games is a great song - I got to see her perform a few songs recently and snapped this pic

However, she is not exactly what she seems to be

HIPSTER RUNOFF - Lana Del Rey 'exposed'

She had a previous attempt at a career as Lizzy Grant, with bangles producers behind the boards and gaga A&R's in tow before she was relaunched as an alt / indy fenom. Daddy is super rich and connected.

• The botched lip collagen is freaking me out.

• ReynaldoReynaldo 6,054 Posts
    "Video Games" is cool but she's still kind of a joke with her whole fake persona. Although I do think her thin lips were holding her back before; she just went a little too far in the other direction. It's hard to make something out of nothing.

• eliseelise 3,252 Posts
    Don't know about her lips, but those elbows...

• Bon VivantBon Vivant The Eye of the Storm 2,018 Posts
    Hard to call it. Her left elbow looks aight, but the right one is covered up. What is she hiding?

• DocMcCoyDocMcCoy "Go and laugh in your own country!" 5,913 Posts
    When it comes to blogosphere-anointed female Next Big Things, nobody's seeing this girl. Contains EXTREMELY NSFW chat.

First off, she's cute. Secondly, if Missy and Lil' Kim aren't making Missy or Lil' Kim records anymore, then someone else may as well step up to the plate. Thirdly, HIP-HOUSE REVIVAL.

I'm a little concerned she may steal a bit of Bonjay's shine, or, perhaps more likely, Bonjay will be perceived by some dimbulbs as attempting to steal her shine, but otherwise I'm in.

• Horseleech said:
    The botched lip collagen is freaking me out.

Word, she looks like Daphne Duck.

• *Double again

• trzakhstantrzakhstan IA 198 Posts
    video games remixed by joy orbison

• leonleon 883 Posts
    DocMcCoy said:
    When it comes to blogosphere-anointed female Next Big Things, nobody's seeing this girl. Contains EXTREMELY NSFW chat.

Yeah! I like this a lot more than Del Rey. That said, i guess she's gonna be huge and Azealia isn't...

• staxwax said:

wow this blog is hilarious!

latte pass I guess.

• trzakhstan said:
    video games remixed by joy orbison

i need an instrumental of this (and the larry heard remix).

she must have a fair amount of money behind her to land such a huge amount of promotion and these remixes for a first single. also, it sounds like something rejected from a david lynch soundtrack.

it says a lot that i heard more about her looks and her lips before i'd ever heard any of her music.

• mrmatthewmrmatthew 1,575 Posts
    rootlesscosmo said:
    staxwax said:

wow this blog is hilarious!

latte pass I guess.

I agree.
    Is there a name for this type of "indie-h8r" website that helps protect us all against corporate-created hacks like this?

• Reynaldo said:

pretty much... straight up :ehhx2:

• DJ_EnkiDJ_Enki 6,471 Posts
    Reynaldo said:

That wasn't a Kristen Wiig sketch? I'll be damned.

• bull_oxbull_ox 5,056 Posts
    Reynaldo said:

I'd never even heard of her before I saw this last night - will the album even come out now?

It was really that bad.

• Bon VivantBon Vivant The Eye of the Storm 2,018 Posts
    Don't get me wrong... ;blap:

• eliseelise 3,252 Posts

• DocMcCoyDocMcCoy "Go and laugh in your own country!" 5,913 Posts
    I have no strong feelings one way or another about Lana Del Rey, but this SNL episode points to the inherent problems of transferring what essentially seems to be a studio project to a live environment. Although it wasn't an impressive performance by any means, I couldn't hear anything that was wildly out of tune (LOL at that cloth-eared jackass Perez Hilton saying she was "way off", when everyone knows he'd have praised her to the heights if her label cut him a cheque). However, I could hear a singer who was clearly struggling to project her voice at that end of her register without the benefit of all the close-mic'ing she'd have got in a studio. It's all well and good having a "sultry" voice, but it needs to be able to cut through in all kinds of environments - particularly larger ones - and not just in those "intimate" boutique venues where there's a small handpicked audience of so-called tastemakers who are just as likely to say nice things about you in order to stay on the right side of the PR company as they are because you're any good.

