Childhood educators, hip-hop fans, animation heads....

rootlesscosmorootlesscosmo 12,848 Posts
edited November 2011 in Strut Central
one of my best homies did this; he's shopping the pilot to kids TV networks.

I'd love to hear the strut's feedback, esp. on the racial/social-sexual undertones involved in casting a female azn as the DJ.

password: hiphop

Comments

• batmonbatmon 27,574 Posts
    I dont see anything wrong with the AZN DJ. I did fart a little when she spoke Ebonics and then sounded regular when she had to put out the decks fire.
    Overall the motifs used seem to be dated and for a "raised on the Golden Age" demographic from what the trailer shows.

Is the fourteen year old Drake fan caring about that?

I cant front ....if i had kids id probably sit and watch this shit.

• staxwaxstaxwax 1,474 Posts
    the evil midget pimp is a bit much

• batmon said:

I cant front ....if i had kids id probably sit and watch this shit.

I think this is an important point.

I agree with you that for the tween demographic he says he's going for, he may well miss the mark. I mean "tweens" already have their own shitty taste in rapp music (like Drake); and I could see them turning their nose up at this.

But like you said, for people of "our" generation who may have younger-than-tween kids, this *could be* a show that can be watched together.

An important selling point to the Pixar joints is that there's different layers to the content: there's the surface cartoon plot for the kids, and adult (not "adult" as in R-rated, but aimed-at-adults) cues for the parents to keep them engaged as well.

This show my homie did could potentially serve the same purpose if done correctly: hip-hop-fun cartoon content for the kids, "golden-era" cues for the adults.

• LaserWolfLaserWolf Portland Oregon 11,517 Posts
    My only opinion on this show is that it seems kinda 80s.

My opinion on letting children watch tv... another pet peeve.

TV is not educational.

One of the kids I am reading with this year is a kindergartner with no language skills. I mean he is not fluent in English, which is his parents first language. I am sure he has thousands of tv hours docked.

That is all.

• I don't think it's intended to be educational.

But yeah, I can respect your viewpoint. Growing up I had friends whose parents didn't let them watch TV. They were definitely the outliers, and sleepovers at their houses sucked obviously. They may have derived some benefit from it though. I dunno.

• ReynaldoReynaldo 6,054 Posts
    Seems a little too dated (graf, keytars, turntables, MCs, etc.)

• There definitely needs to be some autotune action.

LaserWolf said:
    TV is not educationall.

Cmon dude, Sesame Street and Electric Company is that shit.
    I dont know about nowadays but kids will rock to some shit that laced with good ideas in any era if done right.

• jamesjames chicago 1,863 Posts
    rootlesscosmo said:
    But like you said, for people of "our" generation who may have younger-than-tween kids, this *could be* a show that can be watched together.
    I'm not sure I'd agree. I don't think it's strong enough visually or stylistically to grab a casual viewer, and it gets enough of the aesthetic details wrong that I think it would be off-putting to an even nominally informed viewer.

• AlmondAlmond 1,427 Posts
    LaserWolf said:
    My only opinion on this show is that it seems kinda 80s.

My opinion on letting children watch tv... another pet peeve.

TV is not educational.

One of the kids I am reading with this year is a kindergartner with no language skills. I mean he is not fluent in English, which is his parents first language. I am sure he has thousands of tv hours docked.

That is all.

Yes, very 80s. Don't know how it will appeal to kids who don't even remember what CDs look like, let alone "decks on fire."

TV can be educational. I wouldn't have learned English if I hadn't watched TV. Many hours docked.

• james said:
    rootlesscosmo said:
    I'm not sure I'd agree. I don't think it's strong enough visually or stylistically to grab a casual viewer, and it gets enough of the aesthetic details wrong that I think it would be off-putting to an even nominally informed viewer.

The show is for kids; that's foremost. Any visual/subject-matter nods to 30-something hip-hop fan parents is simply the icing on the cake that may make it more tolerable to watch, or, at the extreme, actually enjoyable.

I think when you're watching a show with your kids you're already making a compromise w/r/t subject matter. It doesn't need to be perfect.

• bassiebassie 11,710 Posts
    Almond said:
    LaserWolf said:

TV is not educational.

TV can be educational. I wouldn't have learned English if I hadn't watched TV. Many hours docked.

Word. It was a very helpful tool for me to learn the language (and culture, etc.) to go along with school. It definitely helped my Mom who was at home all day when we first moved here.

• jamesjames chicago 1,863 Posts
    rootlesscosmo said:
    I think when you're watching a show with your kids you're already making a compromise w/r/t subject matter. It doesn't need to be perfect.
    I agree with that, but I'm not talking about subject matter; I'm talking about a baseline enjoyability.

For adults, I think the baseline expectation for a kid's show that they'd watch is "Don't aggravate me." For kids, I think the baseline expectation is something more like "Be interesting to look at." A show doesn't have to have it all, of course--plenty of parents will sit through aggravating shit if their kids enjoy looking at it enough, and plenty of kids end up looking at duller shit than they would have chosen for themselves just because their parents find it more palatable--but it oughta succeed on one count or the other.

In that trailer, there's a poorly-handled referentiality that makes it tough to enjoy on the upper level and a bland and confusing visual approach that makes it tough to enjoy on the lower level. Issues of subject matter and "be[ing] perfect" completely aside, there's a very basic appeal that I'm not seeing here.

random shit......

Can u entertain kids with Classic Hip Hop Motifs?

U look at the Boondocks which i didnt watch but saw enuff that dude was up on current styles and still mined previous styles.

School Of Rock was using Classic Rock motifs and that worked out fine for a two hour movie.

I think the AZN sista as DJ is pretty 'current'. I dont think having a little white kid reference Rick Rubin is.

Why is the 'Ghetto' kid the antagonist? His look is probably whats really hood with kids nowadays.

The Boondocks made for adults and kids didnt lock itself into the multiculti PC mode that i get from this project.

I think with some tweaking shit could fly with a fresher demographic.

If i did watch this i bet the music would be questionable. Theres a gang of great Hip Hop made by teenagers, but im somewhat skeptical that the craetors can duplicate that energy.

Im watching Charlie Brown right now.