Best Buy 400$ laptop for Serato?

4YearGraduate4YearGraduate 2,945 Posts
edited November 2011 in Strut Central
So best buy is puffing some prolly pos laptop for $400 but it got me thinking, if I get one, tale everything off of it except for bare bones essentials and run serato on it, do you think it would be stable? Please excuse my serato ignorance as I am still not really in that world. Thoughts?

Or am I feeling black Friday hype?

Comments

• chances are for $400 it is indeedy a POS laptop, i dont have serato either but these are the minimum requirements from the site:

PLEASE NOTE: These are the minimum requirements to run Scratch Live. For best performance and for use in professional situations we recommend you buy a higher spec computer. We also recommend Intel processors.

Available USB 2.0 port.
    1024 x 768 screen resolution or higher.
    Hard drive space for music: 5400RPM minimum, 7200RPM recommended for high resolution audio playback.

Mac
    2GHz Intel Core Duo.
    2GB RAM.
    OSX 10.5.8 or higher.

Windows
    2.2GHz Intel Core Duo.
    2GB RAM.
    Windows XP with Service Pack 3 or
    Windows Vista with Service Pack 2 or
    Windows 7. We recommend Windows 7 over Vista.
    *If you have a large library, you will benefit from having more RAM

• i'll bet someone could hand build you a PC custom for serato for under $400....

don't believe the hype.

• jaysusjaysus 787 Posts
    HP Mini is pretty sweet.

http://www.amazon.com/HP-Mini-210-3050NR-Netbook-Red/dp/B0051OLJXM

Just run an older version if it has problems.

• Oh snap! Good looking out!

• although the $299 price might be tempting, with a 1.66ghz processor and half the RAM recommended for the minimum specs, this might be more of a pipe dream then anything or a frisbee in the end, although the Atom processor isnt that bad and might have enough power to do what you need @ 1.66ghz, you'll wanna look at bumping up your RAM for sure which i dont even know if you can upgrade in these lil thing's, i know 5400rpm drives are the norm for lappy's and netbooks, i'd be looking for sumthin on the 7200rpm tip...

bare minimum isnt going to be the best bet imho...

whats the specs of that lappy from Bestbuy? it might do the trick and give you a bit more bang for your buck...

• SPlDEYSPlDEY Vegas 3,375 Posts

• ^^ THIS!

:feelin_it:

• jaysusjaysus 787 Posts
    The question is are you going to use the effects and sample drops inside of serato? The only "upgrades" the newer version comes with are the sample drops and effects, both of which i think are better handled with external hardware sp404, efx500. I run serato off a tiny asus netbook with no problems. Sweep filter to loop roll! Pump the fists!

• Here you go...
    Attached files

• dayday 9,611 Posts
    CYBER MONDAY BRAH

Both $399

TOSHIBA L755D-S5347 Notebook AMD A-Series A6-3400M(1.4GHz) 15.6" 4GB Memory DDR3 1333 320GB HDD 5400rpm DVD SuperMulti drive with Labelflash AMD Radeon HD 6520G

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16834214506

Gateway NV57H20u Notebook Intel Core i3 2310M(2.10GHz) 15.6" 6GB Memory 500GB HDD 5400rpm DVD Super Multi Intel HD Graphics 3000

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16834101263