All that said, the reaction seems to be a little disproportionate. It's a by-product of our accelerated culture that there's now as much of a race to be the first to write something off as there is to praise it.

• DocMcCoy said:
    IAll that said, the reaction seems to be a little disproportionate. It's a by-product of our accelerated culture that there's now as much of a race to be the first to write something off as there is to praise it.

Haven't most of the reactions to her, positive and negative, been pretty disproportionate considering she has had only one single (or one song, even)? Perhaps this backlash will just help balance things out?

Also, a distributor I know was joking a few weeks ago about the sheer amount of Lana Del Rey remixes he'd received - plenty of people seem to know a bandwagon when they see one...

• disco_chedisco_che 1,115 Posts
    The upper lip is hypnotic. Music is doing nothing to me. These incoherently vintage-styled footage montages look like a really poor attempt to cater the instagram-using hipsteurs.

BTW, she sounds a little like Linda Carlisle if there's anybody still remembering her.

• FlomotionFlomotion 2,390 Posts
    disco_che said:
    The upper lip is hypnotic. Music is doing nothing to me. These incoherently vintage-styled footage montages look like a really poor attempt to cater the instagram-using rate hipsteurs.

BTW, she sounds a little like Linda Carlisle if there's anybody still remembering her.

Belinda 'Go-Gos' Carlisle? Yeah, she does...same four note range.

• disco_che said:
    The upper lip is hypnotic.
    It looks like she's been punched in the face.

• The_NonThe_Non 5,691 Posts
    DocMcCoy said:
    I have no strong feelings one way or another about Lana Del Rey, but this SNL episode points to the inherent problems of transferring what essentially seems to be a studio project to a live environment. Although it wasn't an impressive performance by any means, I couldn't hear anything that was wildly out of tune (LOL at that cloth-eared jackass Perez Hilton saying she was "way off", when everyone knows he'd have praised her to the heights if her label cut him a cheque). However, I could hear a singer who was clearly struggling to project her voice at that end of her register without the benefit of all the close-mic'ing she'd have got in a studio. It's all well and good having a "sultry" voice, but it needs to be able to cut through in all kinds of environments - particularly larger ones - and not just in those "intimate" boutique venues where there's a small handpicked audience of so-called tastemakers who are just as likely to say nice things about you in order to stay on the right side of the PR company as they are because you're any good.

All that said, the reaction seems to be a little disproportionate. It's a by-product of our accelerated culture that there's now as much of a race to be the first to write something off as there is to praise it.
    )

I don't know about that. The way she's recorded is important, but quite frankly I had never heard of her before her SNL appearance. I was watching and thinking who did she blow to get onstage? I thought it was atrocious crap, and then found out her daddy is this billionaire who (theoretically) helped with connections/money to record, promote, get on TV and that made it all the worse in my mind. I think the backlash is a symptom of people sick of seeing "connected" men and women allowed to record and get famous off their garbage. My 2c.

• HorseleechHorseleech 3,830 Posts
    This was pretty terrible, and she went fairly out of tune more than once. The fact is, she doesn't have a real singing voice, and does the age-old trick of constantly changing registers to hide it. And she bizarrely kept singing in a low register that she clearly doesn't have, which ended up sounding like a parody. Seeing her live, I have little doubt that the studio recording was a result of stitching together numerous takes.

I almost felt bad harping on her lip job before, but the fact is that she would look perfectly fine the way she was - I don't know what she was thinking getting that done.

• BrianBrian 7,618 Posts
    Horseleech said:
    Seeing her live, I have little doubt that the studio recording was a result of stitching together numerous takes a massive server farm solely for Autotune.

• dayday 9,611 Posts
    DocMcCoy said:

That was my first time hearing her and those were my thoughts more or less exactly. The songs were pretty boring and uninspired and her performance was mediocre (at best), but I didn't hear anything 'HORRIBLE', or completely out of tune. It was just sub-par all around.

File under: meh.