George Benson Pressing Check?

RAJRAJ tenacious local 7,779 Posts
edited August 2005 in Strut Central
What's the deal with Erotic Moods on Paul Wynley?This is the first time I have ever come across it and the copy I just bought looks kind of newish but was in a box of OG funk and soul LPs.Can somebody give me a matrix # to see if this copy is a new or older pressing?Tanx

Comments

• I can't be sure but i think mines an OG judging by the cover wear and smell and the number is PWLP 131A and PW131B on the bside

• The vintagggge pressing of that one does look a little newish (white, all-in-one cardboard sleeve) so you should be okay.

• Those Winley pressings are cheap as hell - when I bought my copy of Erotic Moods I was operating under the belief that it might be a re-issue. Same thing though, came in with a bunch of vintage funk and jazz albums. I think its just the pressing (and the Paul Winley low quality standards). I've heard this from other people too.

Deep beats and deep crates,
    SONIC

• I have seen reissues with x-rated writtin in white on the cover but mine which I hope is an OG doesn't say it though.

I don't know from what issue the cover for the boot was scanned.

My copy also has the PWLP-131-a and PWLP-131-b aswell as P-A-R 1970 on side b in the run out groove.

Anybody?

Dress

• chasechase 767 Posts
    mine looks newish too

• mine has 'x rated lp' on the front in the same typeface as the title, but the back sleeve is pasted on paper. looks old, smells old, has the run out groove serials the same and what looks like a small k with a squiggle? doesn't look like the sleeve has been scanned in any way? when was it repressed? also - the songs on the lp are in a different order to the sleeve - P

• pickwick33pickwick33 8,946 Posts
    I have seen reissues with x-rated writtin in white on the cover but mine which I hope is an OG doesn't say it though.

Mine doesn't say it either. I'm positive mine is an original pressing, since I got my copy about ten or eleven years ago...before this whole business of repressing old LP's verbatim started.

The vintagggge pressing of that one does look a little newish (white, all-in-one cardboard sleeve) so you should be okay.

When the original pressing of Erotic Moods came out, in the mid- to late-70's, companies had already started releasing things in white cardboard sleeves, so I wouldn't trip on it looking "newish." I believe the brown cardboard was already being eased out the back door.

• johmbolayajohmbolaya 4,472 Posts
    I don't have it but I have another Paul Wynley album. Kind of has that quonset hut vibe to it.

• GamleOleGamleOle 508 Posts
    Mine has "X RATED LP" written on it. It looks old and has the brown cardboard inside. Maybe a bit light brown, but it definitely looks old. I can't imagine anything else than this being from the 70's.

I think there's two old pressing. One with X Rated and one without; the question only is which came first?

• can't help with "which one came first", but I also would like to know.
    my copy has also x-rated on cover - it is an original old one - bought it long before the reissue.
    is there an original without "x-rated lp" on cover?

I don't have it but I have another Paul Wynley album. Kind of has that quonset hut vibe to it.

It takes balls of steel to put out these insanely half-assed albums and then name the company after the owner. You can tell this man didn't give a flying fuck.

• AlGarthAlGarth 353 Posts
    Just FYI I think most of this has been covered before..maybe here even:
    http://soulstrut.com/ubbthreads/showflat.php?Cat=&Board=crates&Number=272469&Forum=All_Forums&Words=erotic%20moods&Match=Entire%20Phrase&Searchpage=0&Limit=100&Old=1year&Main=272123&Search=true#Post272469
    Sorry about the huge photos.
    I don't think the ones that say "x-rated" are re-issues but rather second pressings ammended to inform the public etc..probably as a result of the controversy.
    Who knows.

• The bootlegs I see use the "x-rated" cover. I have never had an original/vintage "x-rated" cover for some reason, always the regular cover without that text.

• AlGarthAlGarth 353 Posts
    The bootlegs I see use the "x-rated" cover. I have never had an original/vintage "x-rated" cover for some reason, always the regular cover without that text.

Oh well maybe I have an original and a bootleg then. Damn.

• Is Paul Winley still alive?

He's one of the people that a mag like Wax Poetics should interview along with Aron Fuchs, Sylvia Robinson, Bobby Robinson etc. That should make an interesting read... I cant believe nobodys done that yet even though some of the above mentioned might refuse to answer any questions.

Dress

• BigSpliffBigSpliff 3,266 Posts
    Is Paul Winley still alive?

He's one of the people that a mag like Wax Poetics should interview along with Aron Fuchs, Sylvia Robinson, Bobby Robinson etc. That should make an interesting read... I cant believe nobodys done that yet even though some of the above mentioned might refuse to answer any questions.

Dress

Yeah Wax Po & Tuff City get on like a house on fire See: Eddie Bo re-issue issues.